If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

The Keto diet

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The only thing I can recommend is to just kill all the temptation that you can. You realize that unless you're drinking black coffee with cream, Starbucks and all those flavored drinks are out.

The whole "Dessert" mindset has to go. You're just giving up dessert entirely. I found that if I wanted to compromise, cheat, or indulge once in a while, I would fail entirely. The only way this is working for me is by shutting off the temptation entirely. Pretend you're diabetic AND celiac and then get 'er done :D
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Member
    What I usually get at starbucks is 'nonfat sugar free hazelnut latte' which is easily substituted (here) with coffee and a shot of sugar free hazelnut syrup.

Cam sits and munches on frosted cereal right now...I'm having water.

Brian, you're my hero!
    trying a low carb chicken recipe from a free kindle slow cooker low carb cookbook...it looks kinda scary. cream of chicken, shredded chicken and chicken broth. Smells good. :)

I need more water, but I've been good today! YAY! I love you guys here for pointers and support too. Thank you! :)
    edited Jan 2012
    <3 Keep it up and we'll all be trim and hot before you know it. Sexy times!
    Sweet!

Almost broke down at school. Forgot I was going to be there over 7 hours, and only made one wrap.

No vending machines had jerky or pork rinds...gotta feel sorry for the guy next to me, because my stomach was growling. BUT...I was good! Grabbed pork rinds at the store for my drive home. :)

Day 2 down! Many to go.
    I guarantee you that any jerky you get from a vending machine is going to be soaked in sugar. The only no/low carb jerky you can get is homemade or from a boutique shop.
    Maybe I should hit the OH border? I heard there's some good jerky there. (and it's about 30 min away. :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    A little more tired today than I've been since Thursday's "Holy crap I'm so tired I'm gonna die", but I think that's more because child #1 was having a rough night, keeping us both up.

Something's working, since I was down 9lb this morning. Gotta love it.

Still working on tuning my ratios. I've got myself almost perfectly down to 65/30/5, but my fat:protein ratio keeps getting a little bit out of whack.

As things tend to go, i'll probably hit that 'perfect balance' right around the time I'm ready to quit.
    edited Jan 2012
    day three...addicted to avocado and lettuce wraps. got sf jello in case i really have to kill someone during pms.

got pork chops, chicken and hamburger at the store. Grilling chicken for 'chicken parm' with avocado later. My coworker and her husband started keto with me this week too. She's finding low carb stuff on pinterest or things that can be keto'ed (?) Crammed two bags of pork rinds in the car for emergency snacks.

down 4.2! YAY!

I'll probably just start noting this in some blog so I don't bore you all to death.
    it's great! please continue to bore us because someone else may be reading all of these posts and be inspired to lose weight. keep it up!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I don't need to lose weight but I am reading these posts and have been for awhile. Keep making them, I'm interested in the progress people are making.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited Jan 2012
    I don't need to lose weight but I am reading these posts and have been for awhile. Keep making them, I'm interested in the progress people are making.
    I've been doing this too.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Me also-- ahem, me too....
    edited Jan 2012
    My friend that I work with and her fiancee are Keto-ing with me, and she found this video of a gal who nuked deli sliced provolone cheese and made it into a taco shell.

I used shredded mexican cheese...and.. well, look. :)

BACONIZED..
    I showed Joe, of course it's hungry dude style. LOL He asked me to blog it. :)
    Here's the video of the taco shell from cheese. I used shredded mexican
    Fantastic :D
    blog: http://thehungrydudes.com of course. :)

and my friend sent me the thing for her pulled pork butt she put in her tacos. It's a huge link with a ton of pics attached as one huge pic. Didn't seem right to post that because it's so big (yes, that's what she said. LOL)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    Official weigh-in-day #2 is coming up quickly (tomorrow). But I sneaked a peek at the scale on sunday: 272.4. 12lb even in 11 days. Can't beat that.

I'm loving the not being hungry and not snacking thing (which I think was 80% of my problem). I figured this would be the reason I'd like Keto better, and it looks like I'm right.
    WTG!

Down 9 again as before. I know I'm going to screw up today, but I know it won't be horrid. I made chili with only meat and tomatoes, I'll dump cheese and sour cream in it for dinner. The cornbread I made for the fam is killing me...Maybe I'll melt some cheese to have 'crackers' with it? That'll be later though.

Off to get ready for class.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    I don't know if 4g of carbs per "muffin" is too much for y'all on this diet, but I saw this recipe and thought of you :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm
    Down 17lb this morning (23 days). I've got my menus pretty well set up now so I don't track anywhere nearly as pedantically as I did the first week and a half.

I haven't seen a number less than 270 in a VERY long time.

Energy levels are up and stable (no post-meal crashies), and I can see my intake dropping overall on an almost daily basis.

My only "complaint" right now is that I don't get hungry quickly enough. I find myself going at least 6 hours between meals because I'm just plain not hungry most of the time. This was what I was hoping would come out of a diet like this: eating foods I love, and automatic portion-control.
    Congrats!

I had a crap week (not food wise, I did ok there) but had a FML day this morning and went "screw it. I'm going to Frita's" today.

Tried their garlic cilantro fries and a cuban sandwich. Ate half of the bread on half of the sandwich and some fries. (as in, about a dozen.) SOOO DAMN GOOD! But..I wanted to die shortly after. Overdose...seriously. Pain. Sick..uggggh..

I'm having the other half of the sandwich for dinner as the guys are at a tech award thing, and tossing the bread. Meat, cheese, bacon, and chipotle mayo.

Scale today was 186.8. So, a little under 10, so I'm happy.
    Progress.

At my fattest, around 285lb:

Right now: 242lb:

164381_175414629157992_100000683676063_413013_5738838_n.jpg
    720 x 540 - 67K
    IMG_20120124_123210.jpg
    1530 x 2048 - 518K
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    Congrats on the progress. :)

John.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    I would narrate Brian's pose in the second picture as, "I'm sexy and I know it."

So proud of you, Brian. You look really great.
    You look incredible B! I know youre feelin pretty doggone good too. :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Brian, my wife says you look sexy. Had she known that you were going to be such a stud, she would have kicked my ass to the curb and shacked up with you (before you met Nicole, of course).
    We would have had such awesome Polish babies too

• BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Congrats! Looking great :)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    We would have had such awesome Polish babies too
    And your home would always smell of cabbage and kishka. :) By the way, I bet that would be a good keto diet meal...
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    lurk lurk lurk.
    ok, um, pizza crust thing is pretty good.

Once you squeeze the hell out of the cooked pulverized cauliflower, it's actually liftable. Before it fell apart and you'd have to eat it with a fork. Not totally NY style, but workable.

Making food for the week today so I'm not screwing this week up again. I'm tired of starting over. :( Adobo chicken in the crock pot, eggs with a couple slices of bell pepper, spinach and chili lime chicken burger from Trader Joe's in the cupcake form made and bagged. (I toss the cheese on top in the morning.) and making sausage with pasta for the family for tomorrow while I'm in school. They get that, and I get my remade hopefully WASHED lettuce and unspit on unwich wrap from Jimmy John's tomorrow for dinner.

Who's got a pork rib recipe for me for Wednesday? I have those country style ribs I'd usually steam and toss caribbean jerk sauce on thawing. (advantages of being broke...actually clearing out your freezer. ;)
    Watty, if you can make it to E&L Supermercado in Detroit (Mexicantown), they have a "butt rub" which is carb-free that is PHENOMENAL. I completely coat meat in that butt rub and it's delicious.
    PS: Watch the Jerk seasoning: Jerk traditionally has a lot of sugar.
    mmm...butt rub....I like big butts and I cannot lie...

looking for a recipe...won't be in D til Saturday. I make a rib rub. Will look around for something I suppose. Trying to not get sick of hot sauce too quick.

Actually, I think I have some rubs from Milford Spice. Hmmmm

Honey Chipotle and Espresso rub.

How bad is granulated honey? I don't think I liked the espresso rub (but that has sugar in it too)
    Honey = carbs :(
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I saw this and thought of you all.

Apologies for breaking hscroll. ;)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    @Thrax already gave @djmeph a twitter backhand for this, @RyanMM.

(I wish I could say that is the most times I tagged, but my Ubuntu folding article beat it)
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Austin, TX Icrontian
    So much bad information.
    ok, egg cups are done, crock pot adobo chicken is almost done, and I made my own low carb bbq sauce. That ish is hot. LOL Made the fam's sausage and veggie pasta too. I'm kitchen free now for the next couple days. WOOT.

I can grab a couple of the egg cups and toss them in my bag for between classes and then have my unwich for dinner.

So my number is back up to 7 lost.
    You and @djmeph are going to have to get new avatar pics soon...it's getting hard to recognize your sexay.
    :thumbsup:
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    @Thrax already gave @djmeph a twitter backhand for this, @RyanMM.

(I wish I could say that is the most times I tagged, but my Ubuntu folding article beat it)
    Thing is, this isn't Twitter, so if @Thrax wants to Bring It™, he's gonna have to put some effort into it.

Every rational critique of Taubes comes down to the fact that he makes it sound like you can consume unlimited calories as long as you're eating zero carbs, which even if true is a pretty impossible way to function.

Few are debating the metabolic repercussions of carbs, their effect on insulin, or the fact that newer studies are showing that the same number of calories on a highly restricted carb diet leads to far greater caloric burn, and thus weight loss.

What is Keto but an extremely low glycemic index diet?

So besides the nonsense about unlimited calories, let's hear what part of that chart is inaccurate.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    It's not that you can eat an unlimited amount of carbs, it's that the process of turning fat into energy is very inefficient. Although I haven't fully tested this theory, I would wager that it would be damn near impossible to eat enough food to have a net caloric gain sans carbs. It only takes a small amount of carbs to produce the energy you need in a day, but it takes a lot of fat to produce that same amount of energy. That's why the weight loss seems so rapid. You're processing massive amounts of fat just to function on a daily basis. Technically, you should count calories, but it's kind of pointless unless you are a garbage disposal. I haven't been counting calories. I eat as much as I want, just no carbs. It's working very well.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    Also, roasted chicken is the gift that keeps on giving. I got a whole chicken yesterday for $4, at a grocer I can walk to. Roasted it with salt, pepper and paprika. Separated the bones and stewed them in the juices overnight to make about a half gallon of chicken broth for soup. Next I'm going to skim the fat off the top and use it to cook greens. Just put some of the chicken over a salad with cheese and mixed greens, and a dressing that I make with mayo, dijon mustard, curry and heavy cream. I love this diet. :-)
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Mountains Icrontian
    For the record I ate a fair amount of carbs (the "healthy" kind) this January -- and protein and fat. I still lost 17 pounds (8% of my weight when I started). The gifts that keep giving are exercise and will power. The ingested forms of calories are details you can figure out and adjust based on your own goals and needs. For example, if you plan on pushing some iron and gaining some muscle mass, you may want to eat some carbs first and some proteins after.
    Any person who has ever lost weight in the history of history was for one of two reasons:
    1. They lost a limb (or similar catastrophy)
    2. They burned more calories (energy) than they took in for a period of time
    Nobody lost weight because they stopped eating carbs, they lost weight because as a result of not eating carbs they took in less calories each day than when they were eating carbs. Carbs aren't evil, they have their benefits if you choose to use them.
    Nobody lost weight because they stopped eating carbs, they lost weight because as a result of not eating carbs they took in less calories each day than when they were eating carbs. Carbs aren't evil, they have their benefits if you choose to use them.
    This is true. And I don't think anyone is arguing that fact. Those of us doing this, however, have discovered that it's much easier to eat less when it's foods that keep you fuller.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    That's the crux of it and why the poster is "bad information". Carbs don't make you fat any more than protein or fat, they just allow you to eat more without feeling as full. I'm not denying that dieting ideas around keto/atkins work for human nature, but there is a difference between how weight gain works (for the vast majority of people, gain = more calories taken in than used with the sorta exception for those with hypothyroidism etc) and what our human drives for consuming certain types of calories are.
    Hypo/Hyperthyroid still end up utilizing the same mechanism. People with hypothyroidism have a lower metabolism and burn fewer calories per-time than normal. Hyperthyroids have a higher metabolism and burn more.
    We should make a separate thread to discuss science and argue and stuff. I'm hoping that this thread serves as a motivator to people who want to lose weight and think this might help them. Seeing arguing about science might discourage someone.