I need an MMO or game for class

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Gaming
Hello lovelies,

I'm taking a class right now where we have to do a case study on information overload. This can be any situation in which someone is bombarded by too much information at one time. The only thing I could think of was the overload that can come when you first join a very detailed game; an MMO, for example. I think it's easy to get overloaded when you're playing by yourself on a game you are very unfamiliar with.

For that reason, I need to pick out a game to play through a little bit and use for this class. I would prefer it to not be a game I've played before. I'd also like it if it were free, but I guess paying for a month or so of an MMO wouldn't be that bad.

Do you have any suggestions? Right now I was thinking Star Wars: The Old Republic, just because it's so gosh darn popular....

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    SWTOR will death grip you in and never let go. I give the game a 9/10 knowing what is to come for the next two years

Forsaken World and Star Trek online is F2P
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Just do a free to play MMO so you don't have to drop $50. Rusty Hearts is good. There are a ton.
    You want info overload in something you cannot comprehend upon your first few plays?

Eve Online has a free trial. There's your animal.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    Oddly enough, I'd suggest Star Trek Online. Even though I'm used to games and MMOs in general, STO is just different enough that it took some extra effort to really get a grasp for the mechanics and playstyle. On top of that it seems to be in a bit of a boom since it went free-to-play, so the zones and chat have been lively from what I've seen.

On another note, I'd also wonder if you could study that subject better by looking at areas like telemarketing, call dispatch centers, or even 911 call centers. I know our local police are actually open to have tours and involvement of the public in what they do. You may be able to write them a proposal to study there, maybe with follow-up interviews with the operators.

Good luck and I'd actually like to know how whatever you do goes, and what your results are.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Prime's right, if you want overload, Eve Online will accomplish it. I've been playing for a little under a month, and barely have any comprehension of what I'm doing; that's with the advantage of having someone else helping me who is an expert at the game.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I highly suggest EVE. I play it. The learning curve is HUGE for such a simple concept as pew pew spaceships. I can hook you up with a 30 day trial (I think), or maybe just a 14 day. Either way...

Because EVE is so complex for rookies, many large corporations (EVE's version of guilds) try to pull in rookies and train them in simple tasks so they can be most effective. There are a few guides out there that outline the concept. Check out this one [.pdf]:

http://cdn.goonfleet.com/newbies/newbieguide-final.pdf
    See? That shit is fucked
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    League of Legends.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Definitely EVE. League of Legends is smalltime comparatively.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    Star Wars: Rebellion on "very fast."
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I will throw my hat behind EVE Online as well. I'm pretty sure folks that are still playing can't grasp everything. That's why most of the player run corporations have officers for different aspects of the game.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Starcraft 2 is a pretty good choice if you're playing against someone good when you first start out.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    It seems like Eve Online is the biggest contender here; I also already own Oblivion if we think that there's enough information on there to overload a new player.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I highly suggest EVE. I play it. The learning curve is HUGE for such a simple concept as pew pew spaceships. I can hook you up with a 30 day trial (I think), or maybe just a 14 day. Either way...
    Just to clarify on this point, the publicly available trial is good for 14 days. However, if a current member sends an invite to you to try out the game, you get a 21 day trial.

See? That shit is fucked
    Yep, and that's the nice way of putting it. :D
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Another vote for EVE. Just don't get into it, we'll never see you again. It's happened to a friend before.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'd toss in a vote for EVE as well. I played it for a little while a few years ago and man...that was enough. Give that a shot.
  • You want info overload in something you cannot comprehend upon your first few plays?

Eve Online has a free trial. There's your animal.
    This. So this. I've been playing Eve for 2 years now and I still don't fully understand it.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Use a bigger spread sheet.
  • I'd need eyefinity for a big enough spreadsheet.... and I just can't afford that at the moment.
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys!

I thought about doing Eve for a long time, but I decided eventually that I didn't want a game that was that well known for information overload; I wanted something that was a little newer. Also, honestly, I just didn't feel like playing Eve. Heh.

I decided to do Minecraft instead. So now, I need people to take a survey for me-- if you've played Minecraft or if you ever have. The survey is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHJpR2VoMzlJNXdPRmZQdkszUTRQNkE6MQ

EDIT: fix't link -Tushon
    Thank youu!!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Surveyed.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Done. Won't be hard to figure out which one is me ;-)

Edit: Made an announcement thread on The Minecraft forum to get more Players Attn that may not see this thread.

-Digi
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I see you decided to go ahead with the Minecraft. EVE would be a good call, though; I played for years and...really never understood shit. I quit a few times when it just got too confusing.

I'm also going to toss up the idea for E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy. I don't know if anyone else here has tried to play that game, but...woah. Great game, but woah.

You'll easily get enough material from Minecraft, but I would argue that it's less information overload and more information misplaced outside the game instead of inside. It's like getting a box of polystyrene pellets and being told to build a lego fort. It's not really an overload as much as a lack of information. E.Y.E. on the other hand...
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Done it. Looking back the only reason I know how to play is because of the Icrontic community, not to mention the fact that it's because of the IC server that I find it as fun as it is.
    Thanks guys!! :D
    Minecraft is terrible example of information overload. If anything, it's information underload.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    I have to concur with prime Minecraft is the exact opposite of information overload. It doesn't present you with enough information to get started out. Were I a professor and a student handed that in as their test subject I'd deny the project.

Information overload is not - here's a stick now figure it out.
    Information overload is - I heard of this site called Wikipedia - why don't you summarize it for me and I want it on my desk by tomorrow.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Minecraft Information overload is - I heard of this site called MinecraftWiki.net - why don't you summarize it for me and I want it on my desk by tomorrow so I can beat Minecraft.
    Fixt

My take is that it's not that the game itself presenting overloads of information, it's the fact that there is a lot to take in to start out (and then evolve) knowing what you are doing (Which isn't in the spirit of Minecraft but that is a whole other thread).

-Digi
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    For Minecraft at least my definition of information overload wasn't 'holy crap there's all this micromanaging to do' or 'Why can't I hold all these recipes'

It's simply the sheer amount of possibilities to be taken advantage of in the game, not only that but as Digi said there's just so much in the game that you have to consider when you're just starting that it can seem a little daunting.

I know that personally on the first day of IC's server restart I simply couldn't fathom what I had to do and that, if it wasn't for the directions of the other players (Thank you all very much by the way for answering all of my questions) I likely would've simply stopped playing because I couldn't at the time comprehend what to do there's just so much there.