Been a while since I upgrade my box in any way shape or form so I thought I would share my upgrade details with people some of it may help!
I'll try and put some photos on a bit later - my phone currently has them stored need them off
Anyway specs before update:-
Core 2 Duo E6300 (lapped) - O/Ced to 2.9Ghz - 24/7 runner
Gemini 2 CPU cooler
4Gb OCZ Vista Gold 4GB DDR2 (OCZ2G8004GK)
Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard
ATI 4870 1Gb GFX
PC Power & Cooler 750W Silencer PSU
Lots of HDD's
etc etc :)
So I decided to get the little warrior replaced after years of faithful service, I ordered a Q6700 and it arrived this morning. (L818A) Also on order was 4Gb more RAM
Straight after work the sandpaper came out and ....... was not needed! :bigggrin:
I looked over the surface and its very nice for an intel very flat, so I went unlapped, praying I was not sight impaired later on!
With stripping the box to bits I made notes of the HDD cabling (I have lots of HDDs so i numbered them with marker), power button, reset etc etc - so I would be able to rebuild quickly. I also took the chance of some rewiring to make it a bit cleaner. A few new 120mm zalman fans into the case replacing some akasa amber fans.
Dust was a factor with it being under the desk where I work in my study so I took some parts (CPU Cooler etc) to the garden and they met my cheapo air blower I bought for this very job :rockon: (160mph winds)
I rebuilt this machine fairly quickly and turned it on........ no go :(
The motherboard was giving me a C1 error - this I know is memory related normally the RAM is not getting enough voltage so it refuses to start.
Solution ...... its easier than to explain than my mini tantrums round the house due to the millions of scenarios I tried!
I removed everything apart from 1 stick of RAM - we boot fine - phew!
I configure the BIOS upping the northbridge voltage a few steps and the southbridge 1 step. Reboot and we are in windows no problem......
I remembered when I ordered the first lot of RAM a nice comment someone left ages ago about this RAM - follow this link below http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36347
(basically we re-flash the RAM so its SPD details are ok)
I had to do this for each memory stick individually and finally we booted with all 8Gb installed!
Overclocking this processor was kids play - 365 x 9 (3.29Ghz) with 1.36v to the CPU
The max temps from prime95 (set to max heat) are as follows
Core 0 - 52c
Core 1 - 53c
Core 2 - 50c
Core 3 - 50c
Nice grouping - am sooo pleased I did not have to mirror shine the CPU
There is plenty more in reserve but I'm quite happy at this speed for the moment, its been going Prime stable for over an hour now.
Next up is to work back from the current 2.1v to the RAM see if I can move back to 1.95v which I had for 2 sticks.
I'll see what I can do for pics in the next few days.