If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Forget the console and build a gaming PC! A value comparison

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    That wasn't part of your argument! IT CAN BE DONE.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    Bah, damn trolls anyway ;)

PC is better, HANDS DOWN oh wait the important part IMO!! :P

The article is true in its statement the THE MARGIN OF DIFFERENCE IS CLOSING between PC and Console. As I read it thats what i understood the point to be. Maybe its not quite as close as depicted, but defiantly close enough that if you were going to by the PS3, you couldn wait till the next paycheck and get a Good PC.

Give it 5 more years and it will probably be cheaper to run a high quality PC game Rig. then to buy a pre-built game console unit. < - Also, all opinion, not factoids.

and i'm done, but continue on, tis interesting watching the conversation
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited Aug 2009
    What fire?

So can my kid's Leapster.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited Aug 2009
    Koreish said:
    Also, just to stoke the fire:

So can the X-bawx 360.
    Sorry, forgot the quote! :O
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    I know that this has been said, but I have always felt that it's consoles that have benefited from PC gaming, and not the other way around. When you get a console, games will often push the limitations of the hardware that's available, but once they reach that limit it's dunzo. In the PC gaming market, it's the players that push the hardware industry. If it weren't for that push, consoles wouldn't be have as good or as cheap as they are today. It used to be that a lot of games came out on the PC before it came out on a console. Obviously that isn't true anymore, but PC gaming is just as popular as it's ever been and continues to drive the gaming market. I guarantee if people lose interest in PC gaming, consoles will suffer.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    djmeph said:
    I know that this has been said, but I have always felt that it's consoles that have benefited from PC gaming, and not the other way around. When you get a console, games will often push the limitations of the hardware that's available, but once they reach that limit it's dunzo. In the PC gaming market, it's the players that push the hardware industry. If it weren't for that push, consoles wouldn't be have as good or as cheap as they are today. It used to be that a lot of games came out on the PC before it came out on a console. Obviously that isn't true anymore, but PC gaming is just as popular as it's ever been and continues to drive the gaming market. I guarantee if people lose interest in PC gaming, consoles will suffer.
    That is an interesting point. One of these days I would really like to sit down and write a historical retrospective on the innovations in gaming, a time line of sorts. You are right, in many ways the PC drives that innovation in the console market. 3D graphics technology, online play, in game voice, game mods and content expansions, user created content, all things originally driven by the PC market.
    edited Aug 2009
    Cliff_Forster said:
    That is an interesting point. One of these days I would really like to sit down and write a historical retrospective on the innovations in gaming, a time line of sorts. You are right, in many ways the PC drives that innovation in the console market. 3D graphics technology, online play, in game voice, game mods and content expansions, user created content, all things originally driven by the PC market.
    Exactly, and that makes the argument of value completely moot. The only reason you get more value from console gaming is because of the geeks who buy two or three $500 video cards every six months. Within a couple years those three video cards will be shrunk down into a gaming console and sold for a fraction of the price. The value in console gaming wouldn't exist if it weren't for the competitive nature of the PC gaming market.
    edited Aug 2009
    djmeph said:
    Exactly, and that makes the argument of value completely moot. The only reason you get more value from console gaming is because of the geeks who buy two or three $500 video cards every six months. Within a couple years those three video cards will be shrunk down into a gaming console and sold for a fraction of the price. The value in console gaming wouldn't exist if it weren't for the competitive nature of the PC gaming market.
    Part of the point I wanted to make is that the $500 video card is no longer necessary to have a good gaming experience on PC. But from a historical perspective, I think you make a great observation. PC gamers that pour that kind of passion into the technology have historically driven the innovation that eventually spills over into the console market.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited Aug 2009
    This post nicely sums up one of the things that kills me about PC gaming. The video card manufacturers, ATI, and nVidia need to take their marketing departments into the street and shoot them.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2133
    edited Aug 2009
    And it's exactly why many people just give up and buy consoles.
  • edited Oct 2009
    Basic PC approximately $400
    Xbox 360 Pro – Includes console, controller, headset, hard drive. – $300
    Xbox Live 2 Years – $100
    Total: $800 just to have all the hardware you need to equal the required functionality of the gaming PC.

something wrong with this math? he added basic PC with Pro xbox and live to get 800. but he is saying its 800 JUST for the xbox stuff. he's 400 over.
    edited Oct 2009
    gotsmurb said:
    Basic PC approximately $400
    Xbox 360 Pro – Includes console, controller, headset, hard drive. – $300
    Xbox Live 2 Years – $100
    Total: $800 just to have all the hardware you need to equal the required functionality of the gaming PC.

something wrong with this math? he added basic PC with Pro xbox and live to get 800. but he is saying its 800 JUST for the xbox stuff. he's 400 over.
    No, it takes into account that everyone requires a PC, the console does not replace the functionality of a basic personal computer.
    edited Oct 2009
    And we've already been over that everybody doesn't need a PC.

/thread
  • edited Oct 2009
    Was mispelling intentional? lol
    edited Oct 2009
    Is "mispelling" your version of irony, or did somebody actually misspell misspelling somewhere?

Would you care to point it out for the editors? :)
  • edited Oct 2009
    funny isn t it? PRICE of persia
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2009
    Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed. -ed.
    edited Oct 2009
    If people are giving up on PCs for gaming consoles, Idiocracy is near.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited Oct 2009
    I like money.
  • KoreishKoreish KCMO Icrontian
    edited Oct 2009
    I thought this horse had been beaten dead a long time ago. Yet here it is getting kicked some more. Some one call animal abuse and/or PETA.
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2009
    Don't call PETA, they'll shut us down and then firebomb the building.
  • edited Oct 2009
    PS3 and 360 are barely HD. I dont know of any games that run natively at 1080p. they run at 720p or lower. Halo3 was 640p (awfully close to 480p wii), and CoD4 was 600p. the consoles just upscale the images. like when your dvd player upscales standard def onto an HDTV.

if you already own a desktop (nearly all american households do), all you need is a video card. the radeon 4670 and 4650 are more powerful gpus than those on both the 360 or PS3. both consoles use gpus that are 2-3 generations old. both the 4670 and 4650 cards are under $70, and require no external power supply. they also will run games easily at 720p, up to 1680x1050. 360 and ps3 cant run games truly at 1080p, they just upscale 720p, or lower.
    If you really want any basic desktop pc to destroy and console, you can spend 150 for a GTX 260, or 130 for an HD4870, and $50 for a decent power supply, and you are set. Then 1080p is legitimately yours.

So, to summarize, if you already have a desktop that is less than 3 years old, PC gaming is ridiculously cheaper, and more powerful.
    Only if you have a laptop (which arent upgradeable), or no computer is the question even worth asking.

I recently helped my friend get a Dell 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, with 3 GB ram, and a 320 GB hard drive, with a Radeon 4670, for under $500. It is far more powerful graphically than either "HD" console, and is also a computer, on top of it.

and just so that no one can say i am a pc fanboy, i have every console and handheld this generation along with my gaming pc.
  • edited Oct 2009
    console gaming certainly is less of a headache, and you dont need to know anything about hardware. though console games do have many bugs, they are fewer and generally fixed more quickly than on the pc.
    that said, the article brings up the value of pc gaming vs consoles.
    of that, i think there is no question the pc wins, unless you dont care about resolution beyond 720p, dont care about jaggy lines and dont care about crappy textures in your games.

its true that you dont need a pc, but if you are part of the over %80 of american households that already has a pc, you dont just pretend it doesnt exist, and go buy a rip-off alienware. upgrading the pc you already have vs buying a new console has a serious price differential.
    edited Oct 2009
    blake said:
    PS3 and 360 are barely HD. I dont know of any games that run natively at 1080p.
    Pixeljunk Monsters runs at 1080p, I'm pretty sure.

I love that game :D
    edited Oct 2009
    I want to meet the two people that own a PS3 and have absolutely no other computers, smartphones or PDAs in their household whatsoever.
    edited Oct 2009
    You won't meet them. They don't have computers, and thus don't get on the internet ;)
    edited Oct 2009
    Plus, I don't live in Crapalapastan.
  • edited Oct 2009
    sadly all those pc hardware facts don t change the fact that developers are for the most part focusing on console releases since a while now... Still good games to play on pc but not quite as much as before and for most AAA titles you need to have a console to play them.... I miss the good old times of pc gaming and certainly hope for a come back....
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2009
    Hmm... that's funny. I have seen a whopping 1 game in the past 2 years that was console exclusive that I actually gave a crap about. Louis, would you care to list some of the superb, game changing titles that are console only?
  • edited Oct 2009
    i love fire building,

my friend installed windows xp on his ps3
    edited Oct 2009
    Cool story, bro
  • KoreishKoreish KCMO Icrontian
    edited Oct 2009
    Now, now Prime that's no way to treat the guests.

BTW it was a very cool story.
  • edited May 2010
    okay, 1st of all, im not gonna be saying both pc and console have their good points and weakness. im jus gonna say pc kik ass when playing games. and about the point where pple can use ps3 for a bluray player, i jus dont buy that as saving money.a bluray disc is much more expensive per disc that a hd dvd. plus, u can olwez watch online.
    and dont give me that "its against the law look" i download games online, crack it, play it and its free. quoting my best enemy "whe every one is sin-ning, its a sin not doing it!!"
    finally, we know all those hardcore computer developer would jus one day get out of bed,brush their teeth, and make some kik ass graphic card or what ever they do,, its their routine! but consoles comes out like one at a time,(probably cuse they dont wanna lose money)..
    so my conclusion,, dont kid ursef,, jus admit computer can be make u save lotsa money..
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    But, evidently, it cannot teach you to type like an intelligent human being.
    edited May 2010
    Thrax said:
    But, evidently, it cannot teach you to type like an intelligent human being.
    I read a human, then I though, maybe a Gungan?

"Meesa, savesa mooey, mooey money withs mah gaming PC!!"

I suppose in any language, he is still correct.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    Cliff_Forster said:
    I read a human, then I though, maybe a Gungan?

"Meesa, savesa mooey, mooey money withs mah gaming PC!!"

I suppose in any language, he is still correct.
    Correct how exactly? I mean it's not like console can't be chipped and have their games pirated also - oh heavens no....
    edited May 2010
    kryyst said:
    Correct how exactly? I mean it's not like console can't be chipped and have their games pirated also - oh heavens no....
    Oh, not that, I don't recomened anyone pirate anything. Just that PC's generaly kick ass :cool2:
    edited May 2010
    Cliff_Forster said:
    Oh, not that, I don't recomened anyone pirate anything. Just that PC's generaly kick ass :cool2:
    Ooohhhhhhh that. Are PC's better then consoles generally. Yeah I have to agree generally they are. Is gaming better on a console though - absolutely :rockon:
    edited May 2010
    kryyst said:
    Ooohhhhhhh that. Are PC's better then consoles generally. Yeah I have to agree generally they are. Is gaming better on a console though - absolutely :rockon:
    I'm being trolled....

edited May 2010
    edited May 2010
    Slow day at the office, what can I say.
    edited Apr 2011
    Bump. Interesting to revisit this two years later, in light of what's changed, the richness of Steam, and the PSN outage...
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    I think, as someone have already mentioned, that it comes down to personal preference.
    I got my PS2 way back in '01. Short time after I built my first gaming rig, and never looked back.
    I've tried the 360, the PS3 and the Wii, and it was ok, sure, but I'm not tempted to buy one.
    I enjoy playing on my computer, I don't enjoy playing on a console. And that is an argument valid for me for not getting a console. The rest of you just have to find your arguments for one or another, or maybe both if that's what you're into.
    edited Apr 2011
    Two years later and nothing has changed. Some people like PC's some people like consoles. In saying that though more and more titles are console focused and also out for the PC. Most A title games are made for the console then adapted to the PC. Which is dumbing down the PC gaming market as being a better experience when it comes to the playability of the game.

Also while graphics are generally still improving on consoles as developers are improving their skills the power of the consoles aren't increasing. Yet PC gaming is still in the cycle of pushing graphics and requiring more powerful hardware to run them.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    Two years later, prices for PS3s & 360s have continued to decrease while a 2 year old PC gaming system from the article would still play games now. Though it would be a tough argument to assume a system built 2 years ago would still have its original parts. OS, SSD, Graphics, Processor upgrades are all tempting upgrades that would make that PC a current, but expensive gaming platform.

However, 2 years down the road, with the question, what is better value between an XBOX 360 vs a PC, I would probably say a 360. You can always resell games that are no longer played to acquire new ones or use a gaming service to rent games. Thankfully Steam offer sales on older games to add value for the PC. But I think the bottom line is that the console offers a predictable, consistent gaming experience, while the PC's gaming experience is dependent on configuration/drivers/etc. Save yourself the aggrevation.

Having said that, I haven't owned a console for over 11 years since I had a modded PSX nor have I had a console in my household for about 8 years.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    Butters said:
    But I think the bottom line is that the console offers a predictable, consistent gaming experience, while the PC's gaming experience is dependent on configuration/drivers/etc. Save yourself the aggrevation.
    I'm not sure if this still applies. It was certainly true once. I mean: I have clear memories of the hassle of getting PC games to work across multiple configurations. It may have even still been true a couple of years ago, but it's been a long time since I've found a new game that didn't work with my PC because of hardware conflicts (I specify 'new' because I tried to play Alpha Centauri a couple weeks ago, and it told me that it's not compatible with my CPU).

The place Xbox (and I'm assuming PS3, though I've never used one) still has an advantage as far as compatibility is multi-player matchmaking. That's the one place where the PC is still lacking a system that "just works" the way the consoles do. Even that, however, is improving with services like Steam Works.

Ont the other side, I think the 'all your eggs in one basket' argument against consoles, which rises from this whole PSN episode is a non-starter. My PC gaming eggs are even more in one basket than my console gamings eggs are. If Steam goes down without warning, I might loose access to my games entirely, not just the multi-player options. For me, that would be a Big Deal, since the only game I play which is not through my Steam account right now is Minecraft.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    CB said:
    I'm not sure if this still applies. It was certainly true once. I mean: I have clear memories of the hassle of getting PC games to work across multiple configurations.
    I didn't mean the hassle of getting a PC game to work with a particular machine. My point is that there are different configurations out there that will return an infinite variety of FPS, Resolutions, load speeds, etc. While with the console its predictable, you know what you are going to get. If you want your PC to perform at certain way, how much time, effort, money do you really want to spend focusing on that, rather than playing a game.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    I get what you're saying, but I don't think most people actually spend time fiddling with a system to get more FPS. Yes, the experience is different from system to system, Portal might look shinier on my neighbors system than mine, but for some people that's the end of it, no time, effort, or money involved, they just play the game, whatever it looks like on their system.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited Apr 2011
    Consoles provide the same uniform advantage an Apple device has over its Windows/Android competitor. It's much more approachable for the lowest common denominator to buy and immediately start playing games. Games that "just work," no thought, tweaking, or troubleshooting required.

I'm a PC gamer, but I can't ignore the fact that the console I own has a life expectancy of 10 years. That alone provides more value than a dollar figure for a gaming-to-gaming comparison could.