Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Performance issues

2»

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Great. My brother told me to go i7...I hate it when he's right...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    From my googling, it appears that mobo vendors are releasing BIOS updates which address it, so I would be looking for that.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    From my googling, it appears that mobo vendors are releasing BIOS updates which address it, so I would be looking for that.

I'm having problems with multiple games now. Upgrading to AM3+ AMD FX 6100 has probably been the poorest decision I've ever made for my personal computer. Littered with errors and starnge quirks, MP3's take forever to rip, My games won't run properly. It's just an extreme clusterfuck of a product release. Never been so disapointed in an AMD product launch.

I'm sitting back waiting for a BIOS update.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    That's really discouraging to hear, Cliff :(
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Um... a few of the below were tried, but a few seem useful to try:

http://segmentnext.com/2011/08/24/deus-ex-human-revolution-crashes-freezes-slow-loading-lag-and-fixes/

Some notes covered more explicitly in link above:

Admin privileges required;

500 MB dedicated system RAM required as MINIMUM to run (only min or close to that could cause video frame lags and/or stutters as active RAM is swapped rapidly to and from Virtual Memory FILE blocks on HD in relatively huge amounts)- try giving the game a dedicated GB of system RAM minimum, preferably DDR3-- if that means 8 GB of DDR3 in your system, WIN 7 64 Bit can map and use that much.

The above is part from the link info, part from the Windows 7 Ultimate docs I have, and part old experience that feeding a stuttering game more dedicated RAM often helps with quality, lag and stutter problems at higher video quality levels(experience circa 1995 and onwards on other folks computers).

Try DirectX10 install unless video driver is for DX11 and/or CAP is for DX11. This might work because the game is supposed to work on XP (I think SP3) and up(so DX9 and DX10 should work)-- also DX10 uses less RAM and system work space than DX11 when work areas are included in resource use.

There also appears to sometimes be an issue with the way Steam DRM interracts with the game, and if the Steam DRM check (done every time the game starts) fails the game does weird things apparently-- most of them do not appear to apply to Cliff_Forster, but might apply to later readers.

This is based on Googling and some system knowledge and experience and some speed-reading 3X of this thread and cross-linking to try and give some things that were not covered understandably to me. Where I did not understand I tried to re-explain what I did understand in my "typically Johnishness manner" with some translation to "community-normalized english." :D in my :grumble: ish appearing way.

Excuse me, it is after 1 AM here, and my caffeine high is wearing off.
  • edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:

Awesome. I have 25 days left to return the board/CPU. I'll give them 20...
  • Wow, 3 months later and the problem persists... I'm running an AMD FX 6100 CPU and having the same problems, so far I've discovered that the performance issue is coming from the entire workload being forced onto ONE core instead of multiple ones. Has anyone heard anything about this problem being resolved?
  • @Xadins - Last I checked a few weeks ago I was still unable to play. Good thing I'm giving up gaming for Lent. This issue aside, the AMD FX-6100 upgrade that I poured money into has to be the most disappointing hardware purchase I have ever made. I'm still an AMD fanboy, their Radeon cards are still fantastic, and all their other hardware platforms offer amazing value for the space they play in, but if I'm being honest, I'd recommend anyone else wait until they iron out the kinks on the new FX line. So many wonky little bugs and unexplained performance dips from their own line of last gen hardware. My old Phenom II X6 ran better.