Mad Catz S.T.R.I.K.E.7 gaming keyboard is totally over the top

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Just so folks have a more thorough understanding of the actuation profile, here's a quick list of common mechanicals and their actuation weights.

IBM Model M (buckling spring): ~80-90g
    Cherry MX Black: 60g (60cN)
    Cherry MX Brown: 55g (55cN)
    Cherry MX Blue: 60g (60cN) - tactile "click"
    Cherry MX Red: 45g (45cN)

So tuning for 60g means that in theory, actuation force should be roughly identical to Cherry MX Black, substantially heavier than Cherry MX Red (Corsair K60/K90) but right around the same force as a Thermaltake Meka G1.
    Bandrik
  • Or spend half as much....

• Yeah Cliff, but does it run it's own OS?!?!?! I THINK NOT!

Seriously though, $300 for a keyboard? I didn't spend that much on my last GPU. Razer Blackwidow Ultimate is about the most expensive keyboard I'd ever consider buying.
  • Straight_ManJohn Danielson II Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Rubber dome switching? Um, waterproof maybe? But who wants an underwater keyboard.... Sorry, Mad Catz, no sale here.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    For that price, it better come with a male pleasuring device attachment.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Don't be stingy. Ladies can have some pleasure device attachments, and they're probably cheaper/easier to make.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    So you'd pick your mech keyboard over this, brian?

What kind of switches does it have? How would you compare them to this?
  • $300 isn't that much for a very good mechanical keyboard. If that keyboard lasts. I have more than once spent more than $300 on a keyboard - 5 or 6 times, I think. But yeah, that was also Kinesis and Maltrons - not some off the shelf gaming keyboard.

But I also know for absolute fact this keyboard would be completely shot after <2 months in my hands.
    I log over 10 MILLION keystrokes a month. Rubber domes are typically rated for ~10M cycles. Cherry MX, ~50M actuation cycles (whether electrical or mechanical remains unknown but I've worn 'em out. Usually I completely ruin the keycaps within 6-7 months at most though. Thermaltake's not-actually-pad-printed Meka G1 keycaps didn't last 3 months.) IBM buckling spring, about 2 <i>Billion cycles - which is why they're about the only keyboard I use.

By the way, you can get the exact same 50g "tuned" rubber dome actuation from a Keytronic KT800P2 - which costs all of $20.
    midga
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    This keyboard is pretty ridic.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    @RootWyrm Yeah, but have you looked at just how INCREDIBLY SEXY the S.T.R.I.K.E.R is?

It's certainly a looker but I'll stick to my mechanical Logitechs, they're functional and stylish.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    RootWyrm said:

$300 isn't that much for a very good mechanical keyboard. If that keyboard lasts. I have more than once spent more than $300 on a keyboard - 5 or 6 times, I think. But yeah, that was also Kinesis and Maltrons - not some off the shelf gaming keyboard.

... IBM buckling spring, about 2 Billion cycles - which is why they're about the only keyboard I use.

Bandrik
  • Yeah, I should know better than to post anything constructive or informative.

COOL STORY, BROS. COOL STORY.
    /thread
    Straight_Man
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You get trolled so hard. Just ignore and move on.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    shwaip said:

So you'd pick your mech keyboard over this, brian?

What kind of switches does it have? How would you compare them to this?

I have the Thermaltake Meka G1 with Cherry MX Black switches. To me, they feel a lot better than the STRIKE 7.
  • I have an Xarmor U9 mechanical keyboard, and the Cherry Brown switches are definitely too light for me at only 55 grams spring force.

And after having used it for a year or so, the right SHIFT key misses its inputs half the time, which is annoying.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    I have a Happy Hacking Professional 2 (black) keyboard. It costs more for fewer keys, no back light, and black-on-not-quite-black keycaps.

COME AT ME BRO.
    (That was a joke, BTW. This HHKB Pro 2 was a gift from work I'd've never bought myself. It's very nice, sent directly from Japan, but rather gratuitously priced. I do expect it will last the next 10-20 years, though, like my cheaper HHKB Lites.)
    That is a LOT of money for a keyboard. Wow!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I think the reason of not having mech switches because gamers want a backlight is dumb. Pretty sure gamers usually look at the screen, not the keyboard.
    Cliff_ForsterTushon
    Yeah, I really like it, and it's got Topre switches. Those are rubber dome with a metal spring underneath. Not entirely mechanical, but feel better than plain old membrane

But, I have to say I'm unsure whether my liking it is a kind of denial or Stockholm Syndrome related to the price.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Neat keyboard. I noticed a couple things, though. First, they only actually gave one reason for going membrane. Second, it looks like it has one of those silly thumb-wheels just like the one I've never been able to make work for anything on my RAT7. Love the mouse (though I want to get an MMO), but that bit just seems to be in the way. Anyone have any experience with it?
    The thumbwheel can have any macro assigned to it, even keypresses.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I've got a 7, you can totally set up anything to the thumb wheel, in RTS's for example I have it set up to scroll through available squads and in games that have two abilities (weapons and spells, dishonoured for example) I have it set up to scroll through abilities quickly.
    edited October 2012
    Yesterday Mad Catz announced the STRIKE 5, which is nearly the same as the 7, minus the VENOM display. Rather, it has a different module where the VENOM goes. It's $199.99, a full $100 less than the STRIKE 7.

• I bought the Rat9 mouse a couple of months back and love it. The most comfortable mouse I have ever had.
    So.. I bought the Strike 9 to. Mainly because I like uniformity. The whole debate about the type of keys it has is beyond me as I'm not a key basher and only play one game seriously which doesn't require that type of abusive key use.
    Been using the Strike for a few days now and I can't fault it in anyway. It does everything I want it to do. TS plugin etc etc. Pricey yes but feels and looks great and if you have the dosh why the hell not.
  • Any Linux users care to share experiences on STRIKE 7? I cant see how the nifty LED screen would work on it... now, I might consider the STRIKE 5, seems more do-able as far as getting full functionality goes...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    CrazyJoe said:

Just out of curiousity I calculated it and 10 million keystrokes a month is 230+ keystokes a minute, if you typed 24/7 for 30 days. Just saying.

Believe it or not, we've been over the same math with mice before, too.

• I've had my S.T.R.I.K.E 7 for 8 months now. Best keyboard I've ever owned. I don't know what some of these guys saying "Id wear this thing out in a month" crap are talking about. I do a lot of gaming/typing and my keys haven't even started to fade yet. lol