Tastes of Detroit Food Tour

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Community
I just have to say that this is an awesome idea! I had fun going to OPH last year, but the rest of the time was a struggle to figure out where to eat. I plan on going to all the Tastes events that I can.

I am a food fiend! :rarr:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    Must have for the LAN:

Vernors

White Castle
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    white castle!!! Ive had it once in lansing since last year and im looking forward to it. Thats more than likely good though, give my arteries a chance to unclog.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Mmmmm... White Castle!!!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    ya and dont go to the all you can eat asian buffet next to Prime's house. its nice if you want to eat all you can of fried rice and beef on a stick, and i felt sick all day after too.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    On the itinerary:

Pi's Thai Cuisine:

Good friends of mine. They make, without question, the most interesting variation of Tom Yum Gai I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It is an explosion of flavor in your mouth, and it represents the very delicate blending of all five tastes that the master Thai chef strives for. You can tell this is a finely honed family recipe that has been generations in the making.

Thang Long:

Finally! I've found a Vietnamese restaurant that I can take n00bs to. Vietnamese cuisine is very complex, yet there are a lot of "surprises" that can take an unsuspecting diner to a place they've never wanted to go - namely that of organ meats and other bits that most westerners would be happy never trying. At any rate, Thang Long's chef is very comfortable serving traditional Vietnamese fare for those who want it, but is also familiar with the proclivities of the gentler American palate. I will be recommending a variety of Bun dishes as well as the Hue (pronounced WAY) Soup, in addition to any of the dishes served in their Hanoi Thick Sauce - a choice of either pork, chicken, or catfish (or a mix!). Wonderful!

Raj Mahal:

How do I begin describing the awe I feel when I am in the presence of Raj, in his Mahal. This is a family owned, husband and wife place. Raj cooks, his wife serves, and the food is spectacular. Raj has kind of a haughty arrogance that can only come with the confidence that you can indeed put your money (or in this case, your curry) where your mouth is. Brash, short-tempered, and curt, Raj will serve you with a no-nonsense flourish that will put a smile on your face. He's quite a character. Once you taste your first bite, you forget all of it, and get lost in the mystique of truly handcrafted Indian food.

Josephine's:

Inspired by French cuisine, they feature crepes as a primary menu item - but not your ordinary "dessert" crepes, no! These are crepes filled with a delectable and bountiful array of meats, sauces, and vegetables. For example, the chicken crepe is smothered with a mustard bourdelaise and the Seafood crepe is stuffed with some of the largest scallops I've seen in a non-coastal restaurant. Expensive, decadent, and not to be missed.

Please sign up for any of the four restaurants you are interested in attending with me. I will provide menu guidance if you want, or you can free-form it. The PANCAKE HOUSE is NOT a part of this food tour - that is a LAN-wide event.

Bon Appetit!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I believe I am up for a visit to Thang Long (for the catfish, most likely, as I don't eat any land-based meats) and Raj Mahal. I'll most likely be arriving after the trip to Pi's (though from the description I found on a website, they only have 3 tables anyway) and I might be leaving before the trip to Mystery Restaraunt. If I don't leave beforehand, though (depends on the temperament of my passenger(s)) then I'll make the trip to Mystery as well.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I'd like to attend all that I'm there for. It looks like the last three. Woo!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Dude if you take me to Thai food I will have to murder you.... I have tried to like that stuff, but it always ends up not liking me.

Give me Pizza or Chinese, how about some good Italian? I mean There has to be something better than Thai...
    edited May 2006
    I ate at this little Thai dive in downtown Cincy with some friends from the MBA program a few years ago - it was the best Pad Thai I've ever eaten. Burned my anus for two days!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I have to sign up to go eat? Let's just go when we get there.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited May 2006
    I have to call ahead and make arrangements for these particular places since the number of people will be more than the average dinner party ( "Hi, table for 23 please!" ). :)

Especially Pi's... It is a carryout place, mostly. There is definitely not seating for more than say, 7 adults. It's very small. We will not be eating there. I need to call the chef two days in advance to tell him how many soups I'll be ordering so he can have the extra ingredients on hand (he asked me to, anyway).
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    In that case... COUNT ME IN.... Oh yeah...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I know it seems rude to ask. I'd like to go to all of these, but I'm on a very strict budget. Could we get some price ranges for these culinary adventures?

Also, do you know when they are going to be visited. Sorry, if It's on the Google calender, I can't access Google calendar from work.
    edited May 2006
    CBDroege wrote:
    I know it seems rude to ask. I'd like to go to all of these, but I'm on a very strict budget. Could we get some price ranges for these culinary adventures?

Also, do you know when they are going to be visited. Sorry, if It's on the Google calender, I can't access Google calendar from work.

Yup, they're on the calendar. Pi is listed at 8PM on Thursday, we'll most likely arrive too late to make that one. Raj Mahal is Friday at 6:30 PM, Thang Long is Saturday at 8:30 PM, and Mystery is Sunday at 1PM.

Thang Long and Pi were both listed in the "Inexpensive, under $15" category on the website that I visited (Detroit Daily News site or something). Raj Mahal was not listed, but I'm assuming it's in the same price range (most Indian restaraunts are in that price range). I'm assuming Mystery place is above that price range since Brian called it "expensive".
    edited May 2006
    Yep, they're on the calendar.

Pi's is $3 or $4 for the soup (the item I recommend) and you can figure an entree is about $7-$11 depending on what kind of meat

Raj Mahal is about the same - expect to spend ~$13 for yourself (tip included) if you don't get a Mango shake (beverages always cost alot, don't they?)

Thang Long is pretty inexpensive unless you get a whole red snapper or something - They menu ranges from $6.95 -> $16.95

Mystery restaurant is high-mid range. The seafood crepe is $18, an appetizer can be $5 all the way up to $15. The chicken crepes are $13. The top end of the menu is around $33 if you get, say, filet and a lobster. It's not exhorbitant, but it's slightly more than an average dinner restaurant.
    edited May 2006
    Damn, I'm salivating for some good naan, mutter paneer, and gulab jamun right now. I think I'mma hafta go visit an Indian restaraunt before the LAN, because I can't wait!
    edited May 2006
    If I had to pick between the second one and the third one, which one should I sign up for?
    edited May 2006
    So I guess Chinese is out of the question :( Maybe I can recruit a few guys to get some takeout, hey Prime are these places any good?

China Palace Restaurant
    Chinese Village Inn
    Ruby Chinese Restaurant
    China Villa
    Chinese Gourmet
    Wing Wah Chinese Restaurant
    China Rose
    Sunrise Chinese Food Carry-Out
    Moon Yee House Chinese Rstrnt

Its all about Orange Chicken, or Beef and broc, some Mandarin Chicken.... Honey Chicken?

Man you guys seem to be lim ited around the Warren area with just your normal Pizza places... Can't seem to find much Italian

Italia Andiamo
    Olive Garden Italian Restaurant - always good
    Firenze Restaurant
    Antonio's Italian Cuisine
    Juliano's Restaurant
    edited May 2006
    wow. that's a toughie. They're both really good.

I think Raj Mahal is probably the safer bet, unless you are already familiar with Vietnamese cuisine.

Or it could be the opposite - if you are familiar with Indian cuisine and want to try something new and are NOT familiar with vietnamese, I would recommend Thang Long!

Oh the agony! I can't choose!
    edited May 2006
    Okay sledge, I've only heard of ONE of those places, and it sucks.

Best chinese near my house is Kim Toa, which is about 2 miles from my house, straight up the road. Very easy to find. They take cash only, so come prepared!
    edited May 2006
    Would a psychosomatic aversion to anything that once lived in water help me decide?
    edited May 2006
    Brian - here's a Thang Long question for you. When I was a kid, we ate at this Vietnamese place all the time because they were cheap and actually had some vegetarian dishes. I got this noodle dish. It was basically these Vietnamese noodles with a sort-of-spicy red sauce. I loved that stuff. Do you know what it is and if Thang Long has it?

CB: I can't think of a single piece of aquatic life in any Indian dish I've ever had.
    edited May 2006
    Okay sledge, I've only heard of ONE of those places, and it sucks.

Best chinese near my house is Kim Toa, which is about 2 miles from my house, straight up the road. Very easy to find. They take cash only, so come prepared!

Are they pretty exspensive? I mean we have places here that range from $5.75 per large togo entree upto $15.95 per large entree.... which includeds rice... I love my chinese :) or is it like a Panda Express?
    edited May 2006
    GH: Southern Indian food has many seafood dishes :)

CB: Okay, then you need to go to Raj Mahal, because a lot of the Vietnamese food is cooked with fish oil.

GH: Noodles with red sauce? That describes a lot of things. The Vietnamese use this red sauce called Sriracha which is like the Ketchup of southeast asia. They put it on EVERYTHING. There's a fat bottle of it at every table. Was it hot? Describe the sauce. Were the noodles thin, vermicelli? or were they wide like Pad Thai noodles?
    edited May 2006
    Are they pretty exspensive? I mean we have places here that range from $5.75 per large togo entree upto $15.95 per large entree.... which includeds rice... I love my chinese :) or is it like a Panda Express?

They are moderate. Think $7.95 - $12.95 range. It's a sit-down restaurant, but they do carry-out as well.
    edited May 2006
    GH: Southern Indian food has many seafood dishes :)

CB: Okay, then you need to go to Raj Mahal, because a lot of the Vietnamese food is cooked with fish oil.

GH: Noodles with red sauce? That describes a lot of things. The Vietnamese use this red sauce called Sriracha which is like the Ketchup of southeast asia. They put it on EVERYTHING. There's a fat bottle of it at every table. Was it hot? Describe the sauce. Were the noodles thin, vermicelli? or were they wide like Pad Thai noodles?

Cool. I'd like to try some Southern Indian cuisine sometime. I guess I've only had northern. Lots of dals, curries, cheeses, peas, potatoes - I guess it's because when I was a kid and my parents were way too hardcore vegetarian for me, they'd stay away from even seafood.

As far as I can remember, the noodles were a form of vermicelli. But I think they may have been a rice vermicelli? I'm not exactly sure, since it was years ago. Anyway, the red sauce I remember was probably sriracha. Although I bought a bottle of sriracha not too long ago, and it was spicier than I remember the dish tasting as a kid, even after I added sriracha from the bottles on the table at the Vietnamese restaraunt. Although, I bought it in the Thai section at the store, so my memory could just be totally out of whack.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2006
    You might add any dress code info for the restaurants, if applicable. T-Shirts, short pants, and sandals OK?

Signed,

Prof the Bum :mullet:
    edited May 2006
    I'd say it's okay at all the places, even mystery restaurant. Although the ambience at Mystery Restaurant is somewhat more upscale, so you may feel like a bum if you show up in shorts, sandals, and t-shirt. They won't kick you out though :)
    edited May 2006

Very well. Sign me up for Raj Mahal and Mystery Restaurant, please.
    edited May 2006
    Well, since CB is my passenger, I'll be attending Mystery Restaraunt as well!