2009 Expo Icrontic - What is it?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Community
EPIC2009.png
I realize there's really nothing describing what the Expo Icrontic actually is, for those who aren't familiar.

If you've read our unique history, you know that by the end of 2003, we had gone through quite a bit as a community, and after a few tentative discussions, it was decided that we should try having a LAN party here in Michigan. For those who don't know what a LAN is, it's a party where everybody brings a computer, hooks them all together, and spends a weekend (usually) playing games with each other.

After a false start, the first Short-Media LAN went off successfully in May of 2004, in the basement of a coffee shop in Warren, MI. Initially we thought it would be a local-ish gathering, but people ended up flying in and driving in from all over. The stage was set, and we knew 2005 would be bigger and better.

In 2005 I bought a bigger house, and the suggestion was made to have the LAN at my house. We decided to rent a circus tent and sure enough, it all fell into place, and all kinds of Short-Medians showed up, some all the way from Europe.

2006, 2007, and 2008 were each bigger and better than ever. As the attendee list grew, more events were added; a food tour, a boardgaming area, a duct tape building competition, a golf outing, a special trip to a hat store, and other crazy and wild things. By the time LAN 2008 was over, we knew we had something that was way, way more than "just" a LAN party.

We changed the name and the concept to indicate that this huge summer gathering was about way more than computer gaming; it was about being an Icrontian, and Livin' the Icrontic Life. We renamed the gathering to reflect this, and "EXPO ICRONTIC" was born (EPIC for short).

EPIC 2009 will be from June 24th - 28th, 2009

Events Include:
  • LAN Gaming (Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, and more)
  • Tastes of Detroit food tour
  • Duct Tape Challenge
  • IC Golf Outing
  • Boardgaming Area
  • Rock Band
  • Moar

So to summarize, EPIC is the biggest Icrontic event of the year; the most fun, the most hectic, the most social, the most.... Epic! :)

Register now, join us, and have a GREAT time. :grr:

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Update the red carpet ;)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    awesome logo is awesome.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    If any of you are going to Henry The Hatter again this year, PLEASE let me know before you go... I'm in dire need of a new fedora.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Oh, we're going.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    We sure are going! :)

For those new to the concept, this is not just a LAN, it's not just an event. It's way to really get to know some new interesting, diverse people. It's also a HELL of a lot of fun.

You don't want to miss it!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Shorty wrote:
    We sure are going! :)

For those new to the concept, this is not just a LAN, it's not just an event. It's way to really get to know some new interesting, diverse people. It's also a HELL of a lot of fun.

You don't want to miss it!

So does that mean you are going? It's going to be hard for me to swing this since I am getting married three weeks after this, but I will try.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    If any of you are going to Henry The Hatter again this year, PLEASE let me know before you go... I'm in dire need of a new fedora.

It's going to be an official, calendared event this year.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Are there hats for ladies there?
    edited March 2009
    No, but unless you're bringing somebody, I don't see an issue...
    edited March 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    No, but unless you're bringing somebody, I don't see an issue...

I mean, I was going to bring my hot friend Caitlin, but I was just telling her about how mean you are to me all the time Snark, and now she doesn't want to come. Too bad.
    edited March 2009
    My plan has worked to perfection...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I mean, I was going to bring my hot friend Caitlin, but I was just telling her about how mean you are to me all the time Snark, and now she doesn't want to come. Too bad.

ded Snark is ded!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Only event that has ever been worth driving 1100 miles!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    So I am officially asking off the 24th through the 27th. I am not asking off for work on that Sunday the 28th. If I'm scheduled to work on the 28th (as per usual) I won't have to be at work until 5pm.

As tested before, I can leave ICHQ by no later than 1pm and still make it to work on time. I'd rather not ask off for that Sunday unless I need to... you guys know the rep of asking off at my place of employment.

So as usual, Sunday doesn't have any major events slated, right? It's the 'everyone slowly filters out and heads home' day like usual?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    So as usual, Sunday doesn't have any major events slated, right? It's the 'everyone slowly filters out and heads home' day like usual?
    yep, Sunday is looking to be similar to previous LAN's.... packing up and saying goodbye.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    yep, Sunday is looking to be similar to previous LAN's.... packing up and saying goodbye.

or waking Q up so we can move his car...;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    NOT funny.... not after going to sleep at 4:30 and being woke up at 7. :zombie:
    edited March 2009
    Oh, see I thought this year on Sunday was when the strippers were coming in?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I thought that was on Saturday?
    edited March 2009
    100% strippers, all day, every day.
    edited March 2009
    I mean...I ordered the Gigasluts for Sunday.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I thought they were booked months in advance? Dammit!

I think 'Fodder and I are leaving iowa sometime wednesday early evening. Will it be a problem if we arrive LATE AS SHIT that night?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    If you arrive between 11pm and 3am, that's what we call "normal". If it's 3-6am, that's "a bit late", and 6am-9am is "stupid early". During the Expo, "really late" doesn't exist. ;)
    edited March 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    If you arrive between 11pm and 3am, that's what we call "normal". If it's 3-6am, that's "a bit late", and 6am-9am is "stupid early". During the Expo, "really late" doesn't exist. ;)

"really late" would be sunday.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    "Really late Wednesday night" = Sunday for pigflipper. Noted.

/me points at prime's TF2 spray and wanders away quietly
  • mikeumusmikeumus NJ, USA
    edited March 2009
    I might just have to go to cover what sounds like an awesome event.

Adding it to the calender now...

~Mikeumus
    edited March 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    "Really late Wednesday night" = Sunday for pigflipper. Noted.

* Lincoln points at prime's TF2 spray and wanders away quietly

I plead the fizzith.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Officially booked. We might bring another player - Doc - as well.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I'm booked and flying in on the 23rd :)
    Oh SM31 is coming to visit and could use a monitor
    while he's there. :D
    SM31 grew up a little with me :D
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    looking foreward to coming guys and gal, if i can get away from school long enough. just started nursing school today so. other then that, sounds like a blast!