Nvidia GTX 480 & GTX 470 Announced

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Hardware
The long awaited and very late GTX 480 & GTX 470 have arrived by spec. The cards should ship to retail stores within the next 2 weeks.

EVGA is offering both cards in air cooled and water cooled flavors with air cooled products available now.

Air Cooled:

header.jpg

Water Cooled:

header.jpg

Other vendors like ASUS, BFG & XFX are expected to post their products soon.

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Oh, the FTW edition,

Only a Nvidia fanboy would appreciate that cheap marketing.

I mean, its HYDRO COPPER!!! (aren't all water-blocks copper?)

I guess if your EVGA and you have not had a decent product to sell in nearly a year, you gotta do what you gotta do....
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Cliff, your fanboy is palpable. You know if ATI marketed a Radeon with FTW edition you'd be all over it.

Are you going to be upgrading, Sledge?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    If EVGA had decent warranty support I might think about buying from them.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    @Cliff Actually Cliff_TheTroll_Foster - EVGA usually creates 4 different versions of its cards. The Vanilla version, the Super Clocked, Super Super Clocked & For The Win editions. Each card comes clocked a bit more out of the box and retains a Lifetime warranty upon registration of the product. FTW is EVGA's highest version of a specific card for Overclocking these cards are usually products of the so called "Gem" chips off a wafer.

@UPSLynx - The goal of my water cooling system was to be ready for Fermi. Which card I get is unknown at this point. I might wait to see if Nvidia has a full 512 shader card coming sooner than later or if I can sell a few items I own now I might just spend the money now and be an early adopter like always.

@ _k_ HaHa I am guessing that is a joke? EVGA is known for some of the best support in the industry along with have awesome lifetime warranties.
    edited March 2010
    What awesome warranties they say they won't honor unless you can prove that you bought their product when you say you did and for some reason kept the purchase ticket. They are apparently none transferable period, though the only place they say that about their 1 year warranty is on the European site. I had a 9800GX2 stop working and it took me 45 minutes and talking to Chris, Support Manager, to get them to cover their warranty on the card. They wanted to ditch on it because I wasn't the original owner, since warranties are void when the item is second hand.

Its not like this is a big secret if you simply google it then there are plenty of examples. There are people on the forums that know never to buy their products second hand from EVGA. I am never buying anything from them again. The only reason I got a RMA in 45 minutes was because of the fraud word and secret TOS, plus always talking over people helped. The only reason I didn't get to talk to Joe was because he was "busy". This just really gets to me after selling EVGA products and dropping a fair bit of money into their products this is how they handle warranties, not with serial numbers but with receipts.
    edited March 2010
    The warranties are valid for the original owner that registered their product within 30 days of purchase. EVGA doesn't hide that info and it is posted clearly online.

Also clearly listed on the warranty is you need to register and upload your invoice for your full lifetime warranty. If the company hide that fact than I can see your point, but they don't hide anything. Now if you bought the card 2nd hand and that user didn't tell you the warranty info... than shame on them.
    edited March 2010
    But they don't say you have to be the original owner or register in the first 30 days to get the 1 year.

All EVGA products come automatically with a one year, parts and labor, limited warranty. Upon registration within 30 days of your original purchase, you will be upgraded to one of the extended warranties we offer. For details on each program, click the appropriate warranty below:
    edited March 2010
    You have to be the original owner period... Not sure what so hard to understand about that.
    Products purchased second hand or from an auction site do not carry any warranty.

All product will retain a 1 year warranty if not registered within 30 days from the time of its purchase unless it is a RX or B-stock item. If you call up and register your product on day 361 than it will still be under warranty if your the original owner and can provide the necessary items for warranty claims.
    All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive our limited lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)

If the card was at day 545 and was just registered and the customer has the necessary info to still register the card properly, EVGA will usually do a 1 time replacement for those customers. Unlike some companies who will say "2 days past warranty... sorry!"
    edited March 2010
    The fact that they don't state that for one year warranty only under 2, 3, and lifetime. There is no where on their website that has 1 year warranty details and they say all the details for their other warranties apply without having it in writing.
    edited March 2010
    For the record, I've never had any issues with EVGA support or warranties and have been a happy customer of theirs for many years now.

In fact, their step up program was frigging awesome. Not sure if they still do that though.
    edited March 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    The fact that they don't state that for one year warranty only under 2, 3, and lifetime. There is no where on their website that has 1 year warranty details and they say all the details for their other warranties apply without having it in writing.

The idea is you look at the last 2 letters of the Part number which states what warranty that product can have if registered within 30days of purchase (that info is listed on the products box and manual). The info based on the last 2 letters/numbers is the first thing listed on the warranty page. One would think that you would read the proper warranty up front to than find out that it was after 30 days and dropped to one year and than 2nd hand purchases void the warranty.

The 2nd hand purchase is listed under all the warranties on the site.

In general the part you got was not a 1 year warranty product so you would not need to look for just the one year. You would have looked at the proper number (most likely a Lifetime warranty) and realized that your card was most likely not registered and than only contained a 1 year warranty at that point (which is all listed under the warranty the card shipped with). So case in point the proper info is listed under the warranty the card would have had.

Sounds like you got screwed by the person you bought the product from, and in the end regardless of EVGA's policy they helped you out and got you a new card. Yeah it took 45 minutes and escalation as you were trying to get a replacement on a void warranty in the first place. I see that as them helping you, not you getting screwed.
    edited March 2010
    Limited 1 Year: EVGA 1 Year limited warranty only eligible for part numbers ending in:
    -BR, -B1, -BX, -DR

It had a BX part number on it because it came through a certified builder and chris told me that when they sell like that they consider their parts OEM because if there is a failure of the product they expect the builder to cover the part and file for the RMA not the owner. So it did have a 1 year warranty from EVGA.
    edited March 2010
    @Cliff Actually Cliff_TheTroll_Foster

He's on to me.... Drats!!!

Still, its kind of a tool bag way to market a card. Why not just put a big barbed wire style tattoo around the block while they are at it. Our cards are totally FTW, they pwn noobs, guaranteed!!! They need to get the sham wow guy to do their commercial...

Radeon cards just sell themselves due to their sheer awesomeness. :p
    edited March 2010
    The fanboy! it hurts so much!
  • edited March 2010
    Radeon cards just sell themselves due to their sheer awesomeness. :p

I believe Nvidia is doing the right things. They took a big risk by designing such a challenging architecture. Today, it looks (or some critics show that way) as if they have overdone and did not get any advantage. But tomorrow, when the software starts using this potential, and fabs increase their yield, the advantage of this technology will move Nvidia far ahead of competition. ATI will be scrambling to implement this if they are not working on it yet. Even Intel tried and postponed their Larrabee project in the face of its challenge. There is only Nvidia now with a working GPGPU design in the market. I am very excited to see the applications, not as an Nvidia fanboy but as a technology enthusiast. I am betting on Nvidia and I will be around to be accountable.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    (But you are totally an NVIDIA fanboy.)
  • edited March 2010
    No, I am not. :)
    edited March 2010
    Between vehemently rooting (on several occasions) for NVIDIA to break into the CPU business and never having a single negative thing to say about a company that has had more than its fair share of recent cockups, I'd beg to differ. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Okay I am searching now. I will get back. :D

I am back:
    Here, negative Nvidia comments
    http://tech.icrontic.com/news/nvidia-gpu-driver-v191-07-released/
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85124

Here, positive ATI comments
    http://tech.icrontic.com/news/ati-radeon-hd-5750-launches/
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85805

No hiding, I am very much enthusiastic about the GPGPU technology and only Nvidia has it now. Fanboy? Yes, but the fanboy of this technology. I want a uniform computing platform without a distinction between CPU and GPU. Nvidia is the only hope currently and I am rooting for their success.
    edited March 2010
    Holy eff.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfQOU3T0O3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfQOU3T0O3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100328/geforce-gtx-480-tortured-by-furmark-300w-and-earplugs-required/
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2010
    Sound like the fan bearing is shot to hell and from the crap on the gpu case they have had it for a while. but damn that loud whatever.:hair:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    So, let me get this straight: It's slightly faster than a 5970 in most normal things, it's loud, it runs hot as hell, and it uses a shit ton of electricity?

Do I have that correct?
    edited March 2010
    5870*. Otherwise, yes.
  • edited March 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Holy eff.

Here you go. If you put the microphone near the fan you get the same effect on many cards.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PK-DQMfk19c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PK-DQMfk19c&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    edited March 2010
    So, let me get this straight: It's slightly faster than a 5970 in most normal things, it's loud, it runs hot as hell, and it uses a shit ton of electricity?

Do I have that correct?

Don't forget overpriced, and currently unavailable (the egg says they are all out, surprise, surprise)

Months behind schedule, and they cant meet fan-boy demand.

The last significant thing Nvidia did for the hard core gaming market was the 8800. Ion and tegra are their focus platforms now, and thats okay, they are a different company, the market has changed, its shifting towards more portable computing. Nvidia has lost touch with the hard core PC gamer.
    edited March 2010
    Hey now, I'm not trying to fanboy out, just trying to be real. That fan speed is noted at 45dB. That's some serious noise.

That being said, thats under furmark. You won't hear that kind of noise in any normal operation (probably)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Cliff, for fuck's sake. Can't you just tone it down for 3 weeks or something?

5870 prices range from around 420 to 500 on the Egg right now. The 480 is at $500, a little more for overclocked cards.

Seems like a little price bump for a little performance bump is entirely appropriate, don't you think? Jesus H. Christ.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited March 2010
    WOOH handbags ;D;D
    edited March 2010
    Cliff the GTX 480 & 470 ship after April 12th... they are listed for pre-sale and for reference. They are not released yet!
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Cliff, for fuck's sake. Can't you just tone it down for 3 weeks or something?

5870 prices range from around 420 to 500 on the Egg right now. The 480 is at $500, a little more for overclocked cards.

Seems like a little price bump for a little performance bump is entirely appropriate, don't you think? Jesus H. Christ.

:vimp:

First, you can actually buy that beautiful 5870 and enjoy DX11 gaming right now. They are available, and frankly, they might be priced better if Nvidia could get its head out of its ass and produce a decent card in quantity.

2nd, Its $100 less, and it draws about 30% less current (also saving you a little money over the life of the card), and will still function in six months. I guarantee high Fermi fail rates faster than you can say Red Rings of Death six times! (yes inside joke intended) The damn thing loads at 95C across a giant die, with a fan that sounds like a hair dryer! Thats not my inner fanboy talking, thats just me making sense. I know, its hard to believe, but occasionally, I'm right...

You wait and see Snark, Fermi is going to be one of the biggest clusterfuck's of 2010. We will be writing about what a huge disappointment it was in the year end review.