'Murican Football 2015

Comments

• If a game comes down to one of those calls "that could go either way" and you are on the loosing end of that, you didn't play well enough to win. Just the way it is.

Football is in many ways overly fair because of instant replay and now reviewing every single touchdown. I can understand it in some ways, 22 really big men, typical play happens inside of about five seconds, and since they only play 16 times it's weighted so heavy, so the expectation that football is supposed to always be fair is a necessary evil.

I played baseball growing up and if it taught me something valuable is that sometimes life just isn't fair. How you deal with that normally determines how productive your play is going to be after the ball doesn't bounce your way a few times. The NFL is obsessed with fairness, and too much fairness makes for weak men. That they added replay in baseball drives me mad. Getting your fingertip in on the bag a split second before getting tagged and getting called out is a huge part of the psychology of the sport. Fairness kind of ruins it. Plus watching managers get angry and get thrown out is entertaining.

Anyhow.. Enough of my opinion about fairness and multi angle replay... @Tushon What you got against Murican Football?

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

What I don't understand is, the game was still decided by more than two scores. Why we so salty about one touchdown anyway?

Cliff_Forsterpigflipper
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian

I love my Colts but man do they suck!

Chooch
  • In more interesting football news, muh MSU Spartans are 3-0 and ranked #2 in the nation. There's a strong case to be made that they should be ranked #1 since OSU has yet to play a highly ranked team and didn't look too hot against some of the cupcake teams they've played so far... but either way, this should be an interesting college football season. Can't wait for MSU @ OSU this year, it's going to be a brawl.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

until college football gets divisions and has a REAL playoff system of W/L without people "picking" who's best, I won't watch or care about it

DontCallMeKelso
    edited September 2015

Patriots score on all 9 possessions and end with 51 points. All is well

Indy barely escapes an 0-3 start... Baltimore does not. sorry @Cliff_Forster

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@fatcat said:
    until college football gets divisions and has a REAL playoff system of W/L without people "picking" who's best, I won't watch or care about it

I find college football to be far more enjoyable. Is the product on the field as good? Hell no. But is so much more entertaining. Weird shit happens all the time. Teams losing on missed extra points, hail Marys that bounce a few times before winning. Absurd catches. Ridiculous jukes and moves. Plus the games just seem to go by faster. NFL games have a tendency to drag on because of advertising. Plus I can watch football from noon till 1-2am it's glorious.

Being an Ohio State guy I see a generally good football team and see ridiculous things like a third string quarterback leading a team to the national Championship. A guy who flirts with Ronda Rousey over twitter and gets responses, goofs around doing spin moves on the sideline and generally just having fun. Which to me is what college football is about and in the end makes it more fun for me.

I also find going to the games in the NFL to be boring, too much work, and the people to be generally shitty to be around. My college games experiences were much more enjoyable.

But alas to each their own.

@Karma eliminate these games where a top seed teams plays some high school in the hicks, and have a panel create school's schedules. create divisions and eliminate the the fat of the conferences (120 division one teams, wtf) down to the top 40 teams where they play the schools in their division for top seed. and finally have a legit playoff with the top 12 teams going for the championship. then I would love to watch college football

@fatcat said:
    Karma eliminate these games where a top seed teams plays some high school in the hicks, and have a panel create school's schedules. create divisions and eliminate the the fat of the conferences (120 division one teams, wtf) down to the top 40 teams where they play the schools in their division for top seed. and finally have a legit playoff with the top 12 teams going for the championship. then I would love to watch college football

pay them then I'd start worrying about any of that shit. Especially extra games. We are now at the point where we know the toll each high level football game takes on a person makes no sense for a bunch of extra games when 80%+ of the players won't be making a living playing the game. Definitely don't need college football extending into February.

so you don't want a panel picking the most deserving but you want them picking the schedule? Meh. Divisions in the NCAA will always come down to the number of scholarships they can give out. Plus the best part is having smaller schools making magical runs ala Boise State who would have clearly not been in your pick 40 teams thing. Especially since it's impossible to tell the best 40 teams and it will change every year. Doing EPL relegation isn't going to work either since turnover is so high.

The big schools vs. small schools can also be fun, Toledo beating Arkansas, Jacksonville State almost beating Auburn. Applachian state actually beating michigan are all a blast.

I don't want to treat CFB like a professional league. Especially if the players aren't compensated like a professional league. We already have one of those and it's still not great. Me? Give me college football every time.

Again though you don't like college that's fine. I don't really care. I am just offering a counter opinion. I just want to watch football and have fun don't really get to caught to up on finding the best. Or the methods in which they find it. I am not sure i've ever stopped watching a Super Bowl completely overwhelmed by the greatness of the football I just watched. Though the David Tyree catch is probably the most collegey thing to happen in the NFL. A no name makes a ridiculous play then goes back to obscurity.

it's not worth arguing about though.

fatcatardichoke
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

My weekends are always Saturday: College Football. Sunday: NFL. I love football even with all the corruption that happens in both organization.

• Pro sports in Baltimore period right now.... The Orioles and Ravens seem to think I should be finding joy elsewhere?

College football is such a mixed bag of match-up weirdness from week to week. When a good competitive close game is on it can be phenomenal. I saw Iowa play Pitt last weekend and it ended on this kids career long field goal in front of his home fans, when that happens it's hard to beat. It's more emotional for some reason. That said, those moments are more the exception than the norm. If you look at the box scores most of the match ups are a joke.

• Man, all the injuries on this MSU team are starting to worry me. Also, the fact that they couldn't put up more than 30 points against CMU and that they flirted with disaster in the 3rd quarter. They look like a pretty weak #2 right now, but theres a lot of screwyness going on all over the place in NCAAF right now.

How much are you looking forward to Nov 21 right now @Karma? If things keep going the way they have been, a regular season #1 vs #2 game. That doesn't happen very often.

@ardichoke said:
    Man, all the injuries on this MSU team are starting to worry me. Also, the fact that they couldn't put up more than 30 points against CMU and that they flirted with disaster in the 3rd quarter. They look like a pretty weak #2 right now, but theres a lot of screwyness going on all over the place in NCAAF right now.

How much are you looking forward to Nov 21 right now Karma? If things keep going the way they have been, a regular season #1 vs #2 game. That doesn't happen very often.

I am pretty amped for that. Imma see if I can't score some tickets. Last time there was a 1 vs 2 in Ohio it was in 2006 and that was one hell of a game against TUN. Win or lose we can both agree on fuck TUN.

I am still not sure why the Lions hired Caldwell. He was pretty bad in Indy. And the Ravens offense wasn't extraordinarily good under him. Probably my least favorite coaching move from last year. Good news is Lions fans are already pretty used to losing :P. (I can say this as a Browns fan)

• @Karma said:
    I am pretty amped for that. Imma see if I can't score some tickets. Last time there was a 1 vs 2 in Ohio it was in 2006 and that was one hell of a game against TUN. Win or lose we can both agree on fuck TUN.

I'm ashamed to admit I had to look up what you meant by TUN. Then again, that acronym only makes sense when you're south of that other Michigan university. I agree though, fuck those guys. So much overinflated ego even though they haven't won squat in the last few years.

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

I think it's honestly underappreciated how good the Maclin signing was for us. We now have another downfield target to distract the other team while we throw for 2 yards a play.

fatcat
    edited September 2015

Oh I can't wait til the 18th pats vs Colts gunna be guuuuuuuuuuuud. I'll take the over on 40 points by the pats.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Karma said:
    Oh I can't wait til the 18th pats vs Colts gunna be guuuuuuuuuuuud. I'll take the over on 40 points by the pats.

yeah, 7 of them might be honest. I'll take the loss as long as it ends with Brady broken on the fifty yard line.

@Karma said:

I'm trying to decide which of our RB's will have 200 yards on you guys. Hell, might be both of them :pimp:

@fatcat I am not a Patriots fan by any means. BUT FUCK THE COLTS, and their whiny ass fans. I hate them more than any other team. And I once partied with Andrew Luck in college. I legit hope the score is 63 nothing at the end. I can just see Gronkowski High stepping over Mathis into the endzone like 5 times that game.

fatcat
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Pats are on a bye week so we can just close this thread until week 5.

fatcat

@Sonorous said:
    Pats are on a bye week so we can just close this thread until week 5.

NEVAR!

1/4 of the way through the season and here are my teams NOT making the playoffs this year

AFC
    -Miami
    -Cleveland
    -Tennessee
    -Jacksonville
    -Houston
    -Kansas City
    -Oakland
    NFC
    -Philadelphia
    -Chicago
    -Detroit
    -Tampa Bay
    -New Orleans
    -St. Louis
    -San Francisco

that leaves 18 teams fighting for the 12 playoff spots

Meh the NFL is just a big ball of mediocrity this year.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

lolions

pigflipper
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Glad to see Chicago in that.

Bold prediction: I can see St. Louis going 6-0 in their NFC West division and still not making the playoffs

Sonorous
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

Who saw that crap call in last night's game?

edited October 2015

@XGPHero said:
    Who saw that crap call in last night's game?

which part are you considering crap?

the strip was legit and mad props to Kam

the intentional bat out was a foul and Detroit should have had the ball on the 1 (or 1/2) yard line

Detroit being 0-4 or 1-3 doesn't really matter, they still won't make the playoffs lol