The Great Icrontic Bake-off!

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited May 2020 in Food & Drink

Hey y'all,

We're all baking anyways, I think it's time we have an official bake-off!
How you qualify--
Next weekend, May 30th and 31st, you will bake a thing! (or any time this week! I don't really care!)
Anything! Literally anything! Savory, sweet, I don't care, I'm not eating it! (Unless your name rhymes with Mosh and you live close enough that you could leave some at my house...just saying**).

Post photos here of what you baked and the recipe (as long as it's not a family secret) and you will be entered into a raffle to win a $10 Amazon gift-card.

• Bonus internet points for baking a new recipe, for telling us what you learned/what you'd do differently, for getting someone to judge your food or judging it yourself and for sharing here or in Discord progress photos of how your baking is going! __Note: bonus points have no impact on winning but will be noted in the official register.
  • Sidenote: I am definitely not stalking any of you nope no sirree so I definitely have no idea when you actually bake things. Cough. (Honestly...I don't actually care when you bake the thing! Just bake it!)

Bake bake baaake bakeeey bake bakerooos
Bagels for tax

** No Posh does not have any elevated chances at winning

primesuspectStraight_ManSazbeanMrTRiotMassalinieStrikes

Comments

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

Oh boy!

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

My body is ready for bready

Massalinie
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

Gosh, I don’t know what to bake; so many options!

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

I'm a much better brewer than baker but I'll have a go at it.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@MrTRiot Make something with spent grain?

MrTRiot
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2020

@GnomeQueen all my usual spots of getting grain are closed due to covid. You mentioning that has given me a few ideas though. Not sure if it'll be edible but it'll definitely be baked!

Strikes
  • whiskeyinyrshoeswhiskeyinyrshoes lost in my own allergies Member

@GnomeQueen you know how to lure me back here... with baked goods.

primesuspectGnomeQueen
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I'm in. This will be fun.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

iin

edited May 2020

I started early; because I never really stop baking, and I really needed to use up some zucchini.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/zucchini-bread/

It is a zucchini bread, I've never made one before and I would make one again. It tastes like a chocolate chip snickerdoodle.

WinfreyGnomeQueenmaliaStrikes

@Massalinie yummmmm how much zucchinni is in there?

About a cup

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@Massalinie, The zucchini bread looks wonderful, sounds great, I'd love to try it, but "It tastes like a chocolate chip snickerdoodle." I would believe "Better than carrot cake!", but idontknow. Chocolate chip snickerdoodle? What's the pairing?

Massalinie

Chocolate chips and a load of cinnamon!
    It is similar to carrot cake.

I have been having troubles with flat sourdough loaves but I have a wicked healthy and happy starter, so today I am trying a 6-8 hour prove instead of overnight so I can try and get it to poof more in the oven.
    It rested a long time after kneading and it feels so beautifully soft (albeit sticky AF) and supple. I'm happy. Here's to a late night bake!!

GnomeQueenStraight_ManMrTRiotStrikes
    edited May 2020

Cakes are in!!

MassalinieMrTRiotStrikes
    edited May 2020

Does anyone else make the kitchen this messy while baking, or is that just me? :D
    UPSLynx is triggered

MassalinieMrTRiot
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Thought this was my kitchen at first.

MassalinieMrTRiot

Welp. I'm pretty stumped. I feel like I'm checking all the boxes but it's about as flat as last week's. :-/
    The starter couldn't be more active. The dough is really hard to window pane test because it's so sticky, but if I speed handle it, I get a nice supple feeling and it tightens well for the boule (but careful not too tight). Nice and doubled rise, comes out of the banneton well, deep scoring, a cup of water for steam. It's bubbly looking inside, wonderful crust, delicious sour taste. Just flat. Like 2 inches tall. Prmph.

MrTRiot
    edited May 2020

I learned a few things from this!
    1.) Even thought your pans are all supposed to be six inches, that doesn't mean that they're actually identical in size! One of my cakes turned out slightly bigger, and I didn't realize until it was already my middle layer with jam inside. Wuuups.
    2.) Apparently I might have needed a crumb layer on my frosting to get the thick look I was wanting? Or American buttercream was the wrong way to go. I was hoping for a nice thick outer coating of frosting that you couldn't see the cake through, and it became apparently pretty quickly that that was not going to happen. Thankfully, the naked cake look is in. :D

MassalinieMrTRiotStrikes
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited May 2020

Shitty photo of my cookie fruit tart. Love seeing all your posts guys!!!

maliaMassalinieStrikesCharshie

First time making Bakewell Tarts!
    I wanted to try something in these tart pans I bought back around crimbo time. Did them with raspberry jam and sprinkled some almonds on top. Got 16 mini tarts, and had a bit more filling than I needed (probably put in too much jam, I dunno). I'm pretty pleased with them given I really had no idea what to expect. I love me some almonds, and raspberries too!
    I would've liked them a little sweeter, perhaps some thin icing. Also some recipes seems to use a lot less egg, which might've been good.
    https://entertainingwithbeth.com/cherry-bakewell-tart-recipe/

maliaStrikesGarg

Mmmm, everyone’s bakes look awesome! And the crumb of your bread sure looks good @Massalinie, height be damned!

Massalinie
    edited May 2020

Added in the wrong order for some reason 🤷🏻‍♀️, but browned butter carrot cake with browned butter frosting!

GnomeQueenMassalinieStrikesCharshie
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2020

And so it begins.... What I hope becomes a Glazed Cherry Bread.

MassalinieStrikes

@HumerusMeg Your fruit tart is beautiful! I love the star fruit