Twenty Years

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited August 2020 in Community

It was 20 years ago today that @Mortin cobbled together a server in his closet with @celcho and apushardware.com went live with its first article. A year later that became Icrontic.com (and then 3 years after that Short-Media.com and then Icrontic.com again even tho there was also another Icrontic... it gets complicated).

Of the thousands of communities built before and since that time, most are long gone. Thanks to all the old-timers for sticking around for so bloody long; your reward is being old. :crazy: And thanks to all the newer folks for finding common cause with us and keeping things fresh.

A "community" isn't a thing that forms once and exists forever. Change is inevitable and constant. Folks who arrived last week are just as important as folks who have been around all 20 years, because you have one critical thing in common: you kept coming back.

Cheers, all. :mullet:

KwitkoMrTRiotBlackHawkChoochBuddyJMt_GoatGnomeQueenMassalinieBobbyDigiWinfreyRjboccoStrikesEMTCreeperbane2AlexDeGruvenCyrixInsteadkless001MJORyder

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think it's important for us to use this date to remember that this entire thing was started by a couple of goofy kids in Florida over one hot summer.
    When Keith left us, he was eulogized by people all over the world. At the tender young age of 19, he had a tremendous impact. Here are some of the words left behind to remember him.

MrTRiotMassalinieWinfreyMAGICRjboccoEMTGargCyrixInsteadkless001MJO
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Who's old? Who hobbled along 20 years ago? But I must admit my Abit KT7A system does have some trouble waking up. And it acts like it has a bad case of arthritis. It can't pass any benchmarks without a few breaks and a pot of coffee. Those were the days my friends. We thought they would never end. Oops, sorry. (wink wink)

This has been a community like no other. And I feel extremely fortunate to have been a part of 2 such communities and the other one is long gone.

primesuspectBuddyJEMTMJO
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

It's been a wild ride and I look forward to the next 20+ years!

BuddyJprimesuspectMJO
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2020

I've been here for 19 of those years. Amazing to think that I've been an IC member longer than I've been married, or stayed at one particular job. Icrontic has seen marriages and kids, helped people through trauma, life, and- sadly- death. We've formed unbreakable bonds, traveled across the country to gather, and laughed and cried together. All because of some kid and his friends and a dumb server.

BuddyJprimesuspectRjbocco
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

I have been around about 18 years, joined back in the Thunderbird days.
    Lots of good advice and conversations over those years. Ed

BuddyJprimesuspect
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

Keith's "Ghetto Hardware" series sums up the beginning for me. Showed me that people who geek out about hardware to the level I wanted to, well, they existed! And I could talk to them on the forums! Finally, I could relate on an emotional level as they got super silly with the computer pieces. 🔨

Much love to the community and all the many people who have stepped up to invest in and lead within IC over the years.

BuddyJprimesuspectMt_Goatpigflipper
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

IC was my digital transition from dial-up BBS to an online community. It's been so long, but there's strong possibility I joined IC before I joined Facebook. Thanks for all the hard work on keeping the lights on and the community active.

LincprimesuspectThraxpigflipper
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member

Been a long time since I've stopped by, but stumbled on this thread, and it made me smile. Crazy that it's been over 20 years since Keith started this thing. It is seriously cool to think that something he started has made it this long since he passed.

I know this is an old thread, but cheers to another 20 (or 22) years!
    -Ryan

RyderGargMt_GoatWinfreyLincCyrixInsteadQCHprimesuspect
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian

Oh my! Amazing thread. So many heros i learned from.
    Dropping by to say hi. Hope you are all well.

CyrixInsteadRyderLincQCH