Tomb Raider

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited February 2004 in Gaming
I was looking at some of my older games and thought I'd play TR3 again. I know it won't (officially) run under XP but there must be a way. I've tried all the compatability modes, no joy. Does anybody know of a way to play this?

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Here you go Bothered. I did a little searching and found this for you http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/windowsxp.html

Hope it helps.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2004
    Neo, I love you and want to have your babies.
    Great find mate, I've tried a few times over the last few years to play TR again. Now I can. Thanks heaps.
    edited February 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Neo, I love you and want to have your babies.

A simple thanks would have done. Now I need to shower I feel unclean ;D
    edited February 2004
    Eidos basically say 'hard luck' They offer no support for this and say they don't intend to. I installed the patch and had a quick try out, it plays like it did originally, brilliant. It even fixed a sound glitch. This has made my day.
    Thanks again.
    edited February 2004
    I had a quick look on there and found this http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr1/glidos/index.html. Supposed to improve the graphics for the original tomb raider.
    edited February 2004
    I don't believe what just happened. I've been happily tomb raiding all week, got about half way through. I just sat down and clicked the shortcut and it asked for the disc, which was in the drive. Then there was a loud crack. I thought it was my Daughter who was sat behind me on the other PC, she thought it was me. We looked round but couldn't see what had caused it. I sat down again and clicked 'retry' it asked for the disc again. I opened the drive door to check that the disc was in and out fell lots of tiny pieces of Tomb Raider three! I recon only about a quarter has come out, the rest is in the drive. I can't even shut the door. So if anybody knows where to get a no CD fix for TR3, I'd apprieciate it.
    Looks like I'm going to Micro Direct in the morning for a new drive, Oh well.
  • edited February 2004
    OUCH! that sucks bothered. you got a pm though ;)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I always check gamecopyworld.com first any time that I need to completely legaly play a game that I did buy, that I have since lost the disk for.
  • edited February 2004
    Might as well open up the drive first and dump out all the peices before you just pitch it and get a new one.

'less you're just looking for a reason to buy a new toy...
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited February 2004
    http://www.gameburnworld.com/pcgamefixes.htm
    But beware, there are 41 jabillion pop ups there. Trust me, I counted.
    edited February 2004
    Cheers guys but I went shopping. I replaced the drive with a cheap Sony DVD (£23, Micro Direct) and a Soldout TR3 (£4.99, PC World, buy 2 get 1 free) Which is less than TR3 cost me originally!
    What surprised me was how small the bits of shattered disc were. The drive was full of splinters. I didn't want to even try cleaning it bearing in mind how cheap a replacement drive is. I thought CD ROMs were made from an aluminium disc, this broke like it was made of toughened glass. How do they shatter like this in normal use?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited February 2004
    they're polycarbonate. Commercial disks have a stamped aluminum sheet that has the data on it. CD-Rs/RWs have dye layers. But I digress. To answer your question about how they shatter; it can happen for a number of reasons:

-The CD is flawed from the factory, and is weaker than it should be. Drive spins up, CD can't handle centrifugal force, CD explodes

-The CD has weakened with age

-The CD has been damaged, by being dropped, stepped on, scratched, etc. Microscopic cracks are all it takes in a real high speed CD drive

-The CD drive was a very high speed model. High speed CD drives have high rotational speeds. The higher the rotational speed, the more force is put on the disc. Good drives will eliminate this problem by making sure the disc doesn't vibrate or anything, which indicates that it's being over-revved. Anyhow, if you over-rev a cd, even a perfectly good one, by a large enough amount, it will come flying apart.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    Here you go, Bothered - a nice Saturday project for you and the young 'uns:

The Case of the Exploding CD-ROM Record
    :cheers:
    edited February 2004
    Cheers prof, very interesting. I think the old drive was 52x, ie, 27,500 rpm. phew!