Internet Connection Icon

ChipChip Dallas Member
edited February 2005 in Science & Tech
In WindowsXP, what exactly is that Internet Connection Icon for? You'll find it in your Internet Connections listing along with your Local Area Connection and your 1394 Connection (if you have Firewire). It seems to be some service that maps ports, mainly msmgs. I'm guessing the msmgs are those annoying windows popups that you'll get if you don't turn off Messenger service.

I don't recall ever seeing this icon before and it doesn't seem neccessary but I can't delete it.

Comments

• MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Not exactly sure what you are talking about, post a screenie. All I see is the only network connection I have.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Have you checked for spyware lately, chip?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    spyware, memtest, spyware, memtest, spyware, memtest..... that about summarizes 99% of prime's posts, save for the couple in the SM band thread lol. just busting your chops dude, don't go postal on me.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Chip wrote:
    In WindowsXP, what exactly is that Internet Connection Icon for? You'll find it in your Internet Connections listing along with your Local Area Connection and your 1394 Connection (if you have Firewire). It seems to be some service that maps ports, mainly msmgs. I'm guessing the msmgs are those annoying windows popups that you'll get if you don't turn off Messenger service.

I don't recall ever seeing this icon before and it doesn't seem neccessary but I can't delete it.

Boxes with modems or cable that uses PPPoE will have a legacy Internet Coinnection. Boxes with with just a LAN connect, like through a router, will have a LAN connect instead if they were not set up for PPPoE and user login to web supplier. Seen boht where folks have had a modem in, modem is still in computer, and have failback ISP access via PPPPoE\dialup and also a broadband connect. I have failback setup here, have not used in along time, pay by month or quarter for a failback dialup at about $6.00 per month with Neandertech.com mostly so can web access email if Comcast faults.

Set up due to lots of cutins local on comcast, big Condo complex going in half a block from me. I will pull that when I no longer need it. The techs keep grounding the line there, I lose cable internmittently-- usually while looking things up on web or cleaning junk off Comcast email server to tell it they are junk mail. Murphy makes for the need for failback and redundancy, the Internet Connection is for PPPoE or where XP thinks it has such when it autoprobes the setup and ISP login is set up. Soem cable companies use PPPoE and set up varying IPs, per actual access, and some aDSL connects also use PPPoE(typically the ones set up for failback access to web or where a company sets up an occassional use DSL line for emergency use).

XP Pro will support multiple connects if one looks like a LAN to XP, and one looks like PPPoE if a modem or two NICs are present in box.

John D.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Does it look like this ?

That's the plug-n-play router. WinXP shows it that way after it's detected. If you double click it you can do port forwarding so that is what you are seeing. You must have a router somewhere.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    It's 90% of my posts because it fixes 90% of the problems I encounter ;D

YUO SUCK KANNEAZFAN! DIE DIE DIE!
    edited March 2004
    Missleman-- a router in uPNP mode might look like that, but in my router uPNP is off. Xp runs fine, no internet connection icons, just LAN icons. The Linux instances prefer it that way and the XPs get along with it. I do not have an Internet connection icon, but am posting from Florida using an XP install right now. Gateway to my XP boxes IS the router IP, DHCP provider is the router. Little baby Netgear RP614v2 with latest BIOS flashed to it. Both XP boxes have uPNP off also.

The data transfer from box to box is a bob-to-box connect I only have up when needed. Normally, the business box does not surf much (IT IS online and knows it), gets things I want from archive from a cold-swap IDE HD in tray. I DO have firewire link for other things, typically leave it disabled. Router is configured as firewall, both boxes have firewall software of their own onboard also, and both boxes run AV.

Simpler not to mess with setting up an Internet Connection for XP if you are not an AT&T customer who had RR via DSL connect or cable connect, they used PPPoE. Sprint DSL also does use PPPoE. Then you have to use an Internet connection often simply because that is how XP shows a PPPoE connect (as an Internet Connection).

My boxes simply think my router is a valid DHCP server-- LAN style.

John D.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Won thing you are gonna find is even with uPnP off WinXp will still find it. The only thing turning it off does is stop WinXP from opening ports on demand. You're right though, since it is the DHCP server it is going to get seen by the box regardless. I just was wondering what exactly he was seeing :tongue:
    edited March 2004
    Missileman wrote:
    Won thing you are gonna find is even with uPnP off WinXp will still find it. The only thing turning it off does is stop WinXP from opening ports on demand. You're right though, since it is the DHCP server it is going to get seen by the box regardless. I just was wondering what exactly he was seeing :tongue:

Right, and since I WANT RPC basicly shut down, one way is to get XP not to accept remote port connects and then open an RPC connect for smething that is not legit. I understood the thrust, simply wanted to make lcear why my answer went seemingly all over the ballpark....

John D-- who thinks he is almost in love with his IBM Pro keyboard too, and needs to practice typing right (this is for the Bytes... :D ). I now type over twice as fast, four fingered, two per hand-- don't ask, it is a vision thing and hands are intact.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    edited March 2004
    Missileman wrote:
    That's the plug-n-play router. WinXP shows it that way after it's detected. If you double click it you can do port forwarding so that is what you are seeing. You must have a router somewhere.

Missileman, you nailed it. I've got a Linksys Wireless router. I KNEW that connection icon was doing port forwarding but for the life of me I couldn't understand why. I guess I still don't see a need for it since the Linksys will already to port forwarding. I guess if you run out of port forwarding slots on the router, you can add more on that "Internet Connection" icon.

Thanks to all that responded.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    spyware, memtest, spyware, memtest, spyware, memtest..... that about summarizes 99% of prime's posts, save for the couple in the SM band thread lol....

Are you implying Prime is full of viruses and can't remember squat? :nudge:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    spyware, memtest, spyware, memtest, spyware, memtest..... that about summarizes 99% of prime's posts, save for the couple in the SM band thread...
    You left out Snuffie :D
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2004

I bet you had a big party a few days ago, when that new version of memtest was released. I bet you had everyone line up in a row and one by one stick their finger in a 'DRAM socket just to give them a health check. :bigggrin:

Chip wrote:
    Missileman, you nailed it. I've got a Linksys Wireless router. I KNEW that connection icon was doing port forwarding but for the life of me I couldn't understand why. I guess I still don't see a need for it since the Linksys will already to port forwarding. I guess if you run out of port forwarding slots on the router, you can add more on that "Internet Connection" icon.

Thanks to all that responded.
    Glad you figured it out Chip.:smiles: I have that icon as well. I think it's there primarily to let you know the system has detected and connected with a connection. Helpfull when you're having internet connectivity problems.
    edited March 2004

YUO SUCK KANNEAZFAN! DIE DIE DIE!

:sawed: :bawling:
    edited March 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    :sawed: :bawling:

I'm sorry Kanezfan, those emoticons have little resonance with me when you've got some Jay Leno look alike having a seizure attack in your avatar. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to lose it. Besides, I have to stop working for half an hour 'cause I just can't stop laughing at it. :p
    edited March 2004
    i have no pull around here whatsoever anymore. again i say :bawling: to you
    edited March 2004
    kanezfan wrote:
    i have no pull around here whatsoever anymore. again i say :bawling: to you

Nope, it's still not doing anything for me. No symapthy... except for the poor guy who's sitting on Michael Jacksons knee in your avatar! :wink:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    Spinner wrote:
    ...except for the poor guy who's sitting on Michael Jacksons knee in your avatar! :wink:
    Michael Jackson weighs about 138 lbs. I bet that kid's left butt-cheek weighs more than that. :vimp:
    edited March 2004
    actually, Michael Jackson only weighs 120 lbs. He must look like Ali McBeal on a really bad day with his shirt off... uuuhggghghhh, excuse me while I vomit that thought out of my head.
  • edited February 2005
    Guys please help!!!

Listen to what similar prob I have: (which is obviously because of spyware)

I CAN'T double click on the internet connection icon! It opens and closes simultaneously. Leave aside the fact that I see hell of a lot of activity at the upload icon! :-(

I have ADSL connection using a router. I used many anti-spyware and antivirus progz but didn;t solve the prob. Nor did 3 system restores...

what should I do? please help me!!!!

Kyr
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2005
    download hijackthis from short-media's very own downloads section and post the log it creates in our spyware and virus forums!