Are we at critical mass???

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited March 2004 in Community
I DO think so..... Not for server, but for site becoming very popular.... Right now there are 16 members online here, and 64 others (Anonymous readers). Ratio has been between 3X to 5x the number of non-members reading versus members counted for last 3-4 weeks (and you wondered why I was logged in so often, mods?? I was looking at things like THAT....).

This was so EVERY time I looked in. Thought if you did not have those stats, mods and admins might like to know, and others encouraged that in NO way is this forum too small. We are getting LOTS of attention.

This is VERY, VERY good for this forum site....

John D.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    Some of those guests are bots from search engines like google.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    MM also posted a review today, I'm sure that had sth. to do with it.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited March 2004
    Review spikes are seen usually 36-48 hrs after posting. That spike is from the 27th...a day ago.

Actually...what I've known in the past and still holds true that makes a site work is the staff and the members. We have the best of both. :)
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited March 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    Actually...what I've known in the past and still holds true that makes a site work is the staff and the members. We have the best of both. :)

How right you are....about the members. :D
    :celebrate
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    How right you are....about the members. :D
    :celebrate

So what are you saying about the Mods, hmmmmmm?

Be it known that any innuendo about the character of the Mods will result in instantaneous banning!

/me fumbles about for the ban stick to beat the lesson into Eyes Only: "thou shalt not make fun of thy Short Media Mods..."

;D

Dexter...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    So what are you saying about the Mods, hmmmmmm?

Be it known that any innuendo about the character of the Mods will result in instantaneous banning!

/me fumbles about for the ban stick to beat the lesson into Eyes Only: "thou shalt not make fun of thy Short Media Mods..."

;D

Dexter...
    Can someone switch Dexter's coffee to decaf in the staff room please? :p
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    Review spikes are seen usually 36-48 hrs after posting. That spike is from the 27th...a day ago.

Right, a forum is a pseudocommunity. A tech forum that draws newer enthusiasts and older ones, and keeps the enthusiasts coming back, works. This site is doing that. Some are lurkers for a while. Google bots sites, but does not crawl one site with 8-10 bots at a time-- it typically uses one bot per site, on a scheduled crawl with popular sites getting more frequent crawling. Most of the other search engines do similar things.

Having many bots per site, with over a million and a half sites to crawl, would be incredibly bandwidth intense for search engine crawl report processing servers. So, figure about 3-4% of the anonymous crawlers\readers at any one time are bots, MAX. Add private bots, maybe another 2-3% percent max, at any one moment. The rest are humans. Apply Bell curve, this is a random hit structure. So, mu is (0+7)/2 or 3.5% bots. We are getting 75-94% anonymous hits at the random moments I am looking at main forum page. HEAVY interest. NEAT! VERRYYY NEAT!

NOTE: I look at http://www.searchenginewatch.com/ for info about search engines. Over the years, they have been pretty dang accurate. Also good for explaining how to search web for info.

John D.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2004
    I browse therefor I am!

This site is bound to work, Quality will out.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    Decaf nothing. Dex just needs to back off the triple mocha latte crappachinos ;D
    edited March 2004
    So that's what you get for speaking your point eh. Those mods.

Edit
    Sorry i was mad at some other forums mod and not related to this site please don't ban me. :D

Nice edit eh. Seriously i might like you i just need to get to know you first but do keep dex away from caffien, sugar and whatever else that get's him so uptight for the safety of all who visit this forum. ;D

If this forum get's this much traffic it must be popular. Yeah for the mods and most importantly of course all members. :D

:celebrate:

/me runs for his life. :)
  • DexterDexter
    grabs The Ban Stick from Shorty, bashes Geeky1 upside the head for his insolence in daring to mess with my cappucinos, and then chases Eyes Only from room to room cackling insanley "I smell a banning!!! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Dexter...
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2004
    grabs The Ban Stick from Shorty, bashes Geeky1 upside the head for his insolence in daring to mess with my cappucinos, and then chases Eyes Only from room to room cackling insanley "I smell a banning!!! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Dexter...
    edited March 2004
    ;D

I think i speak for both G and me when i say: Just bring it. :D

/me continious running for his life.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited March 2004
    *Geeky rubs head*

Allright! I want to know who gave Dex sugar!! Which one of you was it!?!? :mad:;D;D