Worth adding a router/firewall?

2»

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    ...Are there any advandages of running hardware compaired to software other than freeing up ram. Have no network but i've been wondering about this.
    In this thread you'll read about a trojan which disables many AV programs.

As a general rule of thumb it is much easier to disable software than it is to bypass a hardware firewall.

More here from Norton.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    If you click on them Shields UP will tell you. :thumbup

Actually it doesn't. It only identifies the first of the 4. I also want to know why they are stealthed.
    edited April 2004
    Enverex wrote:
    Actually it doesn't. It only identifies the first of the 4. I also want to know why they are stealthed.
    :scratch: They all work for me...

Port 996 Name: vsinet
    Port 997 Name: maitrd
    Port 998 Name: busboy
    Port 999 Name: puprouter

As to why they are stealthed on your system when none of the others are, I have no idea. :confused2
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Wierd, the first one showed up as vsinet, but the others just said their number. Oh well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Ah, I feel better. All ports were green, save one, which was blue.

I'm already a big fan of the new Security forums! Bravo!
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    In this thread you'll read about a trojan which disables many AV programs.

As a general rule of thumb it is much easier to disable software than it is to bypass a hardware firewall.

More here from Norton.

Thanks prof. Looks like i should add one to my purchase list.
    Leonardo wrote:
    I'm already a big fan of the new Security forums! Bravo!
    Yeah this forum is nice and unfortunantly very needed.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2004
    Another good app to have in your arsenal is Active Ports.
    Active Ports - easy to use tool for Windows NT/2000/XP that enables you to monitor all open TCP/IP and UDP ports on the local computer. Active Ports maps ports to the owning application so you can watch which process has opened which port. It also displays a local and remote IP address for each connection and allows you to terminate the owning process. Active Ports can help you to detect trojans and other malicious programs

And the price is right too: free :thumbsup:

Dexter...
    edited April 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    Another good app to have in your arsenal is Active Ports....
    Dexter, that is a great program. Thanks! :canflag:
    edited April 2004
    My brother have a DI-604 which he recommended but seing as dlink might not be a good chose i'm going for the sMC that fudgam recommended. Nice price and features. What i need to know is. Can i connect it even though my internet comes trough the phoneline to an usbmodem and not to a nic. I'll check the manual.

Edit
    The manual says i need an adapter but i can't find one. And it was flintstone that recommended the router not fudgam.
    edited April 2004
    Ok adapter found. LevelOne USB-0100TX Adapter USB-FastEthernet. Should i get one or consider switching isp and then modem which i've been thinking about anyway.

The answer is hell no. No way i'm paying $36,4 for an adapter. This will mean that i won't be able to use the firewall for a while but that's ok.

Edit
    Oops wrote hxxx yes when it was supposed to be no.
  • edited October 2004
    :confused: You geeks have me in a quandry now. I know I want an 8 port wired router,with vpn,print sharing,and firewall.

I have a netgear in the box, no print serving or vpn.

Then I read about a smoothwall server. I'm :confused: , here's what I'd like:
    Print server on each of 2 floors,can do without vpn, have a bunch of old 'puters.

My first post,EASY NOW BIG BOYS! (thanks).