Team switching projects: Choose a new one!

13»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    Somehow I knew someone would think they were talking about themselves.:rolleyes2;D;D

Edit: Hes gone..http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=34638
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Whatever.. Obviously he wasn't in it for the team, he was in it for his own rankings :rolleyes: -- that's not teamwork..

As always, I couldn't care less what team anybody folds for - at least he's folding :D
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    So he really is gone. :( Oh well at least he's still folding. :)
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited April 2004
    Whatever.. Obviously he wasn't in it for the team, he was in it for his own rankings :rolleyes: -- that's not teamwork..

As always, I couldn't care less what team anybody folds for - at least he's folding :D

I was going to stay out of here but this is hard to understand. I go from a vibrant team where i have built some respect, many friends, and lots of fun - I have made a substantial contribution to the team that stays with the team and back to a one man team (well my son and his wife did some folding) and on that team I am obviously #1! The team is ranked #1,928 and I have a score of 8,657.46 - that puts me right up there worldwide at # 10,896. Yes, that is pretty selfish of me. Jack

"Nothing is worse than active ignorance."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832); German poet and playwright.
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited April 2004
    I have only been a member here a few months. But I do find this so much more than a computer forum. The sense of community is very strong, and that is the reason that I continue to stop by every day.
    Keebs made a joke, that he felt the rest of us would also find some humor in. Some did, some didn't. And members have voiced their opinions.
    And when there seem to be a backlash against this "prank", Matt has stepped up and offered an apology, and is willing to accept any reprimand from the group.
    While I thought the joke was funny, I understand the hurt it caused. But because of the amount of time and effort that Matt puts into this place, we all know where his heart lies. I feel he has done the right thing, and I support that.
    I feel we should all take a deep breath and put this behind us. I also think this thread should be closed.
    edited April 2004
    Man you werent even on the EOC stats before you made the switch back because they only do the stats for the top 2k teams and now you are all the way up to #1915. Thats crazy man.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Dragstk wrote:
    I have only been a member here a few months. But I do find this so much more than a computer forum. The sense of community is very strong, and that is the reason that I continue to stop by every day.
    Keebs made a joke, that he felt the rest of us would also find some humor in. Some did, some didn't. And members have voiced their opinions.
    And when there seem to be a backlash against this "prank", Matt has stepped up and offered an apology, and is willing to accept any reprimand from the group.
    While I thought the joke was funny, I understand the hurt it caused. But because of the amount of time and effort that Matt puts into this place, we all know where his heart lies. I feel he has done the right thing, and I support that.
    I feel we should all take a deep breath and put this behind us. I also think this thread should be closed.
    I've been trying to find the right words to express my thoughts on this. Dragstk did it for me - the words bear repeating. My only point of disagreement is over closing the thread, I think it might be better to talk it out if people need to.

As the newest Team Leader I thought I might be able to add a little insight on what actually happens "behind the scenes" during our scheming and planning sessions.

First, let me say that I immediately knew that this was a joke. As others have mentioned, nothing is done without lots of discussion (and usually enough deliberation to make the US Senate look speedy).

Our team is made up of hundreds of individuals who decided to help the Folding project and have made a personal choice to ally themselves with Team 93. Without each and every one of you there would be no team at all. The leadership exist for the sole purpose of helping each member enjoy their affiliation with the team and get the most out of their efforts. The closest we come to making a blanket decision for the team is in the selection of the SMx project hosts. (Look for more news on that soon!) Other than that, what we do is try and provide the kind of service that we wish we got from our elected politicians. Recent discussions have centered around getting our own stats program off the ground, and repairing the stats update in our sigs. We have also accelerated our efforts to make the SMx project an even greater success. Never has there been any diabolical movement towards pushing the team (or any individual member) in any direction. That is up to each person to determine for themselves. We couldn't pull it off even if we wanted to - and no one wants to try.

Because we are a growing, dynamic team we have many newer members not familiar with our history. Allow me to give a brief recap of how we got to be where we are today.

The reason we were awarded "93" as a team # is that we were among the very first to join the F@H project when it was just getting started. Currently there are tens of thousands of teams - you can be proud to be a part of one of the first to get in the game.

Last May, the old Icrontic website was hacked and the owner put the name up for sale on ebay. Anyone could have won the bid for the rights to the name. Team 93 was homeless and in limbo until MediaMan, primesuspect, and Shorty formed Short-Media.

During this period there was a small group of people who held the team together - our "Moses" leading the vagabonds through the desert. Thanks to the gracious sportsmanship of one of our friendly rivals, Amdmb, we had a place to regroup. You can read the blow-by-blow here.

If you browse through the second link I posted you will see how instrumental Matt was in keeping the team together. It may sound corny, but I still remember the joy I felt when I stumbled into that forum and found all of my old buddies. If you have any doubts about what Matt has meant to this team this should dispel them.

witenoiz, I have nothing but respect for your decision. It's not my place to decide for someone else what should or should not bother them. You didn't let your pique slow you down as far as Folding goes, which speaks volumes for your dedication to the project. I hope you know that you are welcome here anytime and that Team 93 appreciates everyone who Folds - no matter which team they Fold for.
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited April 2004
    Thank you, Profdlp, for filling in some of this teams history.
    The only reason I suggested this thread be closed, was because of the tension I was feeling, moving through the group. I recieved some PM's, agreeing to this. None of us want to see this group fracture, and lose the "family feeling".Maybe this type of tension has happened before. And the older members know it will blow over. If so, that's cool. Then you can take this as new members observation.
    I know closing this would not necessarily stop the debate, but I was hoped that it might allow eveyone to pause and reflect.
    Dragstk
    edited April 2004
    I rarely ever close a thread because of things said. Only when it goes overboard. Closing thread just causes more tension between members and the mods.

I like the way prof said it. The Folding "Staff" as you could call it, is juts here to help assist new members, keep the stats running, try to keep the members informed about FAH info as it comes out, and run the SMx project. All we can really do is help guide the members of this team to be even better contributers to Stanford.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    I rarely ever close a thread because of things said. Only when it goes overboard...
    Dragstk - Thanks to calm, reasoned posts like yours that hopefully won't happen here.

:respect:
  • redoulentredoulent Michigan
    edited April 2004
    Some people are too sensitive. At first I was like WTF? then I read the poll choices. One of them was a give away. I was on-call that week so no time for forum hopping. Didn't see the poll til today.

I don't think this April fools day joke was in poor taste. Gateway letting 40% of it's workforce go was in poor taste since they did it on April 1st. Put it in perspective people. This is a good team with an active community.

Now back to my regularly scheduled EGO massaging!

:kneel:
  • res0r9lmres0r9lm Florida
    edited April 2004
    I seen those other dc projects that were listed. Umm the fact that the FAAH project has been over for awhile and DPAD is just redoing old work I'm like "hey wait I just switched everything over". I have to say find-a-drug has had a great deal of sucess but FAH has alot better client and hopefully will start getting in the news more often.

Good joke...wrong crowd.