Team switching projects: Choose a new one!

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    witenoiz wrote:
    I'll go back to Team Prescient - I am #1 there! Maybe I will fold again for team 93 when I drop back to #50. Jack

Thanks for your contributions.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2004
    coulda been sarcasm on witenoiz's part
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    Let's hope so otherwise we'll be falling big in the standings. :(
  • edited April 2004
    witenoiz wrote:
    I'll go back to Team Prescient - I am #1 there! Maybe I will fold again for team 93 when I drop back to #50. Jack

Umm Jack, if you were trying to nail keebs right back, then you evidently succeeded, man. :)
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Damn, I wanted to find ET!
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited April 2004
    Damn, Creep!

Haven't seen you in a while.

I was never able to thank you for introducing me to this community.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    So did people really make those votes for SETI, or are the results faked?

Thankfully I knew it had to be a Fool's Day joke immediately upon reading the subject, so I didn't have a chance to get offended by this.

Jack, if you're serious about leaving the team, we're sorry to lose you. If it's an April Fool's joke right back... good one. ;)

:fold::fold::fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    :rant:

DAMN! You hit me hard. I've never been boinked that bad before by an April Fool's joke. OK, now that the adrenaline rush is abating..... that was a particulary nasty joke, but very well done. Although I'm a bit angry now, my compliments on a well-executed joke.

Man, I tell you. I was about ready to go to the Folding Team Staff area and blast the the other leadership for leaving me out of the decision to switch projects. I could rant some but....

A grudgin 'well done' on the joke. :cheers:

(PS I REFUSE to vote for a project. :rant::rant:
  • Superducky55Superducky55 Michigan
    edited April 2004
    i haven't read a post here in porbably a good 4 months and this was the first i clicked on..
    since i didn't know what's been up around here.. i completely fell for it..
    :biggrin:
    edited April 2004
    haven't read a post here in porbably a good 4 months and this was the first i clicked on..
    since i didn't know what's been up around here.. i completely fell for it..

Wow, what a homecoming thread!

Hey, don't feel bad, I'm a Supermod, and I fell for it, for more than just a couple seconds.

(My excuse :rolleyes: is that I had just returned from a business trip that involved several hundred miles of driving today. I was tired and not exactly alert.)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    coulda been sarcasm on witenoiz's part

I sure hope so.

Keebler made those votes when he made the thread. At least most of those were not voted for.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2004
    ha, i added one to seti :D
    edited April 2004
    I myself voted for particle accelerator thing. Sounds interresting.

Edit
    http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v4.html
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Um, good joke. I kinda thought that this important a thing would not be joked about, though. I figured it had to be a joke, did not vote. Howsoever, a post with this kind of poll might include:

"What day is this?" for those folks who do not know US April Fool's Day joking customs, and also might be new or not have read messages here for a long time and do not know our established dedication to Folding.

WiteNoiz, we DO NEED YOU here on our Team. I think that in this case, you could forgive us for the tradition here of having zingers on websites on April Fool's day. There is no way we would switch without having MAJOR discussions about this, as the team predates Short-Media. Thus the Icrontic team naming on some of the team boxes....

Zingers are really neato, if one remembers date and is not focussed on things that need doing that day-- like telling Gigabyte they REALLY DO have virused driver packs on their central FTP server. I did not even see this thread until now.... The Gigabyte virus thread was NOT a joke, I do not joke about that kind of thing.

John D.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2004
    Ageek wrote:
    WiteNoiz, we DO NEED YOU here on our Team. I think that in this case, you could forgive us for the tradition here of having zingers on websites on April Fool's day. There is no way we would switch without having MAJOR discussions about this, as the team predates Short-Media. Thus the Icrontic team naming on some of the team boxes....

:clap::clap:

Well said John. If this would not have been a joke, there would have been very major and long held discussions, not just a matter-of-fact post with a poll. We certainly don't want to see anyone get all upset and take their WU's elsewhere.

The whole point of being a Team here is that we can feel a sense of community: laugh together, grit our teeth together, cry together, fold together. Keeb's joke was the laughing part. Having a bit of fun with each other is part of the camaraderie of being on a team together, just like pranks in the locker room would be. I joined this team after it's re-birth here at Short-Media, but I have always been made to feel like an important part of the team despite the fact the I never folded a WU under the Icrontic banner. The sense of community here on this site, a large part of which comes from this folding team, is unbelievable, and having some fun has been a part of that bonding. I hope that everyone can remember that.

:celebrate

:fold::fold::fold:

Dexter...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I second Dexter.... This is a family and I happen to love families that can have fun, laugh, cry, and even be mift at someone (as long as you make up). "Computer Geeks" have a stigma associated with them... Anti-social, dorky, broken glasses that only talkand use acronyms... Many of you may fit that stereotype, but anti-social??? Nope. We're social; just not in the traditional sense. Older generations looked at the phone the same way... "The telephone will make people less likely to go visit and socialize"... Of course, they didn't know that Cell phone would allow people to be social while being social.... I digress... S-M is a family with the same dynamics as a family. Jokes included.

-qch
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Well.... Doesnt look positive in regards to witenoiz
    :sad2:
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I really did want to find ET!
    edited April 2004
    Creep wrote:
    I really did want to find ET!

Then try to find him. I don't know how many computers you have but if you have more then when just switch one of them. Be warned though that the comp needs to be dedicated since you can NOT use seti@home and something else at the same time. That's why i quit doing it.

So have anyone heard from witenoise or know how to get in touch with him. It's sad that he took it so seriously.

BTW ageek i too thought that the virus thing was bogus. :D Almost glad it's not.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=34638

11 acive CPUs. 200 more points and he will be on EOC stats, should be shortly.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited April 2004
    When I first read the initial post in this thread, I was furious. Mainly at this part of it: We will be migrating the team en masse to a new project to replace Folding@Home. I thought to myself "A few people cannot speak for the whole team and think we'll ALL change over".

I was so mad, I thought it best not to post my feelings right away. Two days later, I still feel this "joke" was in POOR TASTE. Many of us take Folding@Home very serious for personal reasons. It's fun to joke about passing someone or being passed by someone, but Keeb's post was "out of bounds" in MY OPINION.

I'm just glad witenoize is still contributing to F@H even if it's not for this team.
  • edited April 2004
    Well, I guess that this is a classic example of how April fool's jokes can hurt feelings and cause problems. :grumble:

Like MrBill, when I first read that I was also furious and also considered switching everything over to either AMDMB or back to overclockers.com immediately. Then I thought of Keebs age and how much younger he is than me and maybe he was just playing an April fool's joke. I also agree that it was in poor taste, but maybe it just because of our age that us older folders found this to be not funny, and held off from putting a rant in here. I guess us older folks just have a little different outlook on life and this project than the younger generations with this project. Seeing that the last time I was in from work I found out that my cousin, who is my age BTW, had just found out that he has colon cancer and was about to start chemo and radiation treatments just reenforced my feeling about this project and even if it was just a joke, the mere thought of switching to another project just left me cold, cold, cold. :(

Like MrBill, I'm glad that Jack is still contributing to the project, even though it isn't with this team any longer. :(
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2004
    To be honest, i think Doc has hit the nail on the head so to speak.
    I'm an "older" person myself and though i made light of it, i felt simular to the other "older" people.

As my kids are 26 & 28, i have experienced their outlook on things, which differ from mine. To be fair to them, i try and put things into their perspective and do understand we can't all be the same.
    I think back to when i was in my 20's and, shock, horror, i was worse than them.

As a family man, i have learned to allow my kids to make "mistakes/errors of judgement", even when i knew the outcome before they did. It is all part of growing up.
    Hell, even at 57 i do things and people older/more mature than me say: "why did you do that?"

In a nutshell, we all learn from life's experiences. I believe in "Lead by example" and hopefully, the "younger" generation can learn from the "older" generation, not forgetting they MUST be allowed to do things different.
    We can't all be clones now can we.
    Just imagine if we were all the same. How dull and boring that would be.

Though i have only been part of this "Family" for a short time, i feel there is a very strong bond here, just like a "real" family.

Me thinks we should all learn from each other and so we can ALL become better people because of it.

Sorry about the rant. ;)

Now it's time for me to check the stats again, :type: see who i can stir a bit, lol. :nudge:

:woowoo: Think of the worry(j/k) we could create if we (Sally & I) managed to get another puter up and running. :bigggrin: :nudge:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I would have to agree about it being in bad taste, considering the people here. Heh, and I don't even fold...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    MrBill wrote:
    I thought to myself "A few people cannot speak for the whole team and think we'll ALL change over".
    This is precisely why I assumed that everyone would quickly realize the joke.
    • The team leadership wouldn't and couldn't do something like that
    • The team leadership should've all figured out quickly that it was a farce since it takes us about a month to decide on anything anyway and it was never discussed
    • The last thing most of us would do is switch from finding medical solutions to SETI and it was impossible to get that many votes that fast in a poll
    I assumed the situation I described was ludicrous enough that it couldn't be taken seriously. Therein lies why I found this concept amusing: it was beyond outlandish to me. I'd like to think my sense of humor is not a function of my age. Rather, I perceived this topic differently than some of you have.

Some members more closely associate this project with the health of loved ones than I previously realized. Clearly, if I had known this thread would have offended my team mates I would never have posted it. April Fools Day, though perhaps my favorite day of the year, is certainly not worth the anger and ire of my friends.

I apologize for any offense or distress that I have caused, for the departure of witenoiz, and the abuse of my position as a team leader. If it is felt there should be consequences for these breeches of your confidence and my responsibility, reach a consensus and the proper steps may be taken by the other team leaders. Again, I apologize for my insensitivity to the beliefs and ideas of my team mates.

-Matt Russell
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited April 2004
    The last thing most of us would do is switch from finding medical solutions to SETI and it was impossible to get that many votes that fast in a poll.
    I didn't even look at the votes and still haven't.
    I apologize for any offense or distress that I have caused
    That's good enough for me Keebs! :) You have done too much FOR this team, to allow something intended as a joke, make me hold this against you.

There has been only one PERFECT person walk this earth and He is not part of these forums.

Fold on!! :fold:
    edited April 2004
    Ah Matt, stuff happens . It's that simple. Don't berate yourself. Humor a little too far is preferred over no humor at all, wouldn't you say? :smiles:

That old saying that 'you can't make all the people happy all the time' applies. No matter what we do, as members or leadership, people will join; and some of them will leave. Such is life. It happens to all the teams and at all of our forum contemporaries.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2004
    MrBill wrote:
    I didn't even look at the votes and still haven't.

That's good enough for me Keebs! :) You have done too much FOR this team, to allow something intended as a joke, make me hold this against you.

There has been only one PERFECT person walk this earth and He is not part of these forums.

It's not that i am stuck for words, just that i agree with MrBill 100%. To me this says it all. Keebs, you have my vote of confidence. :thumbsup:

edited April 2004

Leo quickly goes to browser Favorites, clicks on "S-M Team" stats links...Leo does not find JC. Leo lets out his breath slowly - sighhh :sad2:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2004

I'm afraid you're mistaken, for, as you can clearly see, I am indeed a member of these forums. :p;D