New Front Page!

MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
edited April 2004 in Community
(April 08, 2004) After 3 long months of work Short-Media.com will switch over to a new main site. The new front page offers a cleaner design, easier navigation and a whole host of features including integration between the forums and the main page. Main page visitors and forum regulars can now comment on news items, stories, articles and reviews and both area comments are shared. In the forums the forum regular will see comments posted on the main page and vice versa.

"It's like a third hidden site." says Short-Media's webmaster and coder Shorty. "It's really cool. We know some people like the main page and some like the forums. Say a regular to the main page posts something interesting on a story or a review...a forum visitor sees the thread like they usually do but they now see the main page comment. If they post something back then the main page visitor will see that too. Both places at once."

The new main page of Short-Media.com boasts custom code from the ground up. Every link, query, bit and byte has been custom built from scratch...tested and retested by Short-Media staff.

Mediaman, who is one of the owners, the reviewer and PR manager for Short-Media said "When the three of us (Mediaman, Shorty, Primesuspect) decided to pick up the pieces after Icrontic got hacked we new into front page design. We built two sites using pre-made CMS structure. Well...those didn't live up to our expectations. Now almost a year later and after some absolutely brilliant 'learn PHP in 5 easy months' by Shorty...I've been able to design a new front page that is more of what we wanted to begin with."

Short-Media has continued to strongly support the Folding@Home effort and a new section exists that is stunning and informative. The downloads section has been re-done to further increase capabilities and allow site visitors to get exactly what they are looking for.

New search functions, new navigation, layered comments. Even custom wallpapers for your desktop.

Primesuspect is the backbone of Short-Media...literally. "We know our servers. We know the absolute best way to maintain stability and data preservation while delivering the speed that our members expect. We've even taken the risk of letting Mediaman at the hardware. If there is anyone who can bork a site...it's him...and we are proud to say that we are many long months into a bork free site."

Short-Media's real backbone is the staff. Hardware Tech site staff are a group of dedicated volunteers who honestly care about tech, the community and making sure everyone get's the most from their PC. Spinner has taken on the downloads with a vengence. General Keebler has been instrumental in research of search engine optimizations and submission along with his usual merriment in welcoming EVERY new member and his integral role with F@H. Mr. Kwitko is managing our SMx project ensuring the folding team is well on track for the number 1 slot. There are many others that deserve Short-Media's recognition. It's the main reason why Short-Media is rising to a top tier site.

Short-Media's new front page takes hold today, Thursday April 08, 2004. Main page service interruptions will be minimal between the hours of 8-11 AM PST. The forums are expected to remain unaffected. The new front page is expected to be online by 12 noon PST.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    :rockon:

Best front page ever. Period.

$Shorty = "master of PHP";

:respect:

$Shorty .= " who r0xx0rs our b0xx0rs!!";

:respect:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Yeah! :woowoo: :leet:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I don't talk like that....I would never say "blistering speed"... :confused:;D
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    Which homepage. It's not working but when it does it will prolly be great.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    It's now alive and kicking:

http://www.short-media.com :)
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited April 2004
    GREAT JOB GUYS. I'LL HAVE TO BUY MYSELF A BETTER MOUSE (WITH SCROLL) SEEING AS HOW THE PAGES ARE SO FREAKING HUGE. NEVERTHELESS, THE LOAD TIMES ARE AWESOME!

CAPSLOCK == ON + BROKEN
    edited April 2004
    For just over three months.. I have lived and breathed PHP/MySQL/xHTML/JS and CSS. I haven't played a game, installed my new raptors... nothing but code..

It was worth it :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    And you are without a doubt the 1337 PHP master.:respect:
    edited April 2004
    Mr. Kwitko wrote:
    And you are without a doubt the 1337 PHP master.:respect:
    Someone started me on the right foot ;)
    edited April 2004
    Right... lets just list a few things...

1) Reviews can't be commented on until I've added their db reference to VBulletin.. Il be doing that over the course of the evening.. then that will be enabled :)

2) The bottom ads rotate properly (as someone pointed out ;) )..

That's about it.. rest should work fine.. please report any bugs that you find to me.. so I can nuke them :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    ...It was worth it :)
    I'm glad you still see it that way, after all your hard work.

It's definitely worth it from where I sit - beautiful job! Short-Media has been raised to a lofty new level. :clap:
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2004
    make sure you check out the desktop wallpapers. Just click on the banner at the top of the site. :) In fact....look everywhere through the site.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    make sure you check out the desktop wallpapers. Just click on the banner at the top of the site. :) In fact....look everywhere through the site.

Will do. What a great frontpage. Looked weird at first but i'm starting to understand it. Great job shorty. :type: :clap:;) :wow2:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    The only thing I don't like is the right-side navigation. It violates some sacred unwritten rule of web development. ;D

That said, I rarely, if ever, visit the front page.. So who cares? heh.

Looks nice guys, very cool.
    edited April 2004
    There may still be some intermittant downtime.. as Im doing a few database shuffles migrating data from the old database.. to the new one :)
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited April 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    The only thing I don't like is the right-side navigation. It violates some sacred unwritten rule of web development. ;D

Hell, I'd let it violate me too. Its so damn sexy. :thumbsup:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2004
    Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Shorty breaks out with yet another kick ass front page. Great work Shorty, you are no doubt the PHP master :cheers:
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited April 2004
    Just returned from my trip from the new Front Page.
    I am very impressed :respect:
    Shorty, you have done a great job :cheers:
    Dragstk