Rumor: AMD Thorton to be called Athlon FX

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
<b>AMD Thorton to be called Athlon FX</b> according to <a href="http://www.rojakpot.com/&quot; target=_blank>Adrian's Rojak Pot</a>

<i>"Has anyone heard of the new AMD Athlon FX? No? That wouldn‘t be surprising since I have never heard of it until now! <b>Athlon FX</b> is apparently going to be AMD‘s official name for the new Athlon XP Thorton core!

As you know, the Thorton core will be nothing more than a Barton core with half the L2 cache disabled. While the Barton is the successor of the Thoroughbred-B core, the Thorton looks set to be the new AMD Duron. However, since it‘s identical to the Barton (albeit with only half the L2 cache), it makes more sense for AMD to leverage the Thorton‘s similarity with the Athlon XP Barton core.

Using the Athlon name would enable AMD to market the Thorton core as a mid-end value processor, rather than a low-end processor that the Duron was. This would naturally translate into better selling prices for the processors and greater profits for AMD.

I‘ll try to confirm it with AMD and get more details so stay tuned! :) - No news from AMD yet... but I have confirmation from my source that the new processor will called the AMD Athlon FX!"</i>

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Oh God no! FX?! They should just put it Athlon Type R ;D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    But then they'd have to make it make obnoxious noises every time it booted... :rolleyes:

So, wth is the difference between the Thorton and the TBred B?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2003
    Other than a different core layout - "nothing"
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    There is also 2x L1 cache (128 instead of 64)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    Maybe the name has something to do with the GeForce FX video cards. AMD is trying to be like nVidia?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    No dan and shwaip is correct. More L1 cache from what I have heard.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    the tbred already has 128k L1 cache...actually...all AMD cpu's since the athlon was invented have had 128k L1 cache..

Duron 900...
    edited July 2003
    Thunderbird 1000...
    edited July 2003
    Palomino 1600+...
    edited July 2003
    1700+ Tbred A...
    edited July 2003
    and...

1700+ Tbred B....
    edited July 2003
    Hey FatCat, I realize that at your age it's difficult to think clearly sometimes because senility is starting to set in (j/k), but wouldn't it have been easier to just combine all those into one really long image? :D;D;D
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2003
    All K7 CPUs and their variants have 128K L1 cache (64K Instruction/64K Data). The Opterons also have 128K L1 cache.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    As I have read somewhere else on this, it would seem this is a case of AMD using a single manufacturing process.. and slinging the not quite up to grade CPU's in the "FX" bucket ;)

The name makes me cringe :mullet:
    edited July 2003
    shorty; but if what you say is right, at least the name is accurate. After all, aren't the GeForce FXes just Radeon 9800s that weren't up to par? :D;D
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    Hey FatCat, I realize that at your age it's difficult to think clearly sometimes because senility is starting to set in (j/k), but wouldn't it have been easier to just combine all those into one really long image? :D;D;D

:doh:yea it prolly would have....it was late as hell and i am old now days... ill try to improve on muh photoshop skillz this weekend:type: :thumbsup:

fc
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    But then they'd have to make it make obnoxious noises every time it booted... :rolleyes:

So, wth is the difference between the Thorton and the TBred B?

The difference is 400 mhz bus. No tbred is set at that at default as far as i know.
    If this cpu comes from the same wafer, i can bet a sour budweiser that a Thorton-Barton mod will soon be available in a forum near you.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    shorty; but if what you say is right, at least the name is accurate. After all, aren't the GeForce FXes just Radeon 9800s that weren't up to par? :D;D

GeForce FX 5900 Ultra > Any radeon

Sorry.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    GeForce FX 5900 Ultra > Any radeon

gag me with a hairdryer...
    edited July 2003
    The 5900 does not have the DDR2 RAM so it doesnt need the extremem cooling measures. Its a lil bit slower as well. It is better tho.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    It does require 2 slots though, correct?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    GHoosdum said
    It does require 2 slots though, correct?

Its not like most people are going to use PCI 1 anyway, and most nForce 2 boards don't even have the PCI 1 slot next to the AGP slot, they have it in the place PCI 2 is usually in.
    edited July 2003
    Yes it still does. I wouldnt use it anyway cause the AGP slot used the same IRQ as the first PCI slot.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The 5900 ultra is the 9800-beater that the 5800 should've been