Folding Milestone Design Contest!

2»

Comments

• VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    Thanks guys. One of these days I'm going to get proficient at this photochopping stuff. The '100,000' not being lined up is driving me nuts.

Yes, Spidey is once again doing his alternative lifestyle aerobics for the viewing pleasure (or intense disgust) of the general public.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    How about a refreshing drink for hitting a milestone?

The taglines for this one are endless...

"I'd like to teach the world to fold..."

"Have a cog and a smile"

"Fold adds life"

I have WAY too much free time.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Um, you should see my driver's license, real car registration, and one of my creditcards-- the numbers on those do not line up either-- the registration sometime, I might post, it is numbers with printbar white gap\dropout in them and it would be in the same place across all digits except they slope down to right. Actually, I like the imperfect numbers, reminds us of WHY we fold-- people are not perfect either, we have things that need fixing in our lives and bodies and minds.... :D

Perfect is how it hits home, for humans. Only thing is, I would call the card Folding Express.... j/k :D Thanks for a great graphic, Vicodin. Hang in there, and thanks for sharing this with us.... :D

Sdie Note: Actually, am at 31791 and counting, as to points right now. As of about 20:15 GMT on May 3 I was at 30208. So, about 2K a week is what that comes out to-- neat what two boxes can do for cancer research in 5.5 days while one is getting its HS gunk burned in right. The Prescott is now at 3 GHz and stable-- I think it is stable enough to start rocking now with steady production.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    (sheepish look washes over my face)

I actually tried to make it 'Folding Express' for about an hour. I couldn't find the right font.

(chuckle)
    edited May 2004
    Try this:

Type it in Avantgarde Blk or XBlk if you can find that or Futura XBLK BT and then save as a vector pic, by, if Photoshop does this easily, converting the text to curves. Now strip filling out. Now stretch to make it wider for each letter. Now save as as a type 89a transparent Gif. Lay the gif over card after you lay gold box over text now there, and you will need to use both words in graphic.

It's kinda picky, American Express had a custom font made for themselves, but you can get the feel of it with a stretched Avantgarde starting point and some vector morphing.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    I've noticed a few people hit this 100k mark within the last week.

...when are we going to decide on an award?

Fold on.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Revised:
    100k.jpg 167.5K
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I like it!!!!!
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    That looks great. Now that needs to have its own section in the folding section on the front page.
    edited May 2004
    I like it also, except for one thing-- Pharoahs were rulers, we fold for the good of all. We follow, but we are part of a team. In a sense, we are lead, and CSIMON's folding is awesome and an example, but he is a leader more than a ruler. I would just like this on the record, Pharoah works so long as this is said. If there were a change, it might be appropriate to use:

"Followers of The Great Example"

That acknowledges part of what a leader is, and CSIMON is indeed a leader in this respect as well as in others. A leader is an example, teacher, someone who has some of his methods copied.

Hail CSIMON, leader of the folding pack, Alpha folder of this team.... :D
    edited May 2004
    That looks great. Now that needs to have its own section in the folding section on the front page.

The goal to "be on the plaque" is a good one, but we have a whole area here for this:

Let's sticky the plaque thread, and maintain the plaque in that Stuck thread.... What say you all??? Then link to a "plaque thread" from folding part of front page....
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    Now put all the other members that just made 100k on there.
    edited May 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    Now put all the other members that just made 100k on there.
    Now I'm about to step on a bus to get to the airport for a jaunt to England as you might recall :P I spent my last bits of free time hacking that revision together as an example and greeting ~110 new members so I'll just hold off on updating it until a decision is made and I'm back ;)
    edited May 2004
    Bump? :scratch:
    edited May 2004
    I thought we had one already... The plaque.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    I actually think the plaque is TOO nice.

100k milestones are popping up quickly so something disposable like the Toaster might be better served.

Disposable like Fold-Cola!

(chuckle)

Fold On.
    edited May 2004
    Yeah... just before I get there.... I like something picked out in the next day... Then I can add that to my avatar...

Hurry up...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    If there are no objections, I suggest the following:

1) Kee... Russell's plaque will be enshrined in the Milestone forum as the permanent official acknowledgement of the 100,000 point milestone.

2) I will rotate the other submissions into the individual threads.

Thoughts? :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I like the plaque a lot. It's very formal. But the fold-cola thing is too sweet to pass up for a milestone award. I think the Fold-Cola should be the actual award, but people who reach 100K will definitely make it on the plaque.
    edited May 2004
    So... Which one should I replace the toaster on my Avatar? The Fold-Cola?
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited May 2004
    That was exactly what I was thinking. Even if it isn't the Fold-Cola, the plaque is just too damned nice.

It's like this sacred place of honor that should be displayed for all to see. Something a little more tongue-in-cheek for the actual award might make more sense.

C'mon, we give out a TOASTER for 50k.

A very nice toaster, might I add... but it's a TOASTER.

At the rate the cogs are piling up, we should start on the next level of award soon.

Fold on.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited June 2004
    Did we ever make a decision on the award?

I cleared out room in my trophy case for whichever one we give the nod to.

Fold on.
    edited June 2004
    Vicodin wrote:
    Did we ever make a decision on the award?...
    profdlp wrote:
    If there are no objections, I suggest the following:

1) Kee... Russell's plaque will be enshrined in the Milestone forum as the permanent official acknowledgement of the 100,000 point milestone.

2) I will rotate the other submissions into the individual threads.

Thoughts? :)
    Testing things out. :)
    edited June 2004
    Cool... where's my name? I'll be updating my avatar to reflect the new award.

I Like it....
    edited June 2004
    Hmmm... I better send prof the PSD :p
    edited June 2004
    Hmmm... I better send prof the PSD :p
    You're trusting me with your baby? :rolleyes:

I may need a few hints... :)
    edited July 2004
    Testing my update: