Toshiba 2450 Recovery

Miss-MandieMiss-Mandie Australia
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Heya All.

I have a Toshiba 2450. I bought it brand new about 4 months ago. I have the recovery disks but when i try to use it, i get the message "Wrong Machine, needs to be a 2450 (which it IS) etc etc".

When i changed the boot priority to boot to cd, hold down F12 as it states, go to the cd drive icon, it goes straight past my XP cd (seperate disk) and back into windows.

And as the machine doesnt have floppy i am kinda stuck!!

Could it be because i have partitioned the drive, therefore its now a CHANGED machine? thats the only difference with it.

I really need to clear my drive and start again ASAP.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    The procedure you took to make your machine boot from CD sounds correct. But are you saying that in the boot priority window/section there is a symbol for your CD drive and not text denoting such? I haven't seen symbols in BIOSes before.

You also mentioned an "XP CD". So, you have a separate Windows XP CD? If yes, we can probably get you out of your mess. Do you know how to perform a 'Repair' installation of Windows?

Before we get into that, please tell us what the problem is - why you chose to reinstall. Perhaps there's a more efficient way to address your needs.
  • Miss-MandieMiss-Mandie Australia
    edited April 2004
    With the Toshiba, when you hold F12 when powering up, it gives you an option screen with some icons, different boot options, not in the bios as such. But when you choose to boot to CD, unless the recovery Cd is in there, it wont read anything else. When the recovery cd is in there, its gives me a dos text screen saying WRONG MACHINE and goes to the a:\ prompt.

I have managed to reload XP (Seperate CD, not from recovery disk) but didnt format the machine. So, i know have none of the toshiba tools or drivers etc.

I would like to know how to format and boot from cd to do so. I have an extra partition with my backup on it (files and folders only), so there is nothing to loose by having to format.

Do you think that because i partitioned it, the recovery disks now wont work? as that is the only change i have made.

Is there anyway to use the recovery CD at all?

What i am frustrated at is i paid so much for this machine and its own recovery disks dont even work!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Although I don't know much (if anything) about laptops, if it's still under warranty, you can call for technical support.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    As for the software and drivers, http://209.167.114.38/support/Download/files_downloads/index/Satellite/s2450en.htm

-Edit-

Well since you can get the drivers, why not just do a fresh installaton (format and install) and download the drivers?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    There should be enough drivers in WinXP to run your laptop until you can procure the Toshiba-specific drivers from the Internet. If your WinXP disc is indeed a genuine Microsoft OS CD, you should be able to boot from it, format, and reinstall Windows. Also, I've done OS reinstallations on proprietary computers before. Most of the time, the special 'tools' that come with the computer are simply bloatware junk. You probably don't even need them. Alright, come to think of it, F12 in is used for boot order with most proprietary (off the shelf) systems. Will F2 let you in to the BIOS? Unless your BIOS is locked, you can set boot order in there, without Toshiba's proprietary software interfering.

If you can't get into the BIOS to change boot order, you still should be able to perform a clean Windows installation. Insert the CD when your system is booted into Windows; the CD will start itself. If not, look for the setup.exe file to manually start it.

Or better yet, try a "Repair" installation; that would preserve your Toshiba software. Once the installation has checked your software, you will get a prompt to Install, Repair (press 'R'), or (forgot the last option). Don't select Repair at this stage; 'R' takes you to the Recovery Console. Select "Install". The next screen will give you the option to perform a Repair Installation. Unless your OS presently is really, really screwed up, you should be able to perform the Repair Installation.

Hmm...have you run Scandisk on your OS partition? XP's Scandisk is very effective.
  • edited June 2005
    Heya All.

I have a Toshiba 2450. I bought it brand new about 4 months ago. I have the recovery disks but when i try to use it, i get the message "Wrong Machine, needs to be a 2450 (which it IS) etc etc".

When i changed the boot priority to boot to cd, hold down F12 as it states, go to the cd drive icon, it goes straight past my XP cd (seperate disk) and back into windows.

And as the machine doesnt have floppy i am kinda stuck!!

Could it be because i have partitioned the drive, therefore its now a CHANGED machine? thats the only difference with it.

I really need to clear my drive and start again ASAP.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

I just had this problem trying to recover the system for my friend an hour ago. I tried to find a solution on the Internet but there's no information related except this topic in the forum. I have tried almost anything: re-format the hard drives, delete the logical drive, change the file system to NTFS, etc...then boot from the recovery disc, Nothing worked but ..... If you access to the CD drive (the recovery discs) through DOS, you will find a folder called Base. Just run the file called OS.BAT => problem solved :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2005
    I got the fully recovered but there's still a problem. When I insert the recover disc, it still does not recognize the machine. So each time we want to recover the system, I guess we have to do it through DOS. Damn Toshiba. They make things more and more complicated. I have a Satellite Pro 6000, there's no problem with the recovery even I had divided the hard drive into 2 and installed Linux
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited June 2005
    I know someone who also had this problem. He called up Toshiba and apparently the string that identifies the model of the Toshiba laptop has been damaged. The only way to get that fixed is to send it back to Toshiba or a service center to get that fixed.

Most, if not all of the Toshiba utilities is downloadable from their support page.
  • auh2ocanauh2ocan Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2006
    I also had this problem a few months ago when my Windows registry was clobbered. Before I could rebuild my system, I had to create a bootable diskette using a package from Toshiba called 'DMI Reset' to initialize a setting on my laptop so that the Restore CD would recognize it as a Toshiba 2450. I can't remember exactly where I got it but, if you still have the problem, Toshiba Support may be pressed to supply a web address if you insist that getting help from an official Toshiba Repair site is very inconvenient.
  • edited August 2006
    May have jumped on this one a little late but my brother has just trashed his 2450 and has given it to me to sort out. I've tried most of the above but I've got the extra handicap of not having the recovery disks does anyone know where I can get my hands on them?