socket 370 motherboards what's the best

ScuffScuff Southwestern, Pennsylvania
edited February 2009 in Hardware
What's the best brands and models for socket 370 mobos?
Did they quit making these things?
What's the difference between ddr ram and sdram(technically speaking)?
What' a good board (370) for overclocking a 1000 mhz celeron (non tualitan)processor and how high can I get it to safely go without burning it up?

A lot of questions on not the most recent products.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    DDR is SDRAM that sends data twice per clock cycle while SDRAM only sends data once per clock cycle.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I've heard that DDR RAM on the P3 gives only a negligible performance boost, since the P3 never really was intended for it. Don't spend a whole lot of extra money on a DDR board, but you might as well get one if it's cheap.

I had a RDRAM board for the P3. Spent tons of cash for about a 0.5-1% increase in bandwidth. I'll never live that down. :banghead:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2004
  • edited April 2004
    I had an ASUS CUV4X-E with the Pro133 chipset and it was a sweet board, it had issues with A-Sound chipset powered sound cards for some odd reason but aside from that it was uber cool.
    I was running an 800mhz celly (coppermine cored) in it and I was getting 1100mhz out of it stable, I never pushed it beyond that though because I was worried about frying the chip from cranking the Vcore too high.
    If you can locate one of those boards it'd be a worthwhile investment.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2004
    I had a CUV4X-E board for a while (it's now in one of my dad's systems). Very nice board. The Pro266 is a better chipset though. Why? It supports DDR. Why should you care, since the P3 can't use the extra bandwidth provided by DDR? Go look at DDR prices, and then look at SDRAM prices. That's why. If you've got a choice between SDRAM (or RDRAM) and DDR, regardless of the platform, DDR is the best option, simply from a cost standpoint.
  • edited April 2004
    2 of the best socket 370 boards were the Abit ST6 and the Gigabyte GA-6OXET, but those boards are no longer in production. As far as overclocking a coppermine celeron, you will be lucky to get more than 1300 MHz out of it. Coppermines just won't go real high on overclocking.
  • edited April 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    I had a CUV4X-E board for a while (it's now in one of my dad's systems). Very nice board. The Pro266 is a better chipset though. Why? It supports DDR. Why should you care, since the P3 can't use the extra bandwidth provided by DDR? Go look at DDR prices, and then look at SDRAM prices. That's why. If you've got a choice between SDRAM (or RDRAM) and DDR, regardless of the platform, DDR is the best option, simply from a cost standpoint.
    Yeah unless you happen to have several sticks of PC133 laying about which some folks still do. One nice thing about using the Pro266 chipset (if you can find one as there were only a handfull of boards made with it) is that throwing in some PC2700 will allow you to push above 133fsb as far as you can and not have the memory be a factor.
  • edited April 2004
    i was bored and so i did some browsing this is all i could find:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42006&item=3475618775&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    You'll be lucky to clear 1100MHz on a Coppermine.
    Tualatin Celerons are $25 in Newegg Refurbs, why not help yourself?

If you're using SDRAM, I still can't recommend anything other than an i440BX board. The chipset will hit 150MHz with decent cooling, and with an Upgradeware Slot-T you can put Tualatin processors in it. You just need to be careful with what SDRAM you use. 256MB double-sided sticks are the biggest it'll take.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Lukan_CodaLukan_Coda Illinois
    edited February 2009
    ****** http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">****** name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.0 (Win32)">****** name="AUTHOR" content="Carol Polk">****** name="CREATED" content="20090203;15395450">****** name="CHANGED" content="16010101;0"><style> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style>
    madmat wrote:
    I had an ASUS CUV4X-E with the Pro133 chipset and it was a sweet board, it had issues with A-Sound chipset powered sound cards for some odd reason but aside from that it was uber cool. I was running an 800mhz celly (coppermine cored) in it and I was getting 1100mhz out of it stable, I never pushed it beyond that though because I was worried about frying the chip from cranking the Vcore too high.
    If you can locate one of those boards it'd be a worthwhile investment.

Would the ASUS CUV4X-E be a suitable replacement for a TriGem 011027 (Lomita)? The TriGem 011027seems to be a barely talked about motherboard (probably for a good reason) that HP used in some of the Pavilion series. In this case the board is in an HP Pavilion 512w Desktop PC. It ceased to function.

I read somewhere that the Trigem board is an eMachine make so the HP Pavilion I used all those years was really an eMachine in disguise. That explains alot about it's quirky behaviors and why customer support at HP seemed to be stifling a laugh when I called for any kind of product support.

What is a Pro133 chipset? Is this RAM or something already on the ASUS motherboard? What is recommended as a better processor to use in the ASUS CUV4X-E? Tiger Direct will not even deal with socket 370 boards and nobody seems to be selling them anymore except at eBay auctions. I am looking for any suggestion(s) as to what would be a suitable upgrade in the frame of an HP Pavilion 512w (sorry, not gonna toss it in the recycling bin). As far as I can tell, only a socket 370 motherboard will fit in this old beast without modifications. I hope I am wrong.

The bottom line is I intend to keep this machine working. Call it an aesthetic attachment to an outdated piece of technology. It will be kind of like putting a police interceptor engine in a 1955 Chevrolet and have the same effect. Nobody looking at it will know what's under the hood. Thanks for any consideration and experience any one can offer on this subject.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Lukan_Coda wrote:
    Would the ASUS CUV4X-E be a suitable replacement for a TriGem 011027 (Lomita)?
    No. The TriGem board is MicroATX form factor while the Asus board is ATX. The Asus board is about 3" too long to fit in your Pavilion's case.
    Lukan_Coda wrote:
    I read somewhere that the Trigem board is an eMachine make so the HP Pavilion I used all those years was really an eMachine in disguise. That explains alot about it's quirky behaviors and why customer support at HP seemed to be stifling a laugh when I called for any kind of product support.
    Those machines were infamous for being terrible. I have a friend that was given a similar Pavilion to yours a couple years ago and he threw it away: after hardware depreciation and computational power were factored in it literally wasn't worth the electricity it consumed.
    Lukan_Coda wrote:
    What is a Pro133 chipset?
    The Apollo Pro133 chipset is a mid-range Pentium III/Celeron II/III chipset from VIA. VIA makes (or rather made) low-price core logic for economy computers and motherboards. Motherboards based on the Pro133 are widely regarded to be quirky and borderline unstable. They were dirt cheap though.
    Lukan_Coda wrote:
    I am looking for any suggestion(s) as to what would be a suitable upgrade in the frame of an HP Pavilion 512w (sorry, not gonna toss it in the recycling bin). As far as I can tell, only a socket 370 motherboard will fit in this old beast without modifications. I hope I am wrong.

The bottom line is I intend to keep this machine working. Call it an aesthetic attachment to an outdated piece of technology. It will be kind of like putting a police interceptor engine in a 1955 Chevrolet and have the same effect. Nobody looking at it will know what's under the hood.
    I can understand that. There are a lot of sleeper computer projects around here (I have an IBM PC-AT with a late-model Pentium III in it). I'm going to go ahead and say this now though: the project you have in mind is going to be somewhere between somewhat more difficult and very much more difficult than building a new computer from scratch. In fact, it will be helpful to think of this project as less upgrading an existing computer and more gutting an HP case and building a new computer inside it. For most purposes upgrading a motherboard implies that the result is a new computer.

That aside, your case can physically accommodate any motherboard using the MicroATX form factor. Newegg and Tiger Direct have a wide selection of these boards. However, since you're using an HP case and they may not have adhered to the complete ATX specification (of which MicroATX is a subset) you need to check to make sure that HP included all the standard features:

* You need to check that the connectors going from the front panel power button and lights to the motherboard front panel connector use the standard 0.1" pin spacing and are clearly labeled.

* You need to check that the metal plate that goes around the edges of the motherboard connectors around where your keyboard, mouse, and printer plug in (called an I/O Shield) is removable. Nearly all new motherboards won't use the same shield and you need to be sure that the one that comes with your new motherboard will work with your case.

If either of these standards were not adhered to then your project will require some specialized tools and materials and difficulty goes up an order of magnitude.

In addition to the above, you will need to buy a new processor and memory to go with your new motherboard. I would recommend going with a Core2 Duo. You will also need a new power supply since the ATX power supply specification has been revised since your computer was manufactured. Antec EarthWatts ATX power supplies are a good choice for a power supply that will blend in well with the rest of your machine and deliver adequate performance. While you're at it, you might want to consider a new DVD burner (they're $20 these days) and possibly a new hard drive (drives over 5 years old are well over the hump on the failure bell curve.)

Also, you'll want to start a new thread on your project. Welcome to Icrontic!

-drasnor :fold: