S-M loads very slow.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited June 2004 in Community
This started yesterday.
I check email and get a few from S-M then ckick the link. IE starts up with a blank white page, at the bottom it says it's downloading the page then says done. If I refresh it or wait 15\20 seconds it loads the page. Once I'm at S-M all other pages load as normal, ie, quick, it's just the first instance of S-M that takes its time either through email links or favorites. All other sites load straight away. Is it me ?

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2004
    Not just yours, Bothered. Mine's a bit slow too. Not just with S-M, also checking stats at Folding@Home and Folding@Work. We are on 1.5M ADSL and it is normally quicker than it is now.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2004
    Mine is just with S-M. Just went to favorites and it took about 45 seconds to load the page. Then I come to feedback in 2 seconds.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2004
    Yep, it was doing the same for me too yesterday evening.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    We're working on it. Our humble little server is starting to show its limits with all the new members and traffic we have. We have a growing site, but not a growing server, unfortunately :(
    edited April 2004
    Ah, the price of fame. That's the best reason at least.
    This time I arrived quite quickly.
    edited May 2004
    Any news on a fix guys?
    I've just spent 2 or 3 minutes waiting to get on the forum, Two ie's going, one timed out with page cannot be displayed. It's a S-M thing for sure, everything else opens right away. It's definately getting worse.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    We have several glitches with our server.. that is simply load balanced... throws the server off big time :(

Trust us, we are working on it.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2004
    A fix is in the works...a big fix too. But it's going to take some time...estimated a couple of weeks...maybe more but it will be a fix. Or I'll get on a plane to Detroit with a sledgehammer and threaten the server in person.
    edited May 2004
    Silly impatient bothered. I knew that, really, deep in my soul, that it was in hand.
    If these guys were captain of the Titanic, it would have missed that iceburg.
    edited May 2004
    The server crashes pretty much consistently twice a day now. When it crashes, it's down for about 5-10 minutes. Getting it restarted is a two step process due to the nature of the crash and recovery process. Expect this to continue until we can get a more powerful server, which is something we are working on.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    If I have to donate money, I will. If I don't have to donate money, I will.
    edited May 2004
    ditto.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    I'll donate some as well. I know you guys dont want donations most of the time but this isnt going to be cheap.
    edited May 2004
    You know that if we needed donations, we'd ask.... Just click the ads, click the ads, click the ads.

That helps, believe me :)
    edited May 2004
    bothered wrote:
    Silly impatient bothered. I knew that, really, deep in my soul, that it was in hand.
    If these guys were captain of the Titanic, it would have missed that iceburg.

More like glanced off with only a few dints and a need of a paint job.
    edited May 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    I'll donate some as well. I know you guys dont want donations most of the time but this isnt going to be cheap.

We have some tricks up our sleeve(s). If the all the stars and planets align...all will be well.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited May 2004
    Erm.. am I going crazy? Did I dream posting in this thread? I swear I posted a little dig at Doug' ;) (if you excuse the pun). Did someone delete it? I don't ask because I care about the post, I ask 'cause I care if I've offended anyone? Doug'? :confused2
  • edited May 2004
    Is someone clearing out old posts to speed up the server?
    edited May 2004
    Spinner wrote:
    Erm.. am I going crazy?

Yes...yes you are.

rofl.

I never delete anything you have to say...I avert my eyes from your image...but I never delete.
    edited May 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    Yes...yes you are.

rofl.

I never delete anything you have to say...I avert my eyes from your image...but I never delete.
    Oh, okay, good. I think :eek3:. Take it then that I made some witty remark about keeping you away from Sarcnet, if only however, in my head. ;D
  • edited May 2004
    don't know if anyone else has noticed this but when i try and open thread the first post opens fine but then the rest lag like hell.... i am guessing it has something to do with signitures, do i have to turn them off to get rid of can there we like a size/content limit on them... thought it could also be the folding sigs.... but i don't know.
    edited May 2004
    -animal- wrote:
    i am guessing it has something to do with signitures, do i have to turn them off to get rid of can there we like a size/content limit on them...
    You can turn sig's off if you feel they are causing you browsing problems, and there is in fact now a size limit for sigs. It's about 250KB I think.

Nevertheless, if turning sig's off doesn't help, let us know and we'll help you figure out what's causing you problems.

Cheers :)
  • edited June 2004
    It appears that the SM forums are loading slowly again for me. All my other pages on other sites appear to load as normal. Not a gripe just notifying you guys. Are others experiencing this too or is it just me?

KingFish
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    KingFish wrote:
    It appears that the SM forums are loading slowly again for me. All my other pages on other sites appear to load as normal. Not a gripe just notifying you guys. Are others experiencing this too or is it just me?

KingFish
    Well we fixed the issue last time with it slowing down... so I wonder if it's reappearing ?

Il speak to the server maestro :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I haven't experienced any slowdowns in weeks.
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    We're officially checking into it, updates to follow.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Anything with armo's sig in in loads slowly for me.