New forum ideas.

metomeyametomeya New
edited April 2004 in Community
Hey first i just wanted to say that its great to find a forum that has such informed and intelligent people. And i'm happy to now have a new place to post my computer problems at.

I was just wondering if you guys ever plan on changing up the message board? The color scheme looks kinda tacky. I don't know something sleek and sharp looking would be cool, like black, and dark blue, black and red....just a suggestion.

Also are you guys ever gonna add some features like sorting threads by views and replies.

The forum i usually post at that i think has a really good look to it is

http://forums.devhardware.com/

Anyways just a suggestion, i hope you guys don't take it personally.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    See, I think that forum looks tacky. These are kind of the Short-Media colors. To me, they look crisp and clean. It's a nice simple scheme. Easy on the eyes, etc. I'm sure Dan and everyone values your opinion, so I'm not trying to be rude. I'd say drop Dan a PM, but he's backed up as it is. I believe there is a forum suggestions thread somewhere around here. Maybe post in that too. :)
  • edited April 2004
    I second trekky on this one. I really like the way the forums are set up here. They are way more organized than those I've seen elsewhere. The aqua colors are what define short media so I really doubt if those will be changed. Maybe it'll be allowed in the future to give the user the option to change the color schemes a little bit but I doubt there will be radical departures as I foresee short media sticking with the aqua color scheme for the most part.

KingFish
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Well seeing as I am the guy who put them together (including colour scheme).. Il answer this :)

The colour scheme will stay as it is for the moment. We have just launched a new front page with an updated design and now I can turn attention to the forums. These are the "Short-Media" colours parse.. but themes have always been a plan.

However, it's always the way that some will love a colour scheme and some will hate it. You can't please everyone.. ;) Every site needs a "look". This is our look, the majority of our members seem happy with it.. so what else can I say? :) Il try with different looks as we progress. Devhardware has been around a long time.. we are still only young.. we have time :)

In answer to your "sort by" question. That feature is already enabled. See the below image. Click on any of those at the top of a forum.. and you will have it sorted as requested :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    metomeya wrote:
    I was just wondering if you guys ever plan on changing up the message board? The color scheme looks kinda tacky. I don't know something sleek and sharp looking would be cool, like black, and dark blue, black and red....just a suggestion.
    It always takes a while to get to different color schemes. This forum is actually one of the easiest on my eyes from all the ones I visit.
    The forum i usually post at that i think has a really good look to it is

http://forums.devhardware.com/
    Err... not so much a fan of that, really. Neon green on brown with two or three shade of blue? The aqua theme looks a lot slicker to me. In anycase, as Dan mentioned, there are likely themes in the site's future.

//edit: Also note that that site uses the same forum software as us, so the only difference (layout-wise) is the color scheme, organization, and the cool hacks Dan has added.
  • edited April 2004
    i wouldn't mind doing short-media a theme if you wanted an alternative one...
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2004
    Metomeya

First...welcome to Short-Media. :)

Your input is welcome. Feedback, like you presented it, is very good. Everyone has their own opinion and yours is no less valuable than anyone else's. I think in a very short time you'll find these forums both friendly and knowledgable and soon you'll be showing our friends over at DEVHardware..."You guys should do it Short-Media's way" :)

Have a look around. Post your problems and help our a few members with what you know. Glad to have you here.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited April 2004
    Dan wrote:
    Well seeing as I am the guy who put them together (including colour scheme).. Il answer this :)

The colour scheme will stay as it is for the moment. We have just launched a new front page with an updated design and now I can turn attention to the forums. These are the "Short-Media" colours parse.. but themes have always been a plan.

However, it's always the way that some will love a colour scheme and some will hate it. You can't please everyone.. ;) Every site needs a "look". This is our look, the majority of our members seem happy with it.. so what else can I say? :) Il try with different looks as we progress. Devhardware has been around a long time.. we are still only young.. we have time :)

In answer to your "sort by" question. That feature is already enabled. See the below image. Click on any of those at the top of a forum.. and you will have it sorted as requested :)

First off, great work Dan! :)

Second, I can completely understand your post above Dan. As keeper of my forums and as self tought with little knowledge of html or codeing of any type I can say that this takes a ton of work.
    Not to mention that VB just released their new forums software and there are some new graphics and what not.
    Like Dan we plan/planed on having several different color schemes for people to choose from but each scheme has to be completey done from scratch. Point is that it takes even the savayist coders a bit to get things just right, add in work and life it makes it hard to get things done.

One of the great things about short-media is that there are excellent folks behind the scenes ready to lend a hand.

Not to mention that I know that Dan is never too busy to try and help others out with their boards...

All-n-all great work guys keep it up.

Of course constructive criticism is good too as it helps to know what the users would like to see. However, to truly be constructive you have to remain positive in your suggestions and not suggest that the current state is a negative thing like the word Tacky.

I think that it was kinda harsh to call it tacky... A person puts a lot of creative effort to come up with a design...

My $.02,
    "g"
    edited April 2004
    Speaking of which... check ya PM mate.. I still have somethings outstanding to do for ya that I haven't had chance before now ;)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2004
    Welcome metomeya,
    I think the colour scheme here is just right for my old watery eyes. It's like a newspaper, if your daily paper was green with red print (or whatever) you'd stop buying it. S-M is clear, easy on the eye, full of the most helpful polite people, (I've had people here phone me and send me stuff!) I know they say people don't like change but when it's right, it's right. It must be tacky, I'm stuck on it.
    And besides I've bought the tee shirt!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited April 2004
    metomeya:

First, welcome to Short-Media. Second... are you sure "tacky" is the right word? Tacky means "tastelessly showy"; I fail to see how this particular colour scheme matches that description. :-/

Regardless, I like it. :D It's quite understated, in fact, and it is far easier to read than say talknotebooks' forums (www.talknotebooks.com)...
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2004
    By the way, I was using tacky as in sticky. :)
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited April 2004
    Wow all these replies and they aren't calling me an idiot, or retarded for making comments like that about their forums.

Anyways I was thinking would you ever putting up skins that you can choose for the message boards?

I think www.AnimeMusicVideos.org is a really good example of this. I don't know how much programming it would take exactly, but its just a suggestion.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Metomeya: We strive very hard to be professional and mature here. You'll have a hard time finding flaming on this board :)

Eventually, it is a goal to have skins. But unfortunately, it's a low priority and our primary coder, Dan, is overworked as it is :)
    edited April 2004
    I do fully intend to implement themes with our upgrade to VB3 gold :)
  • edited April 2004
    That's awfully sweet Dan. You don't receive enough accolades for your hard work, so, thanks.

KingFish
  • edited April 2004
    one thing i have noticed is that things get well messed up at lower resolutions.... i am on a computer at the moment that has a resolution of 800x600 and the all the sizes seem to have got disjointed. Mainly because of the navbar beeing to big *see below* and also on the main page because of the advertising and the folding milestones being next to them. Same for the homepage aswell, you are to scroll right quite far just to see everything. I don't know how many people are still on that resolution so my problem might not really matter. I am not complaining or anything or saying you must change it but its just something to think about...
  • edited April 2004
    the navbar problem could be solved simple by putting things on new lines:

Welcome, -animal-.
    You last visited:
    Today at 08:29 AM
    Private Messages:
    Unread 0, Total 63

not sure about the advertising though
    edited April 2004
    800*600 .. who still uses that res ;D

I am aware of the limitations this style brings to the plate. I do have some low res themes being worked on though.. including a redirected to a WML formatted format that is readable and usuable on portable devices (such as a PDA/Smartphone) :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    My ridiculous school district does. :rolleyes:

I had to present United States common PC resolution data to convince them that I wasn't going to program their websites for 800x600.