Utilities Poll - Week 1

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
The S-M Utilities Discussion is now the Utilities Poll!

Your input will determine the programs chosen to bear the proud title "S-M Approved", so make sure to vote!

This week’s topic is Anti-Virus software. Please add your comments and opinions in this thread!

Prof

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Gotta be Norton. Much like Trojan, I wouldn't trust any other brand.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    I chose Trend Micro because it came free with my mobo. Not really had a problem with it so I can't complain.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I really don't know what to choose! Both Trend and Norton are great to me. I used Trend at my last job and it was amazing, easy to configure, and the Enterprise Ed. was just cool to use.

On one hand, I got Norton with my Motherboard, it has done it's job. But I have yet to ever get a virus or even a warning, harmful script, or even a quarantened item!

On the other hand, I still use Trend's Online Virus checker every week on top of the real time support from Norton. When I was still working at the IT job I had, Trend picked up things Norton could not find. It prevented wide spread panic in the networks and properties I managed becuase of the computer ignorant people who would sneak around in the computers to view things they shouldn't.

But another note I take into consideration system resources, nothing piss's me off worse than having to use a program that doesn't do anything but scan constantly and eat up resources when they can be put to use for gaming or other resource intense programs. At the same time I must keep it running becuase of that ever so SLIGHT chance of actually getting a virus.

McAffee comepletly sucks IMHO, I see many PC's with it running becuase it came with it, yet whenI do my scans I find all kinds of harmful crap.

Becuase I currently use Norton AV, I would have to vote for that as it appears to me that it uses the least system resources of all.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    I have both Norton and McAfee and Norton updates much more often.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Are any of these AV software packages for Linux, or are they all Windows utils? My Linux box currently has no anti-virus (come and get me!) so I guess you could say the "living on the edge" choice is for my Linux box...
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited July 2003
    I have had nothing but good experiences with Norton for the last 3 years or so
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    RWB said
    But another note I take into consideration system resources, nothing piss's me off worse than having to use a program that doesn't do anything but scan constantly and eat up resources when they can be put to use for gaming or other resource intense programs. At the same time I must keep it running becuase of that ever so SLIGHT chance of actually getting a virus.

McAffee comepletly sucks IMHO, I see many PC's with it running becuase it came with it, yet whenI do my scans I find all kinds of harmful crap.

True! Three or four years ago I received a complimentary copy of McAfee's Office Suite, similar in function to Norton System Works. I had a computer with a clean install of 98se (and nothing else) handy, so I tried a little experiment.

Choosing the default install options, System Resources went from 96% free to 65% free. Nearly 1/3 of the computers resources down the drain by installing one program. There was so much background junk running that you risked a "low memory" error if you tried doing anything.

I disable some of the Norton System Works stuff - but not in the Anti-Virus area.

Prof
  • edited July 2003
    I voted for Norton, though technically, as of ver 8, it's now Symantec Antivirus (at least with the corporate version.)
    edited July 2003
    GHoosdum said
    Are any of these AV software packages for Linux, or are they all Windows utils? My Linux box currently has no anti-virus (come and get me!) so I guess you could say the "living on the edge" choice is for my Linux box...

Now THAT is the kind of extra comment which will make the final article more interesting!

And thanks to all of you adding comments; the "why" is as important as the "what".:)

Prof
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Tried, Trend Micro, Mcafee and Norton so far, currently using Norton and will probably stick with it.

Mcafee just seemed really buggy and annoying when i used it last.

Trend Micro was nice but i ended up disliking the way it scanned email by taking over port 110, the update seemed to like to mess up and pretend i had no connection too.

Whereas norton seems to just get it right to me, no major problems with seemingly decent decent protection :)
    edited July 2003
    ...soon we'll have another A-V option!

Don't say you weren't warned.:banghead:

Prof
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Last I checked, Linux didn't have too many virus's running around. I really don't think Linux users have to worry yet about getting one ;)
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2003
    I vote Norton. I've been using it ever since I went on the internet. I don't have any trouble with it. I did have McAfee for a short period of time when I got my Compaq. It was a POS. I couldn't get it set up right to scan every file every time I had it to scan my computer. I like using AVG free edition for those who are too cheap to buy themselves an antivirus for basic protection.
    edited July 2003
    mcwc said
    I vote Norton. I've been using it ever since I went on the internet. I don't have any trouble with it. I did have McAfee for a short period of time when I got my Compaq. It was a POS. I couldn't get it set up right to scan every file every time I had it to scan my computer. I like using AVG free edition for those who are too cheap to buy themselves an antivirus for basic protection.

When I first upgraded to XPpro I was still using Norton System Works 2001, which wouldn't work with XP. Until I was able to upgrade Norton to a later version, I used the free version of AVG and liked it very much. I even felt a little guilty switching back, as AVG is a nice program and you can't beat the price!

Prof
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    I hate hate hate hate hate hate (just continue that thought out to infinity for me, ok?) virus scanning software. The performance hit is more than I can handle. Of course, it's not like it matters. I end up reloading WinXP once (or twice, maybe 3, 4, even 5 or more) times per month per computer, so anything I get doesn't last long anyhow. To the best of my knowledge, I've never had one anyhow...
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    I hate hate hate hate hate hate (just continue that thought out to infinity for me, ok?) virus scanning software. The performance hit is more than I can handle. Of course, it's not like it matters. I end up reloading WinXP once (or twice, maybe 3, 4, even 5 or more) times per month per computer, so anything I get doesn't last long anyhow. To the best of my knowledge, I've never had one anyhow...

You're crazy!;)

I have always used Norton, great piece of software. I love it so much I always buy the latest version every year when it comes out. McAfee I just hate, I can't tell you how many PC's I've seen that have been messed up be style by some of their software. I pratically had to purge the registry manualy on one 98 box, all because the bloody uninstall feature wouldn't work.

Symantec all the way for me.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2003
    i use AVG for worms and email scanning and norton for everything else ;) i like the protection, AVG can spot a propogating worn instantly whare notron takes a while to spot them
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    AVG for me as well.

1. It's free. As in no money required.

2. Updates are automatic.

3. Full scan once a day.

What more do you want? But, the best AV software is your own mind. Don't do stoopid things on your PC, and chances are you'll be virus free. I ran w/o AV for quite awhile (then ran NAV with a year old definition file) and never got hit. I wish the same could be said for the PC's of the relatives!!! :)
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2003
    I dont normally run an antivirus utility because i dont want them stealing my precious system resources. Whenever i feel as if i might have some sort of virus i just install avg and run it once. Once it's done checking/ cleaning i just unistall it.

I'm not a fan of norton simply because its way too bloated, it puts too much crap in my registries, and it is a system resource hog.

So far the combo of avg + spybot seems to keep my system clean, as well as not downloading crap, not allowing anyone on my computer, and being smart when downloading files in kazaa.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    I'm a Frisk man myself (I voted for other). Firstly f-prot for Dos cough...cough. I have saved a few 98 machines with it. Sweet if you can only get to DOS A:\ and free! F-secure is great. I don't have it running in the background but I update practically every day (Easy) and anything that I download, I greet the suka head on. I also run periodic full scans with both programs. And f-prot for Dos is great for (And once again he says...) standalone Daws:buck:

Look here:

http://www.f-prot.com/products/corporate_users/unix/linux/workstations.html
    Last I checked, Linux didn't have too many virus's running around. I really don't think Linux users have to worry yet about getting one

Yeah but just think of what a virus it would be if someone really wants it bad enough...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    I like Norton Antivirus. The best version is Norton Antivirus corporate v7.6 - no expiration of program or license.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    AVG as and when I need it. Living dangerously? Depends..

I prefer to say Im a practioner of "safe internet practise" ;)
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    I prefer to say Im a practioner of "safe internet practise"

That's a big friggin' piece of latex my friend!:respect:
  • MorpheusMorpheus RPI, Troy, NY
    edited July 2003
    danball1976 said
    I like Norton Antivirus. The best version is Norton Antivirus corporate v7.6 - no expiration of program or license.
    Agree, 110%. Been using it for years; I get it for free through my college. I hate all the other NAV's I've seen, like NAV 2002 or other home-type products they publish; thing that require renewals and all sorts of money-stealing ideas.

So yea, NAV Corporate is great, but I don't like most other Norton products. If I didn't have it, I would probably "live on the edge" and scan something when I need to. If you've used the Internet and computers for long enough you usually know where viruses come from and what they do to your system (and hence also how to clean them).
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    No virus protection for me!

I don't use Outlook.
    I don't use IIS.
    I don't use IE.

I have visitied http://housecall.antivirus.com a few times *JUST* to check, but nothing, nada!

I agree with Geeky1 that the performance hit is more than I am willing to tolerate.

(I am talking about my personal computers. If I were not in control of downloads and installed software, e-mails, web-pages, servers, etc (like in a corporate environment) then I would force anti-virus protection on the servers and workstations. Of the anti-virus software I've used, I'd say that TrendMicro has the nicest setup I've seen and makes administering the anti-virus programs on the workstations very simple.)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    MERRICK said
    I prefer to say Im a practioner of "safe internet practise"

That's a big friggin' piece of latex my friend!:respect:

Acute paranoia ;D;D
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2003
    I prefer to live on the edge... That edge being never installing a program I don't trust period end of sentance. Oh yeah, and not having Outlook on my computer. I also use alternative browsers like Mozilla Firebird and Opera to surf "untrustworthy" websites. The last virus I had was in 1993 when I first got my computer, and it didn't do anything other than pop up a virus, so I'm not even sure it was a virus.

Ya'll may be interested in these antivirus tests:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/index.xml

http://www.av-test.org/sites/tests.php3?lang=en

No AV software is 100% all the time, so sometimes the results are the luck of the draw, but it's worth noting. You may also find some good Linux AV packages by going through these lists.

But if I had to choose, free is good, so I'd choose AVG... maybe I'll download it now and stop living so dangeriously. Remember, each time you install a program, you're installing every... no wait, that analogy doesn't work.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    Okay people, your week of voting and discussion is up. Time to move on to the next topic. Thanks to all of you for voting and posting your thoughts.

SPINNER

Week 2 is here:
    http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1548
This discussion has been closed.