A taste of Detroit

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Community
Perhaps the locals can help me out here, but I'm interested in giving the outsiders a taste of things that are unique to our area.

One thing for sure is Vernors ;D

We will be making one group trip to the Original Pancake House - the ultimate breakfast destination.

Many people have mentioned White Castle as well.....

Faygo pop is another detroit thing.

Can anybody think of anything else?

I've heard nasty rumors that there are people in the world who don't know what Coneys are... Can this be true? I know the New York crew and anybody from Chicago will know what I mean, but I've heard.... well, let's just hope it's not true.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Better made chips!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Well I just confirmed it - the rumors are true.

If you have no idea what a coney is, please tell me....

:( what a tragic waste....
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited April 2004
    We've got Faygo and White Castle. Coney hot dogs?
  • edited April 2004
    Coney hot dogs?

This calls for a trip to Leo's... same day as the OHOP expirence?

Good Detroit pizza is important. Tom, Brian, and I have discussed this before. I think a place in Lansing has the best pizza, and I may even be crazy enough to drive all the way out there to pick up a frozen "just bake" pie (or 10) and take them to the LAN.

Then there's Pizza Popalis (sp?). It's expensive, but filling and ****ing awesome.

That Green Lantern place by the Sarcnet office isn't too bad either.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I live in NY, I've been to Coney Island, I've eaten at the Nathan's down there, I've even ridden the Cyclone, but I have no idea WTH a coney is. :confused2
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited April 2004
    Ditto! What is a Coney?!

I take it that its a hot dog of some sort...?

Looks like we will be eating ALOT when we aren't gaming haha
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited April 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    This calls for a trip to Leo's... same day as the OHOP expirence?

Leos? WTF are you thinking? LEO'S!?? Prime...you're closer, Smack the youngin' and the proceed to tell him the great stories of humanity that Lafayette can bring.

I'll start. Lets say, you close out a bar.....its 2:30 ish....and you've got the drunk munchies. What are you gonna do?!? You've got a car full of people teetering in and out of consciousness. I'll tell you what you do, you go to Lafayette Coney Island, and walk in a stranger amongst many. Here, everyone is equal, theres suits/mink coats getting out of the opera, theres bums with $1.25 in pennies, and then theres approximately 800 drunk people. Nobody cares who they sit next to. I've shared booths with Omar the tent maker and Tron, the friendly dealer. It doesn't matter. The workers there are straight out of the saturday night live 'Cheeseburger' skit. You order your food, and get it literally within 30 seconds...piping hot. You devour it within another 45 seconds and pay the B.O. laiden staff in whatever currency you have...canadian or american....and you're off...a stomach full of booze, hot dogs, cheese, and chili. The next morning you take the most relieving dump of your life....and you praise the good fellows at Lafayette.

....and you suggested Leo's.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    As a New Yorker, I am shocked and appalled that an eatery outside of New York, nay, Brooklyn, has the audacity to use "Coney Island" in its name. It's as offensive as if I were to open a restaurant in New York and call it "Detroit Rock City" or "The Red Wing Bar."
    edited April 2004
    Oh shut up. ;-)
    edited April 2004
    :grumble:
    edited April 2004
    McBain wrote:
    Leos? WTF are you thinking? LEO'S!?? Prime...you're closer, Smack the youngin' and the proceed to tell him the great stories of humanity that Lafayette can bring.
    You have to forgive him, he knows not what he speaks of... He's not even a native... He's from Buffalo.... :rolleyes:

No, TheSMJ - Leo's is not a valid coney restaurant. It's just a dumb diner.

It's either Lafayette's or nothing.
    edited April 2004
    You have to forgive him, he knows not what he speaks of... He's not even a native... He's from Buffalo.... :rolleyes:

Go eat your spicy buffalo wings you HOSER!!!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2004
    Okay, I have no idea what a Coney is. I have had Faygo though one time. I guess us southern people aren't used to all this "city town" stuff. I will go anywhere to eat though, you guys do have sweet tea right? I went to Florida and no places had sweet tea to drink, now that was tragic.
    edited April 2004
    Sweet tea - isn't that regular tea with like 1/2 lb of sugar in it? The only sweet tea I know of around here is Thai iced tea at Thai restaurants.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2004
    You are right prime. I guess I am spoiled from being down here my whole life. Sweet tea is like a must and dinner, I mean cola is good, but sweet tea just tops it off. Not everyone can make good sweet tea though, or well not like grandma and mom can. When I was in Florida, I had to take sugar packets and make my tea before eating. But I'm very interested in seeing how the Detroit life is like, as far as eating and all. I'm counting down the days.
    edited April 2004
    Life in Detroit is lazy and gluttonous. Its fantastic.
  • edited April 2004
    McBain wrote:
    Go eat your spicy buffalo wings you HOSER!!!

Dude.. I could bore the **** out of you by going on and on about chicken (AKA "Buffalo") wings...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Clutch wrote:
    Okay, I have no idea what a Coney is. I have had Faygo though one time. I guess us southern people aren't used to all this "city town" stuff. I will go anywhere to eat though, you guys do have sweet tea right? I went to Florida and no places had sweet tea to drink, now that was tragic.

McBain will appreciate this....

Sweet tea?? Ya'll want some sweet tea? How bout some sweet tea? You want some sweet tea?? Ya'll want some more sweet te....

NO I DON'T WANT ANY SWEET TEA!!
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    McBain wrote:

I'll start. Lets say, you close out a bar.....its 2:30 ish....and you've got the drunk munchies. What are you gonna do?!? You've got a car full of people teetering in and out of consciousness. I'll tell you what you do, you go to Lafayette Coney Island, and walk in a stranger amongst many. Here, everyone is equal, theres suits/mink coats getting out of the opera, theres bums with $1.25 in pennies, and then theres approximately 800 drunk people. Nobody cares who they sit next to. I've shared booths with Omar the tent maker and Tron, the friendly dealer. It doesn't matter. The workers there are straight out of the saturday night live 'Cheeseburger' skit. You order your food, and get it literally within 30 seconds...piping hot. You devour it within another 45 seconds and pay the B.O. laiden staff in whatever currency you have...canadian or american....and you're off...a stomach full of booze, hot dogs, cheese, and chili. The next morning you take the most relieving dump of your life....and you praise the good fellows at Lafayette.

....and you suggested Leo's.

Ahhh, but you can't leave out the occasional skinny kid changing the tire on a Capri out front with a rather large chested blonde on his arm!! :)
    edited April 2004
    pseudonym wrote:
    McBain will appreciate this....

Sweet tea?? Ya'll want some sweet tea? How bout some sweet tea? You want some sweet tea?? Ya'll want some more sweet te....

NO I DON'T WANT ANY SWEET TEA!!

Ahhh-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhhaahahhahahhahahaha...that skit is hilarious.
    pseudonym wrote:
    Ahhh, but you can't leave out the occasional skinny kid changing the tire on a Capri out front with a rather large chested blonde on his arm!! :)

She was a FAKE blonde....with creepers......GROOOOOSS!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    I'm from Cincinnati and I definitely know what a cheese coney is... We have two awesome coney places in Gold Star Chili and Skyline Chili. Of course I've been told by non-natives that "Cincinnati" chili isn't real chili but oh well.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    Yeah some of the stuff you guys are talking about is just Detroit only. Heck we have Verners down here and since the original post about it, Aranyic has been drinking it all the time. I have also heard of coneys as well.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited April 2004
    Yeah I think you guys need to get out of Detroit and explore the world. :rolleyes: Crazy Michigan folk. We have White Castle's, Coney Dogs, and Faygo here in Ohio. Still havn't had a White Castle but I've heard that I shouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. heh heh.

Norge
    edited April 2004
    Ah, but all those things are from HERE! OHIO RIPPED THEM OFF!

just like ohio took Toledo away from us.... :grumble:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, Norge, stay away from the white castle if you want your friends to survive... the intestinal blowouts CrazyJoe can produce have been known to cause gale-force winds of stench.

I live in Cincy right now and I'm apalled by the thought that you can call cinnamon-spiced-meat-gruel 'chili' - I lived out West and down South, and I KNOW what real chili is.

I also lived in New Jersey for my young years, so nothing is really pizza to me if it doesn't have thin-but-not-crispy-crust slices as big as your head that you have to fold in half and drain off the grease, then since the cheese is as thick as the crust, you pull it apart when it stretches as you take each bite, then pile the excess back onto the slice for the next bite. That pizza is just the grandest. I've been away from real Jersey pizza for so long, the last time I visited Jersey, the pizza gave me the runs because my poor deprived body couldn't take the divine goodness.
    edited April 2004
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Yeah, Norge, stay away from the white castle if you want your friends to survive... the intestinal blowouts CrazyJoe can produce have been known to cause gale-force winds of stench.

Hee hee hee... I'm eating my special German Casserole as I type... Polish Sausage, Saurkraut and Mashed Potatoes... Yummy!!
    edited April 2004
    I'm NOT visiting your place tonight, d00d.
    edited April 2004
    German casserole! ;D

Coming from a highly polish family, I can appreciate your taste in cuisine :D
    edited April 2004
    You might think it sounds good now, prime, but wait until everyone at the LAN gets to experience the true sound and, um, rather exuberant smell of Joe's German Asserole...
    edited April 2004
    Ah... Yum yum... I had to substitute Polish Sausage for German since that's alot harder to get... :) Poland's just an Eastern province of Germany anyway right? J/K