Documenting the SM LAN

oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
edited May 2004 in Community
Hey everyone,

Has anyone established whether someone will be documenting (comments, updates, photos, etc...) the SM LAN for the non-attendees?

In a previous post I discussed documenting it too my own blog but felt that others might be interested as well.

If folks think this is something they would be interested in, I propose the following:

I could setup a specific SM LAN web log (using MovableType) and provide all of the attendees with author access to post whatever they would like. I could host the site with the url being something like smlan.ocomik.net.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
www.ocomik.net/blog/index.html

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    That would be interesting I would think.

How hard/feasible would it be to set up a live feed?
  • oCoMiKoCoMiK Oswego, IL
    edited May 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    That would be interesting I would think.

How hard/feasible would it be to set up a live feed?

If you mean live feed as it relates to streaming video that would be a problem. But for setting up an interactive environment where participants and non-participants can share information, it is a very reliable solution.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Incredible idea. But let's make it one bit better - we can host the blog right here. smlan.short-media.com, anyone? Can anyone recommend some free and easy blogging software for the server?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    That'd be neat. :)

Everyone writing about their experiences as they see it. :D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I can do one that integrates with the site :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Incredible idea. But let's make it one bit better - we can host the blog right here. smlan.short-media.com, anyone? Can anyone recommend some free and easy blogging software for the server?
    There's Slash, which is /.'s system.
    b2 has a good reputation, and it's relatively easy to set up. I've set it up for a few people, myself included.
    If you want to go the Perl route, we could use Movable Type.
    edited May 2004

I would recommend MovableType as it is the software I'm most familiar with. It does require Perl and MySQL (not required but works the best IMO) on the server but is fairly straight forward to get going.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    Great idea. Dan get to writing some code, ;) haha

This will be neat for the people not at the lan to get a little feel of what it is like. And maybe we can post pictures as the days go and post? I will have all the software and all for uploading from my digi cam, as well many others probably.
    edited May 2004
    Well my thought was.. all those who are going are allowed access to this forum.. so theoretically.. every member who goes can have their own blog. Those who aren't going will just be able to read them ;)
    edited May 2004
    Dan wrote:
    Well my thought was.. all those who are going are allowed access to this forum.. so theoretically.. every member who goes can have their own blog. Those who aren't going will just be able to read them ;)

Dan,

With all due respect, don't you lose the interaction piece if all they can do is just read the posts? I believe the audience should have the capability to provide feedback. It would make the medium much more interesting IMO.

Once again I'm happy to host the blog on my site and make it available to everyone. Attendees will have the ability to create content and all others will have the ability to comment. It would be one blog and thus a single document of the SM LAN experience.

Thoughts?

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited May 2004
    I was thinking about a streaming webcam, but considering the connection *cough* bandwidth will be at a premium. I'm definately bringing up my digital camera, 256 SD card can hold alotta pics. And I'm a real shutter bug.
    edited May 2004
    oCoMiK wrote:
    Dan,

With all due respect, don't you lose the interaction piece if all they can do is just read the posts? I believe the audience should have the capability to provide feedback. It would make the medium much more interesting IMO.

Once again I'm happy to host the blog on my site and make it available to everyone. Attendees will have the ability to create content and all others will have the ability to comment. It would be one blog and thus a single document of the SM LAN experience.

Thoughts?

Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
    Nope :)

I was planning to integrate the same level of Vbulletin integration that is with the frontpage :)

I've already built the core framework...

So those attending can have individual blogs.. and just update/add entries as they wish.. full BBcode parsing.. and an image uploader ;)

Everyone who is registered with the forums ... can leave comments on each entry :)

There will a "general" blog as well.. which anyone attending can post on.. and if it's desired.. ANYONE can comment in .. just one long running blog entry..

Provides both security and flexibility. I should have a public beta by Sunday night :cool:
    edited May 2004
    Dan wrote:
    Nope :)

I was planning to integrate the same level of Vbulletin integration that is with the frontpage :)

I've already built the core framework...

So those attending can have individual blogs.. and just update/add entries as they wish.. full BBcode parsing.. and an image uploader ;)

Everyone who is registered with the forums ... can leave comments on each entry :)

There will a "general" blog as well.. which anyone attending can post on.. and if it's desired.. ANYONE can comment in .. just one long running blog entry..

Provides both security and flexibility. I should have a public beta by Sunday night :cool:

Dan,

I received early word that you were knocking something out. I look forward to taking it for a spin. Thanks for all the hard work. It should really go along way in making the SM LAN available to all ShortMedians.

Thanks again...
    Ocomik

www.ocomik.net
    edited May 2004
    Got 75% of the code done today :)

Just got edit/delete comments and admin controls to implement. Be able to show it off tomorrow or Tuesday (depending on my real-life workload).

:)
  • edited May 2004
    I have some streaming webcam software and an available webcam.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Keep this in mind:

384K total bandwidth -- slow DSL.. Streaming webcam probably will not perform well. With 30+ people there, inevetably somebody will be downloading something at some point, and bandwidth will probably suck.
    edited May 2004
    Il be uploading the blog software tonight :)