sorry it took so long to post this ...THANK YOU!!

Dexter, Shwaip and everyone else who took the time to help this rookie user.. omegasearch is dead, my browser is safer and this site is incredible!!! You people are absolutely amazing... I don't know how you find the time, but thank you very much. :celebrate

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    beeski wrote:
    Dexter, Shwaip and everyone else who took the time to help this rookie user.. omegasearch is dead, my browser is safer and this site is incredible!!! You people are absolutely amazing... I don't know how you find the time, but thank you very much. :celebrate

Dexter and Schwaip and prime and others like to know how to fight malware. One way to build this kind of rep is to research heavily and if we can help others while learning things that in fact we can make a living doing, so much the better. That was one reson I suggested many months ago to at least one admin here that we needed this forum. Funny thing is, you learn a lot while helping, if you are somewhat serious about helping and know the reciprocal benefits in helping really fix things. And good security pros can learn ways to detect and prevent as well as remove things by studying real cases of malware infection.... And that skill set is in demand commerically....

This site is becoming a dynamic and synergistic site that talks about most of the whole map of computer IT-- and works at advanced and novice level to dynamically discuss IT in all its aspects. That will stand the sponsors good in the long run. A site has synergy when the surface things are almost peer-modded for the most part, so the admins can take most of their time and handle the undergirdings while having soem time to participate and enjoy the virtual community's cooperative creation. Synergy also implies coiperation between the majority of users and the sponsors, where that does not lead to too much ads and puffery. It is a fine line in the sand to watch so as not to cross it into IT parochialism that limits growth.

One trick that novice users can use to ask questions that are not really stupid if they result in learning, is to ask why about specific problems they have, and this is happening. To keep this synergy going, we need to be very careful about telling people they are asking dumb questions... In fact, I would make that one of the rules, because most of us here did dumb things that even we think are dumb in retrospect. Laugh at situation, not person.... Just as fun and you learn more REAL things without messes due to personality conflicts.... The many dupes should and can form the outline for a living and dynamic knowledge base reference of IT. A living encyclopedia, if you will. That is my underlying motive here....

BTW, if you want to see something absolutely amazing, Google some of the topics that we discuss heavily... You will be astounded at how much detailed post refs show up on Google that have http://www.short-media.com/ in the links and how fast the number of those is climbing. With some of the security topics, we are getting top or close to top hit results now. Synergy, one side benefit of....

Admins, this is what happens to a site that has reached dynamic critical mass.... And SHOULD happen....

Now, if Google would only reward the best sites with free Intragoogle appliances in return for being able to data capture the public part sof the intranet of this site as far as public content.... :D We would get a searhc index local to site out of tis, that is run by google code, and is not loading the server for searching load.... And get the Google folks data and deload our web feed server as far as searching.... If Dan and keebs and others can link this kind of thing in.... :D We have th epotential for one of those boxes.... Hint, admins, talk to the Google admins, see if they would like a Google-appliance-presorted remote site index for our site, that is automatically updated without needing spiders to make it, just secure remote pickup facilities....

John D.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Now beeski, don't be a stranger 'round these parts. Just because your Omegasearch problem has been nipped in the bud doesn't mean you can't stick around here to learn more or impart knowledge. We've got a great crew here, knowledgeable and friendly, and we've got a top ten Folding@Home team.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    Beeski,

no problem, we are glad to help :) And John is correct, there is an ongoing learning curve to all this stuff. The users who have been actively helping in this forum PM each other items often to point out new things we have learned, to indicate that they have found references that show that some unknown items in HJT logs that are safe , etc. As one of our Mods here, Mondi, said a while ago..."it's like a treasure hunt." :)

Hope you stick around SM, we have lots of knowledgeable users in many areas, and we have one of the top Folding For a Cure teams in the world (see the links in my sig for info on how you can be part of that effort!) Oh, and we have have some pretty interesting threads in the Short-Media Pub ;)

Dexter...
  • edited May 2004
    Yeah Beesky, stay around and post with us. I'm no expert by any means on these BHO's and trojans and stuff, but I'm learning a lot by seeing what the experts here are calling bad in these Hijack This! logs everyone is posting. You are never too old to learn something new and I'm darn sure learning a lot on this from these guys. :thumbsup: