Where to learn MS Access?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I'm trying to teach myself Access XP because I need to create a database, and Excel just can't do what I want it to do. Unfortunately, I'm not making a great deal of progress... anyone got any suggestions on how to learn Access XP?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    trying to make a database or what?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    Yup; I'm trying to make a database containing the specs. of all the computers @ my grandfather's company...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    1. Create a table in Design view... give each field a name and data type.
    2. Create a primary key (PK). You can use one of your fields or make a new field that is autonumbered if none of the others will suffice. The primary key must be unique data for each record. For instance, if there are unique computer IDs, that would be perfect for PK.
    3. Go in to the table in Datasheet view and enter all the info.
    4. Post back or PM me when you need to query the database.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Maybe a book? MS Access for Dummies... Teach yourself MS Access Visually (Don't know if that one exists)... MS Access Inside Out... Just some thoughts. :)
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited July 2003
    how about you create a database with a wizard and then go through all the different areas to see how things are done.
    Thats how I started, now I write full relational databases, with queries and reports etc...

Or save yourself alot of work and buy Track IT from blueocean..
    http://www.blueocean.com/default.asp

Tek
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited July 2003
    track IT will allow you inventory your machines an create a database with more information on a pc then you though there was... Including depreciation schedules and full hardware info, user assignments etc...

Tek
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    Ghoosdum; Thanks. However, I'd like to create a form for inputting the stuff; That's easy enough- just use the wizard. One problem: The text boxes have character limits on them, and I need to type more than they'll let me in some cases. Any way of getting around that?

Tek; Thanks, I'll give that a try (both of 'em)
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003