Omega Says "Goodbye" To NVidia Driver Creation

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Omega Says "Goodbye" To NVidia Driver Creation

Omega, the head architect behind the "Omega" line of drivers for both ATI & NVidia based graphics adapters, has said goodbye to NVidia and will immediately cease any and all development on updated quality drivers for NVidia-based graphics boards.

The following is a press release from Omega's website, www.omegacorner.com

Well, as most of you have heard by now, I will not be releasing any more Omega drivers for nvidia cards. I know this must come as a surprise for many since there are a lot of people who trust my work and know that I'm doing all of this to help people. This is what REALLY happened:
I received an E-Mail from nvidia on June 17, it was from one of their attorneys, and he wanted to speak with me personally on the phone. The mail seemed friendly, but since it was coming from the nvidia law offices, I was worried of some kind of lawsuit because of my work. I called him after reading the mail, and he greeted me in a friendly tone, so my nerves started to calm down as soon as he told me that he only wanted to ask me a few questions. He started by telling me that many people filled complaints at nvidia because my drivers where "damaging" PCs and that people thought my drivers where approved by them since I had the nvidia logo on my page, so I corrected him and told him that I have a very clear statement on my page and in the driver installation that warned users about the drivers, that they where not supported by nvidia in any way and in case of problems contact me directly or through the forums. Then he told me that what I was doing was illegal, that I can't reverse engineer their drivers, because it was in the license agreement, so I explained to him that I never did that, that I use registry tweaks and dll swaps to make the drivers work like I wanted, then I used settings and patch scripts that are freely available in tweakers like RivaTuner, plus I add some others that are of my own creation, like the custom resolutions and DirectX optimizations, and at the end I just packed all that work in one simple installer and distributed it freely on the internet. After my explanation the only thing he had against me was the nvidia logo on my page, so he told me that I must remove it immediately because people would get confused an think that my drivers are official nvidia drivers, so I told him that there is no problem, the logo will go. He thanks me and asks my phone number because they will be contacting me again, so I gave him my number and thank him for his time.
After that I removed the logo and didn't heard from them again, I was gonna continue to make the drivers, but had my doubts...

Then, just a few days ago, I got an E-Mail from Zardon telling me that nvidia E-Mailed him about my drivers, and told him to REMOVE THE DRIVERS FROM DRIVERHEAVEN...
Now that does it! One thing is contacting me about my drivers and asking me to stop working on them, another is to force websites to take down the drivers which they host as a favor to the community.
Right now I'm really pissed of at nvidia for that thing alone, first the cheats, then buying Futuremark's statement and now, Take down 3rd party sets that help them by making their customers happy? What's wrong with them!? They think money can buy anything?
They are in the wrong track, they just want to cover all that bad press that they have been receiving lately by buying trust, but TRUST is not something they can buy, is something they must EARN! Gamers know that, they are no fools, maybe they can convince some old guy sitting in a president chair about it, showing him big numbers in synthetic benchmarks and showing their financial year gains, but they can't fool US:

WE are the ones that buy their cards.
WE are the ones that play the games.
WE are the ones that support each other in forums when something goes wrong.
WE are the ones that make their hardware reviews.
WE are the ones that they should listen.
WE are the ONLY ones, that can make a difference...

See ya! nvidia....

Source: Rage3D Forums

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Wow, I wonder how much that hurts nVidia? This move didn't help them in the slightest.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    I've never even heard of Omega, and that website is down.

//edit//
    Its www.omegacorner.com (no s next to the a.)
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    What's NVidia?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The company that produces a faster card than the Radeon 9800 Pro.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak said
    What's NVidia?

I hope you're kidding... :eek2:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    Thrax... do you know of any benchmarks on actual, shipping versions of the 5900 ultra? I've only seen one or two, and I'm trying to decide btw. it and the 9800 Pro 256...
    edited July 2003
    I think the 9800 Pro 256MB card doesn't utilize but 128MB due to driver limitations. If that's true, then shortly the 9800 will have a nice boost in some situations.
    Thrax said

Of course I am! :D
    SimGuy said

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    Really forget about NVidia, they have proved how much bad managment they have, now say hello to ATI. I do not say this because I am an ATI fanboy, I AM NOT, I am acutally using an geforce card right now, and very disapointing geforce card. Next card I get is ATI.
    edited July 2003
    Slick said
    Really forget about NVidia, they have proved how much bad managment they have, now say hello to ATI. I do not say this because I am an ATI fanboy, I AM NOT, I am acutally using an geforce card right now, and very disapointing geforce card. Next card I get is ATI.

fanboy! just kidding!

This is my next card :D
  • emptyempty houston
    edited July 2003
    lol so oldschool =X
    edited July 2003
    I think that picture is hilarious!

What area of Houston are you in?
    empty said
    lol so oldschool =X
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak said
    I think the 9800 Pro 256MB card doesn't utilize but 128MB due to driver limitations. If that's true, then shortly the 9800 will have a nice boost in some situations.

Thrax said

Of course I am! :D
    SimGuy said

The driver issue was fixed with the recent catalysts, and the boost it received in two games (Doom and HL2 demos) don't save it from the power of the 5900 Ultra.

:respect: 5900 Ultra
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak said
    Slick said

fanboy! just kidding!

This is my next card :D

Everytime I see the Bitchin'Fast 3D, I can't help but laugh! A great classic! :D
  • edited July 2003
    It's funny (the BitchenFast3D) but at the time, a card that was capable of Glide, RRedline, and the other brand-specific APIs would have made the card's creator a TON of money...

Thankfully, D3D fixed this. Because of this, 3DFX went under. Cause once Glide and the need for irritating brand specific APIs were obsolete (which was all 3DFX really had, the fastest easiest to program API), and they're D3D compadibility was crummy compaired to the then tiny nVidia, they went under faster then the Titanic.

Anyways, I for one never even heard of these Omega drivers until now. Did they really speed anything up?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    This move by nVidia doesn't surprise me in the least Im afraid. The reasons why are obvious. They don't like people hacking their drivers and revealing the secrets contained within.

So, Omega says he never actually reverse engineered the DLL's? That to nVidia doesn't mean he didn't. They are suspicious and obviously want to protect their IP. Is it good for the community? No. Is it good for nVidia's business model? Yes.

The Omega drivers fixed graphical glitches and did improve visual quality. They were more about visual rather than performance fixing :)
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited July 2003
    Once you release something for free to the web IP goes out the window. The onlything he really needs to do from a legal stand point is remove all nvidia logos from the drivers and his website.

No lawyer in the world is gonna win a suit of IP on freely distributed things. Y you ask, cuz you dont have to actually own a nvidia card to download the drivers. They are free, also if he modifies the drivers by 20% then they dont own IP anymore. 20% changes to things generally null copyrights and patents allowing for the editor to copywrite or patent. Im however am not up to date anymore on patent law and could be way off but thats my .02

Tek
    edited July 2003
    Yeah! It's one of the funniest things in the Funny Pics thread.
    SimGuy said

Everytime I see the Bitchin'Fast 3D, I can't help but laugh! A great classic! :D

I'm not very familiar w/ the different 3D-APIs.
    I've never done any game programming.

All I know is that BF3D is funny stuff ;)
    TheSmJ said
    It's funny (the BitchenFast3D) but at the time, a card that was capable of Glide, RRedline, and the other brand-specific APIs would have made the card's creator a TON of money...

Thankfully, D3D fixed this. Because of this, 3DFX went under. Cause once Glide and the need for irritating brand specific APIs were obsolete (which was all 3DFX really had, the fastest easiest to program API), and they're D3D compadibility was crummy compaired to the then tiny nVidia, they went under faster then the Titanic.

Anyways, I for one never even heard of these Omega drivers until now. Did they really speed anything up?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2003
    Thrax said

there seems to be some debate on that issue..

GamePC: GFFX 5900 Ultra 256MB vs ATI R9800 Pro 256MB, R9800 Pro 128MB, R9700 Pro 128MB, R9600 Pro 128MB

Which card is faster depends on the resolution and quality settings.....

HardOCP: GF 5900 Ultra 256MB vs Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
    edited July 2003
    It only lost in splinter-cell and RTCW.... :rolleyes:
    edited July 2003
    In the GamePC bench's the R9800 Pro 256MB was ahead in every benchmark. In the HardOCP reviews the 5900 Ultra was ahead except for 6xAA/8XAA & 16x12 res.

Both cards Kick Ass. I'd pick which ever was the cheaper of the two.
    edited July 2003
    Just saw these...

THG: Video Card Guide

5900 Ultra vs R9800 16x12 No FSAA & No Ansio
    edited July 2003
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Er...... and that has what to do with Omega?

Anyway, the only time I used Omega drivers was for XP and ME on my old Voodoo 3 card as they fixed some problems, just upgraded it to a GF4MX anyway, so the problems are now gone.

NS
    edited July 2003
    nothing - it's off topic

Thrax's is mostly right, that except for Hi-Resolution and High Q settings the 5900 Ultra usually benchmarks higher than the R9800 Pro