Mac Virus Disguised as Word 2004

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited May 2004 in Spyware & Virus Removal
"Macworld is alerting of a malware program for the Mac. A Macworld reader alerted the magazine to the malware after he downloaded the file from Limewire. The reader told Macworld: 'I downloaded the file in the hope that perhaps Microsoft had released some sort of public beta. The file unzipped, and to my delight the Microsoft icon looked genuine and trustworthy.' However, he added: 'I clicked on the installer file, and to my horror in 10 seconds the attachment had wiped my entire Home folder!'"

This sounds similar to the recent trojan horse proof-of-concept. There are many ways to make one file look like another, on any platform.

Sounds like poetic justice methinks

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    And illustrates the dangers of trusitng everything you can download on P2P services, even Mac based ones.

Dexter...
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited May 2004
    BUT MACS DON'T GET VIRUSES!! *snicker* roflmfao.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    BUT MACS DON'T GET VIRUSES!! *snicker* roflmfao.

HAHAH! My school's MAC's got hit twice so far since I have attended ;) But yet you're still allowed to bring in removable media on MAC's but not on the PC's... :thumbsdow

I still do it though ;D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    "Macworld is alerting of a malware program for the Mac. A Macworld reader alerted the magazine to the malware after he downloaded the file from Limewire. The reader told Macworld: 'I downloaded the file in the hope that perhaps Microsoft had released some sort of public beta. The file unzipped, and to my delight the Microsoft icon looked genuine and trustworthy.' However, he added: 'I clicked on the installer file, and to my horror in 10 seconds the attachment had wiped my entire Home folder!'"

This sounds similar to the recent trojan horse proof-of-concept. There are many ways to make one file look like another, on any platform.

Sounds like poetic justice methinks

Yeah, its a pain. On any box.

Meanwhile, in Europe, on Wednesday(Yesterday), Wallon surfaced as a new mdeium risk PC\W32 virus, and somehow a Sasser.F is now loose on the web. Sasser.E tried to kill Sasser.D and earlier, the Sasser.F is kinda a surprise to me.

Equal opportunity viruses, YUCK!
  • godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited May 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    'I downloaded the file in the hope that perhaps Microsoft had released some sort of public beta. The file unzipped, and to my delight the Microsoft icon looked genuine and trustworthy.' However, he added: 'I clicked on the installer file, and to my horror in 10 seconds the attachment had wiped my entire Home folder!'

...And that somehow qualifies it as a virus? Sounds to me like it really was the Microsoft beta. ;D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited May 2004
    hehehe