SM17 is folding away!

qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
SM17 is up and running. She's currently running at stock speeds but I'll slowly move her up once I get her proper heatsink on. I did a minimalist net install of Debian GNU/Linux (no GUI here) so don't expect any pretty backgrounds. Just a nice clean console.

SM17 is currently crunching frame 6 of a P348 (54.8 pointer) at about 16 minutes / frame. The work unit should be done tomorrow around 9:00pm PST so look for SM17 on the stats soon after.

The only problem I ran into was with the hard-drive. Apparently the motherboard hates it or it has a corrupted MBR. It doesn't really matter though since I can just use a boot floppy to reboot it when the power goes out every year or so ;).

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    GREAT NEWS!! I was wondering when or if you were getting the packages since they all came from the US. The case wasnt damaged was it? I didnt have another box to double box it and had to stick the front bezel in the computer to make room for more peanuts.

The HDD worked here. I tested everything. It should have been pretty secure in all the bubble wrap.

Now onto SM18.:)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Nice work, qp! You got her up and running very fast.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Great work, qp :)
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2003
    The case has a few scratches but I think they were probably pre-shipping. That think was packed full of peanuts! I put them all back in the box afterwards and its still 3/4 full. Everything arrived well packed and in good shape. With the HD I think it might just be some wierd compatibility error, or maybe Debian screwed up the MBR. I'll probably never figure it out, but it works fine as is and I've only got about 100 debian boot disks lying around.

The packages came in late last week (2 on wednesday and yours on thursday). I put her together right away but I had a midterm on Friday and didn't have time to fiddle with the boot problem. She's all good now though.

Oh and she's on frame 12 now :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Glad to hear it! This is "The Folding Frog", right?

Prof
    Ribbit:tongue:
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2003
    I knew it was supposed to be called something!

So do you want me to do the name?

"SM17 - The Folding Frog" or what?

EDIT: I just checked the old threads and it was SM 15 that was named for the Frogs. I don't think 17 had a designated name AFAIK.
    edited July 2003
    Yeah I packed it full of peanuts. Anyplace I could squeeze them in.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    qparadox said
    I knew it was supposed to be called something!

So do you want me to do the name?

"SM17 - The Folding Frog" or what?

EDIT: I just checked the old threads and it was SM 15 that was named for the Frogs. I don't think 17 had a designated name AFAIK.

I'm glad someone checks these things.

I feel dumb...:banghead:

Prof
    (Chagrined In Charlottesville):rolleyes2
    edited July 2003
    SM17 doesnt have any special name.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    w00t, great news m8. Glad to see another rig for the team is up, now time to start on another, hehe