Options

Norton found Dc13.dll in C:\RECYLCERS?

Norton scan found Adware in C:\RECYCLERS folder. I couldn't not find this folder at all to delete it. (Norton said "delete failed".) How do I get to it to remove it and why didn't my Ad-Aware find this? It almsot sounds like it did and Norton is reading it from the restore folder? What do you guys think?

Comments

• miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited May 2004
    Turn off system restore monitoring for that drive and then turn it back on. That should clear it
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    In this case, do you have Norton SystemWorks??? If so, empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

That works this way:

Right Click My Computer. (click right mouse button while pointer is on My Computer icon)

Then Click (left mouse button this time) on the Empty Norton Protected Files option in the littel menu that pops up. The Recycled bin that has Norton Protection will hide the Protected files-- AdAware will see entry in registry, not be able to access the files if you are not running Adaware as Administrator in XP or 2000 or some versions of NT earlier than both.

IF that does not work, then you have a folder of that kind (hidden and\or of attribution type system), but it is hidden and\or system type, or you are not cleaning the box while logged in as adminsitrator, or your searcher is not showing system files and\or hidden files. We can handle that next if this is not a "safety" trash bin problem totally, but the procedure is interactive and complex. I do not want to write that book unless needed.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    miinkie wrote:
    Turn off system restore monitoring for that drive and then turn it back on. That should clear it

Yeah, turn off, run Adaware, kill the thing, then turn System Restore back on for that drive, yes. All while logged in as admin. My restore files do not hide in a Recyclers directory tree pathing, though.

Also note, you CAN give AdAware sysadmin privileges if you know the Administrator password, by getting into the properties pane for the .exe file and telling XP to run as Administrator for user and give the next box the Administrator passowrd. Be very careful what programs you give these privileges, a firewall, AV, and things that are junk killers of the kind that Adaware and HJT are are about the only things other than system processes which you know are valid that I would run this way. One very VALID reason to create an administrator ID and password when you install XP or 2000 is to let this happen, BTW.
  • edited May 2004
    John_D wrote:
    In this case, do you have Norton SystemWorks??? If so, empty the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.
    No, I don't have the SystemWorks. Frankly, I don't care for Norton. I can't wait until my subscription expires in June. I'll just continue to use Adaware and Spybot. Thanks for trying though!
    That works this way:

Right Click My Computer. (click right mouse button while pointer is on My Computer icon)

Then Click (left mouse button this time) on the Empty Norton Protected Files option in the littel menu that pops up. The Recycled bin that has Norton Protection will hide the Protected files-- AdAware will see entry in registry, not be able to access the files if you are not running Adaware as Administrator in XP or 2000 or some versions of NT earlier than both.

IF that does not work, then you have a folder of that kind (hidden and\or of attribution type system), but it is hidden and\or system type, or you are not cleaning the box while logged in as adminsitrator, or your searcher is not showing system files and\or hidden files. We can handle that next if this is not a "safety" trash bin problem totally, but the procedure is interactive and complex. I do not want to write that book unless needed.
  • edited May 2004
    If I turn off system restore, won't that erase ALL of my restore points? I'm afraid if I turn it off, I won't be able to restore to last week or so if I need to.
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited May 2004
    littlec wrote:
    If I turn off system restore, won't that erase ALL of my restore points? I'm afraid if I turn it off, I won't be able to restore to last week or so if I need to.

You are correct. However, If you do not disable system restore you are essentially also 'backing up' your problem.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    Create a new system restore point first then. Go START -> ALL PROGRAMS -> ACCESSORIES -> SYSTEM TOOLS -> SYSTEM RESTORE. Create a restore point, name it by date. Then disable system restore via the Control Panel.

If you cannot see a file or folder for deletion, it may be hidden. From the folder window, go TOOLS -> FOLDER OPTIONS. Select the VIEW tab. :Show hidden files and folders", and hit Apply / OK. Then check for the file. If you still canot see it, go back into the options and turn off "Hide Protected Operating System Files" , Apply / OK. Then check again.

Unless Norton already quarantined the file, then you can view the files through Norton, click on Reports, Quarantined Items -> VIEW REPORT.

Dexter...
  • edited May 2004
    How do I give Adaware system admin priveleges?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Hold down Control, Right click the Ad-Aware shortcut and select Run as... from the menu.
  • edited May 2004
    I tried but it gave me an error message. I'm the only one that uses the computer. Do I type in my name for user like I have on my user account or the name I gave my computer? How do I find out what the password is or if there even IS one?
    edited May 2004
    User account name, and the password for that account. If your computer boots up without a password, then you don't have one, leave it blank. But I am guessing that you already have Administrator's privileges. Can you install or uninstall software? If so, you have admin rights, so you do not need to do this.

Dexter...
  • edited May 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    User account name, and the password for that account. If your computer boots up without a password, then you don't have one, leave it blank. But I am guessing that you already have Administrator's privileges. Can you install or uninstall software? If so, you have admin rights, so you do not need to do this.

Dexter...
    I tried and it still keeps telling me "error uable to log on. unknown user name or bad password. Oh well. I'll just do the restore thing. Thanks anyway!!!
    edited May 2004
    Well, do you use a password when you log in? If not, then find out what your username is by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and bringing up the Task Mgr. Click on the USERS tab, and see what users are running.

If you bnought your system with the OS preinstalled, many computer stores use a default setup with 2 usersnames installed:

- Administrator

- User

User will have admin right as well. But try entering in the username Administrator, with no password, into the Ad Aware "Run As" preference. I'm guessing that if you don't know your username or password, then you have a default setup as I just outlined, so that may do the trick for you.

Dexter...