Hijack This! log-muddocktor

Hey guys, I'm out at the rig and the computer I'm typing this up on is messed up with hijackers and what not(it belongs to a guy working on the rig with me). I had him d/l and run Spybot and it got a bunch of the crap but he's still getting popups as soon as you plug the ethernet cable in. I just ran Hijack This! and here's the log of it:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 8:04:54 AM, on 5/19/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\hijack this\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hp.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.hp.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = https://register.hp.com/servlet/WebReg.servlets.ProdReg1Servlet?appID=java_wreg_wreg_genpg&modelID=DS534U&product_full_name=Pavilion%20ze8500&PROD_SERIAL_ID=CNF35104Z9&PURCH_DT_MONTH=02&PURCH_DT_DAY=02&PURCH_DT_YEAR=2004&gwCountry=US&language=EN&prodOS=011
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TV Now] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\TvNow.exe /RK
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Display Settings] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\hptasks.exe /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QT4HPOT] C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\inetadpt.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {DDFFA75A-E81D-4454-89FC-B9FD0631E726} - http://www.bundleware.com/activeX/DS3/DS3.cab

I'm pretty sure that there are several lines that need to go but I'm pretty damn busy right now and unable to really concentrate on what needs to go. If you all could tell me what needs to go I'd really appreciate it.

We got a sat connection in our mud lab so I should be able to pop in every now and then while I'm at work. :cool: I'll check back later today to see what's cooking. ;)

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Remove the following in safe mode:

O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com
    O16 - DPF: {DDFFA75A-E81D-4454-89FC-B9FD0631E726} - http://www.bundleware.com/activeX/DS3/DS3.cab

Once you're finished, you're going to have to run LSP-Fix. Download it from another PC and copy it to this one. Run it and let it check for missing or corrupted winsock DLLs. You should have a WinXP install CD handy in case you have to reinstall any corrupted files.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm out at the rig and the computer I'm typing this up on is messed up with hijackers and what not(it belongs to a guy working on the rig with me). I had him d/l and run Spybot and it got a bunch of the crap but he's still getting popups as soon as you plug the ethernet cable in. I just ran Hijack This! and here's the log of it:

Mud, dumb looking and fairly obvious idea but lots of folks miss this one:

IS Windows Messenger Service disabled??? The popups that come through the WMS hole are like plain black on a message box messages, whihc can have active hyperlinks in them which can be blue and underlined. IF you are getting non-graphical (color, pictures type) popups, the most common hole is Messenger Service being on. It DEFAULTs to on when installed. Having it off will not prevent anyone from using MSN Messenger or other IM, it was there for sysadmins to talk to LAN users in urgent emergencies instantly, or for sysadmins in different places than at desk to talk to each other in a LAN setting. For the web, it is not needed at all.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    So md, do these guys that you work with realize how hard core you are about coumputers? Or is this a condition that you have managed to keep secret.
  • edited May 2004
    Seth, thanks for the help man. :) I had caught all the lines with a quick glance at the HJT log except for this one: O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com, but wasn't sure about them. I'm going to have to wait until the guy wakes up to find out if he has his HP restore disk with him before I try to wipe out the LSP stuff. I already downloaded the lspfix file and unzipped it on my lappy; figured this computer would need it when I saw those entries.

John_D, yes, I also know about how vulnerable the windows messenger crap is and I'm also removing it from his computer also. Thanks for the input. :)

Ed, some of the hands know I'm pretty handy with computers but I try not to let them know how hardcore I really am, otherwise they'd swamp me with their problems. ;D This guy is my relief , so I'm going to take care of him, especially since it's his computer I'm using to get on the net with. Like a dummy, I forgot to pack my pc card ethernet card for my laptop when getting ready to go to work. :banghead: :banghead: I'm going to have my wife send it down to the dock so I will have internet access after he goes in this weekend.
  • edited May 2004
    OK, I ran into a problem that HJT and also LSP-Fix aren't getting rid of. Here's the latest HJT log:

Scan saved at 8:37:15 AM, on 5/20/2004

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hp.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.hp.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = https://register.hp.com/servlet/WebReg.servlets.ProdReg1Servlet?appID=java_wreg_wreg_genpg&modelID=DS534U&product_full_name=Pavilion%20ze8500&PROD_SERIAL_ID=CNF35104Z9&PURCH_DT_MONTH=02&PURCH_DT_DAY=02&PURCH_DT_YEAR=2004&gwCountry=US&language=EN&prodOS=011
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TV Now] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\TvNow.exe /RK
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Display Settings] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\hptasks.exe /s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

As you can see, neither HJT nor LSP-Fix are cleaning the inetadpt.dll file, and this computer is still getting popups and redirects. I just looked with LSP-Fix on my laptop, which is running win2K SP4, and it doesn't have that dll at all. What exactly does that dll do and can I safetly delete it and still have a functioning computer here? If I need the file, where would it be located at on the XP disk to extract and replace it.

Thanks for the help, you all! :)
  • edited May 2004
    OK, I went and checked another WinXP machine on the rig with LSP-Fix and saw that the inetadpt.dll wasn't being used on it, so I went and moved and renamed the file so it wouldn't be found, then rebooted. I then ran LSP-Fix again, and it let me remove the entries for inetadpt.dll and rebooted. Now, there is no mention of it in the HJT log and the computer seems to be surfing the net with no problems. :cool:

I think that this another hijacking case solved and cured! :D
  • edited May 2004
    Well, I spoke too damn soon. This computer is still getting popup windows and crap trying to reset the IE homepage. :mean: Here's the latest HJT log:

Scan saved at 11:18:58 AM, on 5/20/2004

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

What is this line for, anyone? O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll Is that a legit app is is it the source of the popups?

Help please!
  • edited May 2004
    Hello, can anyone hazzard a guess as to what is still in this machine? Besides the popups, it's getting redirects to spotsearch.com, saying that the url you input is not available.:mad:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Try the latest version of CWShredder.
  • edited May 2004
    That seems to have done the trick, Seth. :D I've been surfing on it for a few hours now and no popups from IE and no redirects either. CWShredder found some redirects in the hosts file and the version I d/l'ed the other day didn't find them.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited May 2004
    Hey MD, could you post one more HJT log, I'm looking to see what was deleted by CW. Trying to increase my anti-Spyware knowledge.

CW kicking the crap out of the machines here at work. I must get a half-dozen trouble tickets a day because of it.

Thanks,

Fred
  • edited May 2004
    No problem, RADA. However, CWShredder only deleted some redirects in the hosts file this time, which seems to have cured this computer's problems. I also installed SB 1.3, Spy Sweeper(free edition) and Zone Alarm (free edition) for my relief on his computer. Here's the latest HJT for you:

Scan saved at 4:16:22 PM, on 5/21/2004

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
    edited May 2004
    If you do not need to hear the Zoltrix modem dial, or box no longer has one, delete carpserv.exe-- it is a speaker sound server from Zoltrix. One of those things the modem can work without.

npdocbox.dll I am assuming you know is an acrobat\acrobat reader 5 and 5+ plugin.

Other than that, you look good to go.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited May 2004
    Thank you John!

Been trying to figure out what that was! (npdocbox.dll) :thumbsup:
    edited May 2004
    RADA wrote:
    Thank you John!

Been trying to figure out what that was! (npdocbox.dll) :thumbsup:

Welcome, I Googled it, then checked with my install. WinTasks 4 Professional and some process tree tools. It is NOT in Acrobat Reader 6.0
  • edited May 2004
    John_D wrote:
    If you do not need to hear the Zoltrix modem dial, or box no longer has one, delete carpserv.exe-- it is a speaker sound server from Zoltrix. One of those things the modem can work without.

Other than that, you look good to go.

Thanks for the info John. He still uses dialup at his house though, so I'll leave it in there. Nice bit of info to know though. :)
This discussion has been closed.