What is the best program for computer modeling?

NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
edited May 2004 in Internet & Media
What is the best program for computer modeling? I am entering the make something unreal contest.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    3DSMax is generally the de facto standard for modelling in that respect.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited May 2004
    Where can I get it? :banghead:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    At the store....

Nick, try to post your threads in the appropriate forums.. This is not a programming question... we have a digital media forum for this stuff :)
    edited May 2004
    Sorry again. I didn't know that it was not a programming question, I thought it was. :banghead:
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited May 2004
    np. I've had more threads moved... :D

Anyhow, 3DSMax is, as thrax said, probably the de facto standard for modeling stuff like that. The only problems are:
    a- It's expensive as hell (most professional software is, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than programs like solidworks)

www.discreet.com should be the website for the company that makes 3dsmax (it's down, at the moment). There's a free, 30 day demo of it on that site. Just make sure you've got a broadband connection. The program is like 100mb, and there are a number of add-in packages at around 100mb each, too, as I recall.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited May 2004
    I would have to say that Alias MAYA 6.0 is the de-facto standard for this sort of thing. Unfortunately it is way more expensive than 3d Studio Max 6.0. I think the license fee is like $7,000 for MAYA, so it's pretty ridiculous for us normal folks.

So for you, 3dsMax will work out just fine. The 30 day demo that was mentioned should be perfect....you could also check out www.alias.com to see if the have a free downloadable demo...

Also, there is a pretty steep learning curve for modeling/rendering. I would suggest following the built-in demos to get you started. Good luck!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    One thing I have learned in school is that no one program is really "better" than another. I would say 3Ds Max is a very nice program, and very robust. You can pick it up and immediatly model out _something_, and is used by the majority in game design and is even used for Feature Films. There are limits to it though that allows MAYA to be "better" for movies and such, but that is some very advanced stuff.

3Ds Max will run you about $3000, even for the Education Licence I believe.

There is also Lightwave, it is very easy to use also, BUT inititally, you won't even know how to make a cube. Everything is pretty much hidden, and it will take some time. But once you understand how it works, it is pretty much down hill from there. Lots of people swear by it over 3Ds Max anyday. I am not one of them, but I agree it's a great program!

Lightwave will run you about $1,500.

Cinema 4D is the 3D program many use for those abstract peices of art you will see on Deviant Art like THIS ONE I haven't hadt he chance to check it out myself, but it seems to be gaining alot of fans lately. I will be buying it within the month actually, just so I can know more than 1 3D modeling program. Trying to get Lightwave too, and a full legal copy of 3Ds Max, but that will be lots of money, sacrifices must be made :D

Cinema 4D is just under $600.

There are others, and I wander if there is a free program floating around, I _know_ there is, and one that was propietary, was released by a gaming company; but I can't remember anymore than that.

If you're just wanting a 3D program to do cool **** in, try Cinema 4D to save you money... or Lightwave if you think you may want to get into the industry. But if you ARE trying to get the knowledge you need to get into the industry, 3Ds Max is the way to go, lightwave being a secondary. Maya is just too expencive, but they are supposedly dropping prices, but slowly over time. Meanwhile Discreet is raising theirs.
    edited May 2004
    Well, I'll try to find a free program while saving some money up for a good one and thanx for the help. :respect:

By the way I love the symphany.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    A lot of amateur modellers have had fantastic success with a program called Milkshape 3D by chumbalumsoft.

It isn't anywhere near as advanced as the listed programs between Ranger Loki and myself, however for games, the results can be identical with the right amount of practice.
    edited May 2004
    I found one at http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

Oh yeah! :Rocker:

It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    It is free!
    edited May 2004
    Sure is hard to make a figure! :banghead:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    3DSMAX education version is $350-$500, Maya was running an educational special for only $99 last year. Educational versions make it illegal for you to sell the work you create, but they are very nice for well... Learning.

I'm more of a 3DSMAX fan, it has limitations being that the default renderer is not so great unless you handle your lighting well. However, it also has radiosity and mental ray out of the box now, so that's very good. Maya in my experience is better for orgranics such as grass, trees, backgrounds, skies, and the likes. 3DSMAX is more 'industrial' if you will. Howeve, 3DSMAX is catching up in that aspect.

Lightwave probably has the best out-of-box renderer you can get, but the program is extremely rigid and has its limitations.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Jingo wrote:
    Sure is hard to make a figure! :banghead:

You know what you should do? Get 3Ds Max's 30 Day trial, it is the complete version. Download all the extra's for it too. The extra's come with Tutorials and stuff that I used alot to help me out.

So use the 30 Day trial and start working on them tutorials to get to know the process better. Then when the 30 day's are up, use a free version of some 3D software.
    edited May 2004
    Would it be possible for you to give me the site address? :celebrate
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I think that this is the page you download from.... but when I did it, I had to register, then an email came with the real download page with all the goodies.

http://www4.discreet.com/3dsmax/3dsmax.php?id=403
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited May 2004
    I'll add Softimage XSI to the mix. It is one of the "defacto" standards. :) It's only $2794 USD.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    MediaMan wrote:
    I'll add Softimage XSI to the mix. It is one of the "defacto" standards. :) It's only $2794 USD.

3ds max 6 - $3,495 MSRP :hair:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Bryce 3D is a good one to do graphics too. Also Quite expensive.
    edited May 2004
    Well I found a free one.

http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html
    :Rocker: Rock on.

The one that RWB suggested takes me 1 hour to download on this computer. Well, that is not really relevant or saying much because this computer is a slow one anyway.
    edited May 2004
    Use the free ones until you figure out this is what you'd like to do. After that, you'll have to switch to another program.
    edited May 2004
    I like this program becaus eit is a free one and I think that I could go far with it. :Rocker:
    edited May 2004
    Unfortunately, you're not going to go very far without something that has a price tag.
    edited May 2004
    We will see wont we.
    :type:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Jingo wrote:
    We will see wont we.
    :type:

That's the way to talk! and think ;) Seriously, if you can make something generic be bad ass, then I would say that is like taking cheap generic RAM and Overclocking the hell outta it beyond anything Enthusiasts would normally buy :thumbsup:

I might have to try out some of these other programs.
  • Stone-GiStone-Gi Kent, UK
    edited May 2004
    hi,
    i found Anim8or a while ago (seems a bit basic), i use Blender 3D http://www.blender3d.org , its the best free CAD Program you can get,
    Cheek out this forum to see some of the cool stuff that can be done with blender http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 .
    edited May 2004
    Now there is a poll and it will help me decide if I want another program. :rockon: