The Über DVD

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I'm in the process of constructing my Über DVD that will be for my internal business use consistent with the terms of all applicable licensing agreements (not for distribution, hence the personalization of the drivers).

So far I've included:
XP Pro (bootable to install)
Office XP
Office 2003 Beta 2
The most recent NForce2 drivers
Cat 3.5 Softmod
Other miscellaneous drivers (TV Tuner, ATA Controller, etc)

I'm gonna include:
Publisher
MBM
Trillian Pro
Winamp 2.90
A few registry tweaks
Antivirus

I'm gonna try and find full downloads of a bunch of Windows Update patches, fixes, and the like to include as well.

Am I leaving anything obvious out?

NOTE: ALL OF THE MICROSOFT SOFTWARE MENTIONED WAS LEGALLY OBTAINED AND LICENSED THROUGH MY COMPANY'S MS ACTION PACK SUBSCRIPTION.

PS: thanks for the head's up

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    the way i look at it bro...lets face it, itll all be outdated within a few months anyway. Don't bother with drviers etc, unless its for a network card. HOWEVER if u do not have broadband...then i take back my previous comment...otherwise i cant see anything else you would wanna keep...perhaps codecs for ur wmp
  • edited July 2003
    I'm putting it on a DVD+RW so, I can update it piece-meal. :-)

Some of it will be outdated, but with as often as I reformat I think it will still be worth it.
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited July 2003
    How you doing this? Just a straight copy/burn of files to the DVD, or are you constructiong some menu and making it bootable?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Looks like a killer dvd you will create. I would die for something like that, very convenient.

A full install of any os and partitions + standard software takes around 15 cd´s for me and i´m spending more time looking for the damn things than it takes to install. I HATE discs.
  • edited July 2003
    I'm just doing folders for the various things. I lack the programing skill to make a menu. I may try and brush up on my html and make something, I'll update y'all.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    mackanz; I only need 1 disc to reinstall windows and all my drivers- the windows cd. I keep all my drivers on a 2nd hard drive. When I set up my Athlon 1400 system in 2000 (2001?) I bought both a 18.2 and a 36.7GB 10,000RPM IBM SCSI drives to supplement my 9.1GB IBM 7200RPM SCSI, and I'll never, ever, EVER go back to using a computer with 1 hard drive (or at the very least 1 partition) again, except maybe a laptop. Keep all your mp3s, docs, drivers, etc. on the 2nd drive, and you'll never have to worry about finding the cds again. And drives are so cheap now (here in the U.S. anyhow- $30 for 30gb after rebates; I just got 4 of those 160gb maxtors for $70 each) that it doesn't make sense not to have 2 drives...
  • edited July 2003
    I just realized, and no one had called me on:
    Not including the Folding Console on the disc... My production is still below normal because I need to get a new HSF for my main computer.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    The one in your sig?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    mackanz; I only need 1 disc to reinstall windows and all my drivers- the windows cd. I keep all my drivers on a 2nd hard drive. When I set up my Athlon 1400 system in 2000 (2001?) I bought both a 18.2 and a 36.7GB 10,000RPM IBM SCSI drives to supplement my 9.1GB IBM 7200RPM SCSI, and I'll never, ever, EVER go back to using a computer with 1 hard drive (or at the very least 1 partition) again, except maybe a laptop. Keep all your mp3s, docs, drivers, etc. on the 2nd drive, and you'll never have to worry about finding the cds again. And drives are so cheap now (here in the U.S. anyhow- $30 for 30gb after rebates; I just got 4 of those 160gb maxtors for $70 each) that it doesn't make sense not to have 2 drives...

I have 3 pretty big drives myself, but they are smack full of bible stuff that i collect. On top of that, it seems that i never can decide on what type of partition setup that i best for me. I laborate a lot. To much. Sorry Moxon for crapping your thread.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited July 2003
    NIC card drivers if you're using a PCI NIC.

TweakUI

You might want to throw Adobe Acrobat Reader if you use PDFs any.

Seems like you have everything else.
  • edited July 2003
    Ahh indeed, the powertoys need to be included. I had already put the 3com Onboard drivers in the folder.

Yes, my main rig is not folding :-( The crappy HS I have in there is hot as all hell after about five minutes even at idle (we're talking high forties.

Feel free to reccomend a replacement in my thread in Cooling!