Memory and F@Home ???

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Folding@Home
How much does the amount of memory in your system affect folding? Sorry to ask as I am sure it has been addressed before. ;)

I currently have 256mb DDR3200 in a Barton 2500 /NF2 system with it turned to 11x200 and Win XP and it is a folding only rig.

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2004
    As long as you have enough so that you're not swapping to disk then it you're fine, its a "speed not size" issue. 256 MB should be fine for an XP folding only rig, especially if you get rid of a bunch of the extra sevices XP runs.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Yeah depends on the OS ...I'd say whatever it takes to start WinXP should be fine (probably nothing else) ...256mb.
    With lesser mem use an older version of Winders like 98.
  • edited May 2004
    256 MB is more than enough to run XP Pro on that rig with no problems, MT. That's exactly what I have on my NF7-S rig right now, running XP Pro and it's a folding fool. Just go in and turn off the unneeded services and you will be just fine.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    If you'd like a list of my services and settings I can help out ...let me know. :fold:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    IC_11 is doing great with 128mb DDR @ 140mhz. Runs WinXP with minimal tweaking. Sure, 128mb on WinXP on a normal use system would choke - but all IC_11 does is cure disease all day.

If someone thinks measureable folding gains could be attained by slimming down on services, give me a list of things to give the axe to :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Blackviper.com knows their business when it comes to Windows services. I've used this guide for WinXP Home, Pro, and Win2000 Pro, with nary a problem.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2004
    I also use that guide.:)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Thanks!!!:D It looks like I am in buisness again. I appreciate all your help! ;) Now to get those numbers up again!