Unanswered Network problem

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I oringinally postes this over at AMDMB while this site went down last night.

Well I got cable awhile back I said I would be able to hook up the 2 computers we had at the time using the same connection. (I was on 56k and had them networked via crossover cable).

So we got a Linksys Cable router from newegg. I couldnt get it to work to we RMAed it. Got another. Same problem. Even went to radio shack to make sure. 3 of them, same problem.

Ok so here is the problem:

I hook everything up, starting with just one PC. Wall>modem>router>PC.
Turn off modem and router.
Turn on modem. Wait for lights to stop blinking.
Turn on router.
Go to PC. ipconfig says woh.rr.com which is my RR account's domain.
Check a webpage and it works. About 2 pages work. Then it goes downhill from there. Then no pages work. They all try to but eventually time out. Then once in awhile a page will make it thru the network. Here and there it will work.

All during this time I ipconfig still says woh.rr.com. Usually anytime I switch PCs with the modem and its not getting a connection yet I always get 3com instead of woh.rr.com, brand of modem.

I can get to the router admin page at 192.168.1.1. I have pics of every page and how its set up but I cant attach here.

I thought I should be able to plug it in and go. Not so for me.

Cables are good. They work going from modem to PC and both PCs work like that. That means NICs are good. Modem is good I guess since I can download and surf like it should when hooked directly to a PC.

I had this problem for months now. Finally got some free time to take screenshots of every page. I made a thread at Icrontic when it was still up and any tip someone gave did not help.

I have the summer off and will try anything. I dont have a job yet and I will have loads of free time this summer. Graduation is this weekend along with some parties but I should still have time.

This thing has to be up when I leave for college so I can leave these 3 computers here.

Does anyone have any hints tips for me to try? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time for reading all of it anyway.
Originally posted by Harryc
mmonnin, a couple of general questions. First, what is the model number on the Linksys router. Secondly, is the cable modem plugged into the WAN port on the router?. Finially, have you removed all of the crossover cables and replaced them with standard CAT5 (straight through) cables?
Originally posted by mmonnin
Linksys Router: Linksys BEFSR41 Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with a built-in 4-port 10/100 Switch

Cable modem goes to WAN port of the router.

They are all patch cables. I know if I switch a crossover cable with a patch cable it will give me a network cable unplugged error. The lil 2 comps with a red X in the system tray. Well thats not there. Cables are good.
Originally posted by Harryc
Ok, we'll poke around to see what we can find. Meanwhile, try this copied from a Google post- "In Internet Explorer, go into internet options, click the connection tab, then click LAN settings. Check or uncheck, depending on it's current setup, the box for "Automatically Detect Settings"
OK I will set it up again in the morning and try that. I dont think I tried that. ATM it is not checked.

And I am running from modem to PC atm.
Well I am back on it. I checked the auto detect settings and it is better but not close to what it should be at.

Pages still take too long to load, sometimes I get server could not be found error.

Couldnt get onto MSN messenger for awhile. Lost Yahoo messenger on trillian for a bit. Kazaa lite wont stay connected. Just got disconnected from mIRC.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Setup page on Router
    edited June 2003
    Password page on router
    edited June 2003
    Status page on router
    edited June 2003
    DHCP
    edited June 2003
    Log
    log.jpg 30.3K
    edited June 2003
    Security
    edited June 2003
    Filters
    edited June 2003
    Forwarding
    edited June 2003
    Dynamic routing
    edited June 2003
    Static routing
    edited June 2003
    DMZ Host
    edited June 2003
    Mac Clone
    edited June 2003
    ipconfig /all
    edited June 2003
    Local area connection
    edited June 2003
    Local area connection properties
    edited June 2003
    Local area connection advanced

I can take more screenies if needed.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thumbnails dude. Thumbnails!!! :p

If it's a DSL/Cable router, can't you just directly connect from the wall to the router ?
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The first thing to do will be to examine what's going wrong. Try accessing sites by their IP addresses, for instance, to see if DNS might be the cause of the problem. You can also traceroute to an IP to search for the break in the chain - whether it's on your side or the ISPs. Also check out the cable modem's built in config/status page. Mine is located at http://192.168.100.1 . Look at these things when pages stop working - simple web surfing isn't enough info to diagnose it.

Anyway I would guess that it's not DNS since it's on and off. It sounds a lot like a LAN problem even though you've checked it. When something goes wrong, make sure you can access both the router and thru it the cable modem, then try pinging an IP outside your LAN such as the first one after the router that appears on a traceroute.

Edit- Blackhawk, Cable/DSL routers usually just have an Ethernet connection labeled WAN to connect to the real modem. If it was a DSL router then it would probably function as a modem. But it would be a good idea actually to see what happens when you hook a computer up directly to the cable modem.
    edited June 2003
    Do you know that default name/password is for a 3com modem. Mine is also the same IP as yours but the only thing that is useful are some diagnostic LEDs concerning download/upload/IP and some others. I have never been to that page before either.

I forget that the tracing command is on command propt.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Try "User" and "Password", I read that somewhere but it may not work. If it doesn't what model is it?

The traceroute command is 'tracert [ip]'. I usually use tracert -d because it takes too long to look up host names and I'm not interested in them; -d just lists IP addresses.
    edited June 2003
    User and password is not it. 3com HomeConnect Consumer Cable Modem, its discontinued. I dont know why RoadRunner gave me that one.

Ahhh tracert, thats it.
  • MikeP928MikeP928 New Joisey
    edited June 2003
    Marc,

Under the Advanced configuration tab do you have an option to enable MAC Cloning?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    What about purchasing an extra IP from your ISP and seeing if that will help
    edited June 2003
    Posted above attachment.php?s=&postid=1439

I think I have tried this before but I can always give it another shot. Make the MAC address of the router as the same as my PC computer. But then it would have problems connection to a different PC, which it doesnt. I can take the modem and transfer WUs on the other comp with no problem.

dan: It was hard enough to get cable from my parents. Another IP is not an option. And I happened to look at IPs I posted under and the community and I have had 2 since I have had cable.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited June 2003
    Did you upgrade the firmware? Have you tried installing Netbios in your Local Area Connection Properties?
    edited June 2003
    Run this command: "ipconfig /all |more" , and record your host name and your nics mac address. Put the mac info into the appropriate fields in the advanced page.

Next, go back to the router setup page and where it says Hostname, put in the host name retrieved earlier. Beneath that should be a field for "domain name". Enter "woh.rr.com ", reboot router and let me know what happens.
    edited June 2003
    Nope that didnt work. I couldnt go anywhere at all.

Firmware version: 1.44.2, Dec 13 2002

Havent tried installed NetBios, just used what came with XP.
    edited June 2003
    Not to be a pain, but did you also power down the cable modem or only the router? Some modems cache previous routes and connection info and need a powerdown to "forget". My old USR was a pain in the @#$ that way.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    MM i want you to take the DNS server addresses you see in ipconfig and enter them on the dhcp tab of the router..

Then at the command line in windows i want you to do this...

ipconfig /flushdns

then I want you to browse... when the connection slows I want you to do a tracert to the site your viewing as well as ping it.

example commands:
    ping www.shortmedia.com
    tracert www.shortmedia.com

then mark and copy it into a post so I can see it.

I want to isolate where the problems lies. If both ping and tracert come back and there are no anomolies then we can move on to your local set up.

we will fix this..

Tek
    edited June 2003
    MikeP: Still didnt work. So I cleared it.

Did as directed. And got a lot of Request timed out.