Unanswered Network problem

2»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Another try at it.
    edited June 2003
    One I should mention is that they are networked. As in my 2 PCs can share files and such. There is just no internet, which makes me think its just a setting somewhere.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    heres the deal.. your tracert.. its dying before leaving verizons network... any pages your seeing are probably cached pages.

its dropping alot of packets. I assume everything works fine with out the router?

Also have you tried setting the router to router instead of gateway??

tek
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    the ping fails for me 2 so it probably getting bounced back of a firewall or something..

here is my tracert to shortmedia...

see the difference... in ms i mean.. mine dont jump till higher which is the way its supposed to be, the farther away the higher the ping, but im sure you know this. This is 1 of 2 things...

1. verizon is hosed, not likely as i just went through roughly the same network with out issues.
    2. DNS setting somewhere are not correct or there is like you said a setting thats off.

if changing it to router does not work, then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

Also are you sure that there is not a crossover cable in the works. Im sure thats not it but gotta ask..

tek
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    after you have done all that and it dont work then I want you to put one your machines in the DMZ... put one in then rerun the tracert to short-media from that machine and post a pic.

Thanks..

Tek
    edited June 2003
    I tried going to paged I have never gone to before. I know I have not been to yahoo or lycos in a long time, at least after Temp Int files were completely cleared. It did the same thing then.

I think I tried router once but I dont remember if I rebooted or not so I can try that again.

Any by putting it in the DMZ you mean to change the 0 to 1 or 2 or something other than 0?
    Only cross cable I have is in my room and its a different color than all the rest, yellow.

And you said put it back to factory default. The only settings that I have changed are the ones done in this thread.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    MikeP: Still didnt work. So I cleared it.

Did as directed. And got a lot of Request timed out.

I'm getting the same as you. Do you suppose we are on the same network node?
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    in the advanced setup there is a tab that says DMZ host.

it says 192.168.1.x x= blank space.

I want you to enter 100 for the last octet.

Then browse with the machine with the IP of 192.168.1.100

and let me know how it goes...

Tek
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The tracert is stopping for everyone at 192.217.224.138 or wherever. The point is though that you get that far in the first place since clearly the hosts beyond that are neglecting to return the end of TTL.

The problem is still kind of ambiguous. mmonnin, are those tracerts from when your connection stops working? Do you have any more info / experience with the problem?

TekGamer, the DMZ test is going to determine if NAT is functioning properly, right?

Wait, mmonnin, can't you just hook up a single computer to the cable modem? I think that would make it clear whether or not the router is the source of the trouble.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    im sure the router is somehow related to the problem but i was waiting for MM to reply to that. Yes i wanted to check the nat..
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    EMT said
    Wait, mmonnin, can't you just hook up a single computer to the cable modem? I think that would make it clear whether or not the router is the source of the trouble.
    In his first post, he said that works okay.
    Modem is good I guess since I can download and surf like it should when hooked directly to a PC.

I agree with MikeP and would like to see the Mac Address of the NIC that works when hooked directy, cloned to the router and see what happens. I have had Comcast and Charter cable and in both instances, I had to clone the NIC Mac Address to the router.

Lot's of good ideas being posted here. Info that can be used in other instances as well.
    edited June 2003
    Oh, sorry bout that then
    edited June 2003
    Changing it to Router and not Gateway made it worse. It was automatic 'cannot find server'. It didnt even wait to time out.

I am now on the DMZ with the final Octet at 100. It started to work ok. They would load but they had a lil bit of wait like it was tring to connect and then once it was connected the page loaded like normally. I dont know if thats what it was but there was a pause before it loaded at normal speed.

Now pages are starting to not load like it was before. Not as bad tho. MSN is still connected but yahoo is having problems tho.

Modem->PC works fine.

The Tracerts were when they stopped working. I tried it again when a page loaded but it only got to like 15 again.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    try the mac from your nic in the router and take the pc out of the DMZ, by changing the last octect to 0.

after you have tested the mac cloning:

Also, this probably wont make any difference... change your dhcp address range to 192.168.1.2 - 50

then from the command line do a ipconfig /release
    then from the command line do a ipconfig /renew

tek

Oh and great to see ya MrBill

xXUSERXx
    edited June 2003
    It looked like DHCP was functioning properly I thought.

Have you tried browsing sites by IP address (to check DNS)? e.g. http://198.64.191.210/
    It may have been mentioned earlier but I don't remember a conclusive response.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    TekGamer said
    Oh and great to see ya MrBill

xXUSERXx
    Sorry I didn't recognize the new name. Howdy pardner. :)

Did you find a job yet.....I hope you did. :)
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    yeah but its part time. Im a software analyst..

Monday im going to city hall to apply for a nettech position they got open. The wife has an interview as well. Hope she gets something and I hope I can get some full time. I need comp parts bad.

As a side note I got this KT7 running stable. Well... For awhile that is. For weeks it was running great then the other night, randomly it restarts.. no bsod, just a straight restart. Thing is I did nothing to make it stable. I just booted up 1 day and it performed like I expected. Now, after a few hours of gaming I get the reboots. Im thinking either a heat related issue somewhere, proc temps are good, or a PSU issue. I got another 300w i can put in it. Its an enhance or something like that.

Tek
    edited June 2003
    Nevermind all this crap. I got a NetGear for $25 AR, plugged it in and I have been on since. Pages load like I was on the modem, speeds are the same, MSN logged on the same, and havent gotten bumped off in over an hour.

I am now a NetGear supported.

Looks pretty sexy too.;)
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2003
    mmonin: I have the exact same setup here, cable modem through a linksys router, and I had a very simlilar problem...pages wouldnt load sporadically, etc etc. It turned out that it wasnt a problem either with the modem or the router

I put up with it for a really long time, but then I realized I could never stay connected to any internet games, DoD, BF1942, etc, and that really pissed me off, so I called tech support for road runner (i also use road runner, here in austin texas) and said look, im getting sporadic disconnects without the modem going off or anything, so they sent a tech out to my site.

first thing: try a tracert next time you have that problem (go to MS-DOS prompt and say "tracert www.google.com" or whatever site, and watch where the trace starts timing out.

second thing: call tech support and insist they send a tech over to check out your line.

when i called they did a check to my address (you read off your MAC address on the modem, or give them you name/address) and theyll run a line check to your modem and check the signals. mine tested irregular, and I think yours will too, so they sent the tech out.

when he got here, he plugged his line meter straight into the cable line and said "holy ****, your signals...". turns out, the wiring in my house was total crap, and had been there for ages...the insulation was frayed off and everything. the line was so full of noise that although the modem would read "connected", packet loss was through the roof. long story short, they didnt know it was the wiring the first time, so they switched out some components in my cable box, and it didnt fix it, so i called back, and on the third technician, they just replaced the whole wire and SUPRISE it works fine. (while you're at it, make them give you the latest version of the cable modem...while it worked after they re-ran the wiring, having a new modem also helped cause it can deal better with the noise in the line). theyll give you the new modem for free if you bug them, and you trade it out.

for some reason they have a definition of acceptable packet loss, so what you can do is find the default gateway for your router (its on the status page of linksys setup) and ping it. do the following to impress the folk on the tech support line: at MS-DOS prompt, enter the following "ping (insert router's default gateway here) -t" and then let it run for a while. push ctrl-break occasionally and watch the percent packet loss. if its less than 3% they wont help ya. mine was reading 46%.

so yeah, give tech support a call, have them send a guy out to check your line, give you a new modem. it cant hurt, and i'll bet it'll solve your problem. hope this helps!

edit: they may not have to do something so drastic as replace your cable line...they can also adjust signal strength by toying with the splitter where it enters your house...different types produce different signal qualities.
    edited July 2003
    But it works now. With a new router. And it wasnt just sporatic. I couldnt go anywhere after so long. No where. And it works like it should with just the modem and no router.

I will be leaving for college next week so I wont have to worry
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2003
    well hell. guess thats what i get for not reading to see if the problem had been fixed yet. then you all may feel free to mock my tale of woe...it took 3 months to get decent internet connections.