ga7vax will not boot

edited May 2005 in Hardware
i made my PC about a year ago based around this MOBO
all has been well until now.
over the last few weeks the PC would boot but to were it detects the hard drive then the screen would go blank.

i sorted this my just restarting.
But yesterday it now will not even dectect the memory or hard drives just the athlon pro...

Please help
steve

Comments

• edited May 2004
    try putting the drive in a mates computer but set it to primary slave then see if you can analyse it for problems.
    conversely I have a 10gB hard drive that I keep for emergencies and it has an os on it I just swap drives and check out the faulty one as a slave...do you have a spare drive with an OS you can use? or borrow?
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited May 2004
    Take out your first harddrive and put another in, see whats happens, you mihgt have a bad HDD
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited May 2004
    It sounds to me like the board is dying, actually.
  • edited May 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    It sounds to me like the board is dying, actually.

That's what it sounds like to me too.
  • edited May 2005
    how long would anyone (you guys) say that the average "life span" of a mobo is seeing as ive had mine (its a ga7vax) for a little under 2.5 years... maybe mines dying as it were as well?
  • edited May 2005
    how long would anyone (you guys) say that the average "life span" of a mobo is seeing as ive had mine (its a ga7vax) for a little under 2.5 years... maybe mines dying as it were as well?

I reckon that is a "how long is a piece of string" question The Mobo itself will last forever given ideal conditions so it depends on ventilation moisture and temeperature to a great extent. Further actors would be the voltage control for the various subcircuits and how much tress was put on the onboard IC's by new higher end peripherals....all the ic's will get hot if overstressed. Finally the board will just become obsolete and unable to handle the peripherals required to process information at the speeds required of todays software. I reckon if you buy the top spec board today and expect to add every new innovation you could get 18 months out of it. IF you dont add anything at all then software advances mean you should get 5 years at least before something "pops" on theboard. 2 1/2 years is pretty good I reckon????