XP full of crap

gtghmgtghm New
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Ok I have a 20gb OS partition that untill reciently was only about 3rd full. But last night I routing around and I looked to see that the drive was almost full.
I have been able to cut it back to about half but there are still a ton of stuff on there that I wonder if I need.
Like all of the install stuff that windows updates does. Along with the uninstall stuff.
I cleared all of the logs and my temp files but I'm left wondering how much of that crap needs to stay.
Is there a creaditable program or windows app that can figure out the stuff that is not needed and the stuff that is...
I can do it my self but I'm not sure what I need and what I don't...
I know that I don't want Norton clean sweep... It's been known to cause lots of problems...

Thanks
"g"

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    You should save a system restore point if everything is working okay, then run Disk Cleanup. That allows you to delete all kinds of temporary files and also all the uninstall files for update.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    format and reinstall. best way to clean out the crap. It'll run faster, boot faster, and be more stable after a clean install to boot.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2003
    Geeky1 said
    format and reinstall. best way to clean out the crap. It'll run faster, boot faster, and be more stable after a clean install to boot.

I new some one was going to say that... lol

"g"
  • MarkTAWMarkTAW Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2003
    Not quite on topic, but check out SpaceMonger.

It shows you visually every file on your hard drive. You can immediately figure out which directories are over-stuffed with temp files or pr0n and when it's time to tranfer those mp3's to your iPod.
    edited July 2003
    gtghm... with the number of times I've said that, by now I would've thought you'd have posted a warning to the effect of "Geeky1: no, I am NOT formatting and reinstalling." :D;D

My be-all, end-all software problem solver.
    Format C: (return)
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2003
    Hey geeky1, Check out the new sig... :tongue:;D

Late,
    "g"
    edited July 2003
    ROFLMAO! Shouldn't have said anything... :rolleyes::D;D
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    For future consideration:

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

There is an important poll being taken on the site:

What do you think about XPlite disabling Windows File Protection?
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2003
    MarkTAW said
    Not quite on topic, but check out SpaceMonger.

It shows you visually every file on your hard drive. You can immediately figure out which directories are over-stuffed with temp files or pr0n and when it's time to tranfer those mp3's to your iPod.

Hey I gotta give a hardy two thunbs up on that little progy.

I found that I had forgotten to delete a gig file that I was using to time file transfers, along with the hyber file and other stuff.

Great progy,
    "g"
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    Hey I gotta give a hardy two thunbs up on that little progy.

I second that. Spinner should add this one to the downloads.:thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Totally agreed.

SpaceMonger found 3 1.6GB temp files that were safe to delete.