GeForce 4 Ti4200 to 9800 Pro, big difference?

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have the chance to buy a brand new built by ATI 9800 pro retail packaged for $180. My biggest question is whether or not I'll be able to tell a difference between that and my current card, GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb 4x AGP. If this is going to be a night and day difference then I'll go ahead and do it. If it'll just be a mediocre difference than I don't know if it's worth it. I play MOH:AA, COD, BF1942 occasionally and that's about it.

If this buyer ever decides to contact me on my auction than I think I'll deffinetly go ahead and pick it up. But, any opinions you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-DaK

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    My guess is your 3DMark scores should go from what, about 8-10k (?) to 15-20k with a 9800 Pro. It should be quite a substantial difference.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    You'll be able to run all those games at 1280 with full details.
  • edited June 2004
    Benchmarks never really meant much to me, it's what I can notice.

I currently run MOH at 1024 with all the settings maxed out, COD is at the same resolution not real sure on the settings. Anyone done a similar upgrade?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Yes, I've done a similar upgrade. It is a very definite and noticeable difference.
  • edited June 2004
    Yes, I've done a similar upgrade. It is a very definite and noticeable difference.

Excellent. Thanks :).
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I did it also and it looked way better and ran maxed settings perfectly as opposed to running backed-off settings "just OK". This is a rather substantial jump!!!
  • edited June 2004
    IMHO, if you game any and you're not visually challenged then, yes, you'll notice a rather abrupt difference.
    For the better I might add (as much as it pains me to give props to ATI) and the 9800Pro 128 can be found pretty dang cheap new...in the area of $160 or so on Pricewatch.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2004
    i did the exact same grade when my to4200 stopped working, i used to run all my games in 800X600 with 2X AA on when i got the Radeon i can now run 1280X1024 with 4x AA and all the settign set to max, the radeon is supirior in every way
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited August 2005
    If you're going to spend $180 on a 9800 Pro, it would be a better move to get a newer card, the eVGA GeForce 6800 is $162 from MonarchComputer after a $20 rebate (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=190140) or $185 shipped with no rebate from ZipZoomFly (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322687) and it has a reputation for being able to unlock the extra shader and pipelines without a problem. eVGA is very quick as processing their rebates. It took them less than a month to confirm my rebate and notify me via email.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Nosferatu wrote:
    If you're going to spend $180 on a 9800 Pro, a better move might be to get a newer card...
    I doubt those newer cards were available fifteen months ago when he first raised the question. ;)
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited August 2005
    LOL, doh! I didn't notice the date. I was wondering why he'd want to spend $180 on a 9800 Pro at this point in time. ;D Now i'm confused how I even made it to a thread this old in the first place! :scratch:
    edited August 2005
    I was wondering about the $180 myself. I figured that must be some terrific "retail package". ;D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    Geeky1 wrote:
    My guess is your 3DMark scores should go from what, about 8-10k (?) to 15-20k with a 9800 Pro. It should be quite a substantial difference.
    my 3dmark05 score with my 9800pro is like 3,000 :p

$180 for a new 9800pro? you got ripped off. I'm planning on selling mine for $80, if I even get that.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Pilot your an idiot.
    edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Pilot your an idiot.
    That was not nice. :cool:

Pilotwings - you might want to read through the whole thread... :mullet:
    edited August 2005
    yeah i read the whole thread and I see that it was from a long time ago. I don't see how I'm an idiot though... thanks :shakehead
    edited August 2005
    Wingsta, all those cards cost a lot more in June of 2004 than they do now. Wait fifteen months and that X800Pro you just bought for $182 will be selling for $80, too. :)
    edited August 2005
    haha okay

thanks for actually explaining it to me :cool:
  • edited August 2005
    Ha, well to give you guys a bit of an update (since you're so interested in my computer upgrading life ;D ) I skipped the 9800 Pro upgrade and went straight to a 6800 "Ultra". :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    dak125 wrote:
    ...I skipped the 9800 Pro upgrade and went straight to a 6800 "Ultra". :thumbsup:
    There's nothing like a happy ending to a long and sometimes sorrowful tale. :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    dak125 wrote:
    Ha, well to give you guys a bit of an update (since you're so interested in my computer upgrading life ;D ) I skipped the 9800 Pro upgrade and went straight to a 6800 "Ultra". :thumbsup:
    I bet that gave you a nose bleed! ;)