Ic_11

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
Hey guys, sorry for the downtime in IC_11's production. I've been moving. Right now there are too many unanswered questions for me to guarantee IC_11 a stable connection and a fitting home, so Prime is going to keep an eye on it for us for a little while. It could be a few weeks or a few months, it's too early to tell right now.

IC_11 should be in the mail via FedEx tomarrow. Wish it luck on it's journey :D

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Sorry to hear that, but thank you for contacting us about it. It's better than running off and then we wonder what happened...

Prime, take care of IC-11...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    She'll be folding away in a merry little climate controlled server room, right next to her younger brother, SM18... And of course, she'll be waiting for you when you get solid again :)
    edited June 2004
    The SMJ got SM18, right?
    edited June 2004
    yep.. He has SM18.. Mom & Dad kind of got concerned about the electric bill, so he moved it to the office. He posted about it around a month ago, I believe.
    edited June 2004
    Well I got IC11 in today.

It will not boot, period :(

I highly suspect shipping damage. The packaging was good, Garg... But there was a broken plastic tab in the case rattling around which made me suspect a couple of drops/throws from a truck/etc.... I tried my bag of tricks, including a different processor, removing the mobo and trying it out of the case, different mem, clear cmos, etc, you name it. I highly suspect the mobo is dead due to physical trauma.

I have a KT7-A RAID 1.2, which will only support a t-bird 1.4 at the highest. I don't think this is a good long term solution....

What should I do?

//edit: when I say "no boot" i mean nothing - fans turn on, but no beeps, no post, nothing.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    God damn ****tards!!! The USPS has my K7D because they ****ed it up.

Brian, if you could, take it all apart and diagnose the ****ed up part. Garg will NOT be happy, IC11 was his baby.
    edited June 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    God damn ****tards!!! The USPS has my K7D because they ****ed it up.

Brian, if you could, take it all apart and diagnose the ****ed up part. Garg will NOT be happy, IC11 was his baby.

Well yeah, that's what I did all day, and I am 99% sure it's the motherboard. It's not the memory or processor.
    edited June 2004
    Ok well if you are sure its the motherboard and it was insured then we could try to get a refund for it. However that much may be.
    edited June 2004
    I was going to donate a KG7-RAID...
    edited June 2004
    YOUR MY HERO Quinton!!!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    :banghead:

Well it was insured for up to $100. Think we can convince them that the AK-31 was worth it? :D After all, the whole computer is broke without a working motherboard. (Some good will come of this, dammit)
    edited June 2004
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I was going to donate a KG7-RAID...

It'd be a pity to let the RAID go to waste...

I have another half dozen 1.6gb drives like the one that's in there. Raid 10 anybody? :D
    Actually RAID 1 for some data protection wouldn't be a bad idea, these are pretty old drives.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Gargoyle wrote:
    :banghead:

Well it was insured for up to $100. Think we can convince them that the AK-31 was worth it? :D After all, the whole computer is broke without a working motherboard. (Some good will come of this, dammit)
    Don't know how you shipped it but when I was shipping my pc parts to the lan party in detroit, I found out that to claim the insurance, there has to be visual damage.
  • edited June 2004
    NO, I CAN'T BELEIVE UPS killed my old mobo!!!! :mean::rarr: And that was a damn sweet combo of proc and board in there too. :bawling:

QCH, that KG7-R should work just fine in the case though. I donated mine to get SM20 up and running and she'sdoing good for "g".

Another thought would be to buy a refurb mobo at the egg for it. They have a Biostar M7NCD nf2 board for $36 shipped and it would cost QCH at least $10 shipping his mobo.Just a thought. :)
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I can make visible damage on the board if it comes to that... It's no lie, the thing was destroyed in shipping. If I have to break a cap off to claim insurance or whatever, then I'll do it. There's no reason people should have to shell out cash for the shipper's fault. That's why we got insurance.

Garg, forward me all the claim info and we'll go from there.
    edited June 2004
    That last post was me. -tk was logged into my computer last night and I didn't notice....
    edited June 2004
    I've got my receipts and stuff here, what info do you need? I could also scan them if needed.

The FedEx tracking number is 041876410034808

The only thing that confuses me is that on the form I filled out (and have a carbon copy of), I declared a value of $100. On the receipt, it says no value declared. If you can't get anywhere with FedEx, I might have to go round and round with the PostNet company I shipped it from.
    edited June 2004
    Posting from the "new" IC_11 :) :woowoo:

We put an old KT7-A Raid in there, and lo and behold, it worked. Same processor, same everything else.

Right now I have the mobo set to recognize it as an 1800+, so technically it's overclocked to 1533mhz right now.

We'll see how she runs for 24 hours and then maybe try to crank it a bit.

I'd still like a replacement board, since this KT7A-RAID is a company board and was never slated for donation to the project.

But for now, she folds :)
    edited June 2004
    BTW: I slightly modified the desktop, Gargy :rarr:
    edited June 2004
    I'll try to get my KG7-RAID board out this week. Where/ who do I send it too? I also plan on shipping out the AMD 1400 that is in SM19 as I plan on "donating" a AMD XP1800+ (She needs a kick in the CPU to keep up with her siblings) to her.
    edited June 2004
    Well, I'll leave it to the parts manager, but the most efficient way would be to send it directly to me. But let's see what Kwitko has to say.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    QCH, send the board right to prime and the proc to me.
    edited June 2004
    BTW: I slightly modified the desktop, Gargy :rarr:

Excellent :D. Glad to see my baby is chompin' on proteins again. :fold:

When you switch chipsets to the KG7, Windows is likely to have a cow. I've got a registry file somewhere that I got from the MS Support site that helps to address the problem of BSOD stop errors when changing chipsets. If you're familiar with the problem and are already on top of it, cool, otherwise let me know and I'll see if I can find that file.

Then again, if you have to format, there's really nothing to lose except the wallpaper and the current WU.

You want another HD to set up in RAID 1 on that thing?
    edited June 2004
    I've got a spare HD to make a RAID 1 :)

I'll probably reinstall it when I get the motherboard.
    edited July 2004
    bump.... I need my motherboard back :)
    edited July 2004
    Sorry... I'll get it to you this week... well, I'll mail it this week. PM me your new address.
    edited July 2004
    I'm posting from the "new" IC11 - with a KG7-RAID thanks to QCH2002 :D

Everything went smoothly.. Now, back to folding. Every key I hit takes 1% away from FAHCORE78.EXE :rarr:
    edited July 2004
    Sweet!!!