windows won't start!!!

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Everytime I try to start my computer I get a blue screen that says windows can't start. Then below that is says
MOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

It then tells me to try and start my computer in safe mode. When I do this I get the same error!! I put in the WindowsXP cd and restart but I get the same thing. I have read on the internet to boot up with the windows cd but when I put it in the cd drive and start up my computer, it doesn't run the cd. How do I get it to run the windows cd? Can anyone please help me, I am desperate here??? Thank you!!!

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    in your bios you have to set the option to boot from your CDROM drive. then boot up and choose to repair windows xp
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    You'll have to change the setting in BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive. When you start your PC, hit DEL or ESC or F1 to get into BIOS. Usually there's a menu with hard drives or boot order. If you know your motherboard maker, someone with a similar one could tell you which menu it's in.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    First off... To get the system to boot from CD First you need to get into the BIOS. When you first turn on the system, you need to press a key that tells the system to go into the BIOS. Hopefully, when you turn the system on, the screen will tell you what key to press. The "key" is usually "F1", "F2", or "Del".... One of those should work.

Once you get into the BIOS, you will need to read to figure out how your BIOS navigates. Dell systems seem to be going with scrolling down a long list and then "turning pages" to get to other settings... pain. Other systems are easier... left arrow over to different tabs... Either way, the bottom of the screen should give you an idea how your BIOS works. What you will need to do is navigate to the "BOOT" screen or a field that says something like "Boot Order" and make sure that the CD-ROM is listed as first. Then save the configuration and restart the system. Keep an eye open for the "Press any key to Boot from CD..." and then press a key. That should get the XP CD to start.

Try that and get back to us if you need more help.....

BTW... if you haven't heard yet but Short-Media is undergoing a project to help Stanford University with research for cancer and Alzheimer's disease...
    Check this out...
  • edited June 2004
    Okay, I went into bios and changed this. Then I ran the windows boot disk and did the steps I got from someone on how to fix it. They were the following
    1. run windows cd, enter setup, press R.
    2. type chkdsk, (it went through the check and said it found one error, next I typed fixboot like the directions I had told me to. I enter yes when it asked if I was sure I wanted to do this.
    I then restarted windows and now I am getting a whole new error when the computer gets to the blue welcome screen:
    RUNTIME ERROR
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINLOGON.EXE

So does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I would do a repair install. Instead of choosing the option to "repair Windows using recovery console" continue on with "install windows" and then choose the "repair installation" option...
  • rcracingfan24rcracingfan24 Los Angeles
    edited July 2005
    I can't start windows either, but for a different reason. I have a Windows XP Pro Installation disc, but it doesn't have the repair-install option. What should i do?