XP Auto Logging Off

edited October 2006 in Hardware
Last night had XP start auto-logging off when you sign on.
It goes thru the log-on process fine, shows micro-second
of the desktop and then logs the user immediately off. It
does it in the safe mode and normal modes. Last known
working does not work either. Suggestions?

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    download memtest86+ on another computer, install it to a floppy, run it

alternatively, try a repair install of windows XP.

if your memory isn't the problem, theres probably a borked system file
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2004
    I'd reverse the order on The Baron's advice: a repair install first, then Memtest if that fails. It doesn't sound like a memory issue....

Dexter...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I had that problem when virtual memory got turned off.

Which leads me to believe it's that or a memory issue as previously stated.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I'd stick with Baron's advice, as you always do the simple stuff in troubleshooting and work your way to the drastic.
  • edited June 2004
    Trekky8472 wrote:
    I had that problem when virtual memory got turned off.

Which leads me to believe it's that or a memory issue as previously stated.

What'd you do to fix it?
  • edited June 2004
    How long does memtest take? Its been running 18 hours so far.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    if its been running 18 hours and you have no errors then your memory is not the problem. its repair install time
  • edited June 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    if its been running 18 hours and you have no errors then your memory is not the problem. its repair install time

How do you repair install?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    1. Boot from your WinXP CD
    2. Press F-6 at the prompt if you have any RAID drivers to install and have a floppy with those drivers available (if it applies to you)
    3. Select partition for Windows installation (select the same partition where Windows already resides)
    4. Select install. The next screen will give options for the installation. One of those options will be "Repair" installation. Select it.

The repair installation leaves your data and customized Windows settings intact. The repair will overwrite operating system files that have been corrupted; it will write OS files that are missing.

As your computer starts to process the Windows XP installation program, it will give you an option for "Repair Console" - this is NOT what you want. You need repair installation .

When you are done, you will need to perform a Windows Update for all the service packs/and or updates that are not on your Windows CD.
  • edited June 2004
    Thank you guys every much, got it going!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Outstanding! XP repair installation is one of the best tricks ever devised by Microsoft.
  • edited October 2006
    Hey guys, the same thing is happening to me...im kind of a noob at windows xp, so how do you boot your winxp cd without logging in? F-8? :scratch:

Btw: it is not booting when i start my comp up.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Sbillups wrote:
    ...how do you boot your winxp cd without logging in?...
    Go into the BIOS and set the cdrom drive as the first boot device. When you restart the computer, watch the screen carefully for a message to "press any key to boot from CD". :)