It looks like Dothan procs kick ass!!

edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
I got my new laptop in yesterday evening and after getting everything installed and somewhat updated, I installed the console client and EMIII and tried this critter out on folding. Well, it drew a 47 point p549_BBA5 for it's first WU and it smoked through it at an average of 5:17 per frame, including 2 reboots while folding. That is 29 seconds/frame faster than a Barton at 2300 on a KM400 platform and 13 seconds/frame faster than a mobile 2400 on an A7N8X running at 2280. :thumbsup:

And this is on a laptop where there are no options in bios to optimize the ram or anything too. Seeing this really makes me want a desktop board using the i875 or i865 chipset for these procs, where you can get even better performance and makes me want Intel to start making desktop Dothans on a 200 fsb right now. :)

EDIT: This is a Dothan 2.0, FYI.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I have folded on a friends 1.9 P'M' and I'll second your comments.
    It looks like Intell has done something right.
    Now they just have to admit that P4 is a boat anchor and move on.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Maybe it'll help you prolong the inevitable, mudd :rarr:.... but I'd still try to get some more boxes if you can :D
  • edited June 2004
    :whatever::rolleyes:

I'm also running crippled too; one of my dually's is down with a blown psu and even after I get the RMA psu back from Antec, I still don't know for sure if the psu didn't take out the mobo and procs yet. :rant:

I'll probably take the procs out of that board and drop them into the K7D-L tonight and test them and leave them in it. When I get the replacement psu back from Antec, I'll drop my mobile 2400's into the Asus board after making sure it's operating properly with the Tbred A 1700's I'm pulling from the K7D-L.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Mudd, An embarrasment of riches.
    "Oh my, which dual system should I work on next".
    If it wasn't for such a great cause I would be sick. (with envy)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    "Oh my, which dual system should I work on next".

Hey mudd, you have that problem too? ;D;D

How about running 3dmark2001se & 2003 on that notebook?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I'm a couple of notches down from that:

"Hmmm.. That P3/500 wouldn't fold THAT badly...."
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    I noticed it was at 0 days last night sometime.

Hey, thats how Jammin got way up there. P2s and P3s all over da place. I remember he had Quad P2s that kicked some ass.
  • edited June 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    Hey mudd, you have that problem too? ;D;D

How about running 3dmark2001se & 2003 on that notebook?

Yeah, I'll be doing some benches later today on it. I ran a few quickies last night and it looked pretty good for a laptop.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    that is awesome for dothan 2.0 by all means ...but 29 secs faster per frame than the barton 2300? you might look into that barton.
  • edited June 2004
    No Chris, that's a difference in chipsets and fsb speeds. That machine is on a KM400 chipset board and the proc has been modded to a 16 multiplier, so it's only running on a 144 fsb and the chipset is also single channel only. You have yours running at over 200 fsb and I imagine you are running DC too. I would try running a faster fsb speed by modding the proc but my ram in there is only pc2100 so I would have to run asynch to do it. As it is now, I can run that Crucial at that speed at 2-2-2-6 timings. Also, the KM400 chipset has integrated gfx so I imagine that steals a few cycles too.
    edited June 2004
    ah didn't realize the chipset/fsb/dc made that much difference.
    well you still got good reliable folders there!

oh yeah my volts are at 1.675v also ...your's are really high. my machine would fry at those volts right now in this summer heat.

I'll be getting with you sometime to consult on watercooling.
  • edited June 2004
    Yeah, fsb and chipset do make a measurable difference, as well as memory speed with Gromacs work. Not a giant difference, but definitely measurable. The vcore on that proc is hard coded because hat VA-10 mobo doesn't have adjustable vcore in bios, which I didn't know when I bought the board. So I just hard coded 1.85v on the proc, which is an older unlocked desktop 2500. I could probably back the vcore down to around 1.00-1.825v, but I'd have to do it by changing the hard coding or by the wire in the socket trick, which is a PITA because either way I have to remove the hsf. My temps run around 53C folding on it though so I'm not too worried about it.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2004
    hmmm...

My new Xeon 2.66ghz is taking 6:20 per frame on a P546 (47 pointer). Seems like it should be faster than that. :(

I installed Win98SE so I could get it up and running until I get a copy of WinXP-Pro. I wonder if that has any affect on it?
  • edited June 2004
    I wouldn't think so, MrBill. That protein is an old one though; Just checked a few rigs and it was first released a year ago, according to EMIII.
    edited June 2004
    MrBill wrote:
    hmmm...

My new Xeon 2.66ghz is taking 6:20 per frame on a P546 (47 pointer). Seems like it should be faster than that. :(

I installed Win98SE so I could get it up and running until I get a copy of WinXP-Pro. I wonder if that has any affect on it?
    is it hyperthreaded?
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2004
    csimon wrote:
    is it hyperthreaded?
    Yes, but Win98 doesn't support multiple procs to my knowledge (which is VERY limited).

Should I turn off hyperthreading until I get XP-Pro installed?
  • edited June 2004
    csimon wrote:
    is it hyperthreaded?

I'm pretty sure it's a HT proc. MrBill doesn't have a copy of XP Pro so I think he put 98 on just for testing and burn in purposes. I also think he's waiting on a RMA on his second Xeon, which had some severely bent pins when he received it.