Oh noes! I got a tinker! Is it coincidence??

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited June 2004 in Folding@Home
Ok, take a look at this. I found this pretty wierd. You'll see in the picture I attach there are quite a few odd things involved with this tinker WU. I've drawn rectangles on everything I found odd. Here we go... :rolleyes:

Am I the only person that finds it odd that Console One got it's first tinker after it turned in it's 64th WU? It's 65th WU, this tinker, requires core_65.exe. This is only the second tinker this computer has ever recieved, but the first for Console One. Notice it just downloaded the new core. :mean: This is only my second tinker. The first one I got back when I was using a graphical client. :wtf::aol:

Now this is where I'm really confused. I'm on a P4 HT machine, but somehow experiencing GREATER average point production with the tinker than the gromacs?? I just don't see how that is possible 'cause of course, this being an Intel machine, I've got no 3DNow! instructions. I know it can't be wrong because gromacs are almost all I get, aside from the occasional double gromacs, and with gromacs I average 520-580 PPW depending on the specific WU. :confused2

Also, my temperatures with this tinker are fluctuating quite a bit. Though I think it might be because Console Two just started it's 61st WU. (I hope it doesn't get one when it hits #65... lol) I think that is the cause because now the temp is fluctuating quite a bit less.

Well this sucks. Both of these WU's, even the gromacs, are new to this machine. I usually only get p924's. This gromacs WU is taking longer than others to fold, so I don't think I'll get anything turned in today. Exept for the puny 22 point WU that the PIII managed to get in early this morning. My production was up SO HIGH above normal recently. Now it's gonna take a HUGE nosedive. :banghead: If I'm lucky (that is, if I don't game much), this comuter will manage to turn this damned thing in late Wedensday. :banghead: And hopefully I won't receive another ANY TIME SOON!!

Sorry if it's kinda big!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    All my home systems (Sys. 1, Sy2, and another Athlon 2500+) have Stinkers right now. Of course, the Athlons are more productive; but the drop in points on System 1's two instances of tinker operations is making my production plummet.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    I'm in the same boat. Both my home systems have tinkers right now. 2nd one in a row on my Prescott system too (both WUs now). I guess there are more tinkers to be done right now.

Sure hurts on this Prescott though.

The other wierd thing is both my systems seem to be pulling the exact same WU too. This is the 3rd time for that to happen. I checked the logs again and they do show different machine IDs. Credit is also coming out right I believe so I'm not too worried about it.
    edited June 2004
    seem to be pulling the exact same WU too
    Would that be 393?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    Leo I still want to know how the hell you're getting double my output on your 2.8c with exactly the same WU's. 700 mhz should NOT double its performance... but maybe
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    Umm... Baron. A 2.8c 700MHz faster than yours makes yours 2.1GHz. I've never seen a 2.1GHz processor with HT. That could be the difference.

...Just a thought...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2004
    his is OC'd to 3.5
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Leonardo wrote:
    Would that be 393?

Yep it would be 393. The protein they are calling out is p638_L939_K12M_ext.

The run numbers are different so I guess they aren't really the same. Just looks like it.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Is the PPW still the same now. I am wondering since sometimes EM3 will not give the right stats if is the first frame or so. I noticed you were on the first frame of gromac WU.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Go tinkers go. I love 'em. Of course all of my boxes are AMD.
    Points, I need more points.....
    edited June 2004
    Stanford's gone nutso - well, at least the assignment server. The only Gromac assigned with my four home CPUs now is on an Athlon! Go figure. ;D

I want my Double Gromacs back! :mean:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    Heck I'll give you some of mine. Out of 8 clients I have 2 tinkers and those are the 128 pointers which are like gromacs on AMDs point wise.