Who Wants SM18

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited July 2003 in Folding@Home
As always here are the rules for hosting a SMx rig.

1) Team member must be in good standing and have shown dedication to Team Short-Media, former Team Icrontic, and the Folding@Home project for the long haul. Past participation and contributions are taken into account.

2) The member must be able to provide SM18 with a safe and secure environment for an extended period of time - this means an indeterminate period.

3) You must be knowledgeable in building computers and loading operating systems, and all that is entailed. You are at Short-Media.com, there is a wealth of knowledge, use it. In the event the rig should fail, the host is expected to make a good effort in trying to repair the rig and report to the team what is going on.

4) Dedicated, "always-on" Internet connection 24/7, 56K and up, and a free port on an existing network (we don't normally supply routers/hubs/switches with the SMx rig). If the internet connection should fail, the host is expected to make good faith efforts to get back online as soon as is possible.

5) The computer must run and as a result, "Fold" 24/7. (Yes, the Team is generous enough to allow you to go on vacation and turn it off.) Keep in mind that 24-hour operating will increase your electricity bill by up to a few dollars per month. The Team expects the host to make good faith efforts to keep the rig running as much as is possible.

6) The computer shall fold for Team #93, under the user name of "SMx" exclusively unless it has been voted on to make it differently. The team can/will monitor the rigs output by way of statistics provided by Stanford, Statsman and the like.

7) In the event the host can no longer host the SMx rig or he/she is not able to run the rig for an extended period of time due to things like being called to duty in the armed forces for example, it is to be found a new host by normal host selection process.

8) What does the host get out of this? The pride of being able to host a SMx Folding rig, one of very few to earn this privilege. To be able to help Team Short-Media be the best team and the F@H project find cures.

Disclaimer;
- All Team-donated parts that go into a SMx donated Folding@Home computer are property of the Short-Media.com Folding@Home Team.
- Short-Media.com, and/or its owner(s), and/or administrator(s), and/or moderator(s), and/or member(s), shall not be held responsible or liable for any losses incurred either directly, or indirectly as a result of hosting any SMx rig. The host selected shall bear full responsibility for said rig. By applying to be selected as a host, you acknowledge you understand, agree with, and will abide by these rules as set forth here and as may be amended in the future as required.

NOTE; This entire project and the rules set forth above is/are based on TRUST. We, the team, trust that you, the host, will do all you can to keep the rig folding as much as is possible, in its name, for the Short-Media.com Folding Team. You, the host, trust, that we, Team Short-Media, support you in every way we can.

So anyone that can meet the requirements posted above and would like to host such a machine, please enter your name in the 'hat' and a host will be picked in a week depending on the number of entries.

Any other useful info like internet connection, hosting facilities, and experience would help the committee greatly in choosing a host for SM18.

So who wants SM18? Its an ECS K7S5A with 1700+. It could be one of the fastest SMx machines...:D

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Can I nominate my wife or kids? Man! I'll never get to host an SM rig!!!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    :usflag:

:fold: Put me in for this one... I like the number 18 so much better that 17.
    (Probably because I did not receive that SM17... hmmm, a therapist could tell, I'm sure.... ):fold:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Conflict of interest.

Most users would not want to ship across the UK. Canada is also expensive.

If you wish to donate parts to this team and the cause, we will not refuse.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited July 2003
    I must say, if I could I would love to give IC1 a SMx brother. ;)
  • edited July 2003
    Please put my name in the hat.
    edited July 2003
    Members in the hat:

QCH2002
    TheSmJ
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    John: those are noble ideas, but I already have the honor of hosting a SM rig :)

I would never want to take the chance away from a deserving forum member. The SMx project is a fantastic team-building exercise and I am just joking around when I act sad that I'll never get one :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    John's idea is great but I have to go with Prime's thoughts :)

SM16's (homed in the UK by Necropolis) CPU, board, graphics and memory were donated by me. At that time, I voluntarily choose not to be put in the hat for it. Il always decline if another UK box was ever suggested.

I would rather it went to a deserving member than an admin :)

I have a few boxes folding away for the team. Im happy with that :thumbsup:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    And since I have one on broadband also, I am staying out of the hat. I am not doubling my broadband costs to legally host a pair on the web-- sorry. Yes, understand now. Good.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2003
    I'm in... Dedicated 24/7 cable modem, just bought a house, have router, a few spare parts like, fans, couple of older CDroms and stuff.

Built several machines for my self and friends, Loaded MS OS's plenty of times. Not too familuar with any other OS but I can learn if required.

Been folding for a while now. Dedicated to the program as my Grandmother is suffering from alsymers and I know first hand what a horrible desease it is.

Thanks,
    "g"
    edited July 2003
    Ageek: Why would another machine double broaband costs? I can have one computer or up to 255 (router limits) and it would cost the same. If you pay by the bandwidth, FAH doesnt take much.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Ageek, get a router. Your ISP won't support it, but they won't bust you on it either. I don't know an ISP that has ever complained, unless you have some sort of super-special connection that nobody else has. Besides the bandwidth that a folding machine takes up is little to none, perhaps a meg or two a month.
    edited July 2003
    Ageek,

I'm not sure where you live but my ISP charges for the connection and overall usage not the number of systems access it. Folding hardly uses any bandwidth at all. I figure 2 WU a day is less than any of Microsofts patches :D

I have a Linux Firewall (www.astaro.com - Free) that hooks up to my Cable modem. That MAC address is logged but my other 3 PC are behind the firewall. When I work on PC's (my side job) I can have upto 8 PC's all downloading at the same time... it is sure sweet.

If you want to have the honor to host SM18, Electricity should be a bigger concern than bandwidth.

FYI... for info on my qualifications for hosting SM18.... see the SM-17 thread ( <a href="http://short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=559&quot; target="_blank"> <b>HERE</b></a> )
    edited July 2003
    If you are behind a router the ISP sees one MAC address, the router's.

My ISP charges to have more than one computer hooked up ($10 more). I went with the one computer setup and networked them myself.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited July 2003
    so the one box is your router... as far as they know atleast. i dont understand the problem
    edited July 2003
    Mine is an $10 for a "network" or w/e they want to call it. With a router the One AND Only IP that gets out is the external IP of the router. Thats it.

Multiple computers have different internal IPs. .101 .102 .103..... but use the same IP when contacting the internet. When the data comes back to the router, the router translates it with NAT and will send it to the right PC. All your ISP will know is that your one MAC address that you have now, will change which could be do to a NIC change. Simple as that.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited July 2003
    well said, mmonnin. tis exactly how mine is. ive got roadrunner, you?
    edited July 2003
    sorry guys... I sure hope that my isp does't start down the same road as yours...
  • edited July 2003
    Ageek, just install 2 nics in a Win 2k machine and use ICS through the second nic into a switch. That's one of the things that microsoft actually has done a great job on in their OS's. I'm using ICS on my satellite broadband to get 8 rigs folding and all I'm using is 1 IP address from Direcway; all the other rigs use NAT with ICS. As a matter of fact, that is the only way to get more than 1 machine up on the net with Direcway 2-way broadband as the modems also rely on software on the host machine for uploads and downloads.
    edited July 2003
    Muddocker is right. I had Directway one-way (Satellite download and phone upload) which sucked and it used USB ONLY to connect to a PC that navigated the info from the internet. Internet Connection Service is the way to go.
    edited July 2003
    Film: I aslo have RR at home and the apartment at college.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Im gonna put my name in the hat again... i will say that I cant take delivery for the first week or so of August... Im going home for awhile .. but other than that im more than willing to take SM18 on...

24/7 Cable internet w/ 24/7 power and teh MAD compu-skills :)

let the games begin :)
  • edited July 2003
    Out of curiosity, when will the polls close and the votes be tallied?

Also, I figured I should repost the info I gave for SM17:

I am fully A+ certified (Passed both Hardware and software tests with flying colors). I have many spare parts lying around the house that could be used incase of a breakdown/burnout, including many extra cables of all types, mice, keyboards, video cards, hard drives, really everything besides, a mobo, case, and CPU.

My main monitor (the P1100) has a second input connection ready for a second PC. Adding the box to my home would literally be no trouble at all… As I would keep the box in my bedroom (situated in the basement) it would stay safe, dry, and cool. My bedroom is already setup for adding such a machine, including the extra Ethernet port ready to go! I’d just sit next to my main rig (also folding 24/7).

Also I should add that the comp will be connected to the 1000VA UPS I'm planning on picking up today.

[/self promotion] :vimp:
    edited July 2003
    Members have a week to enter their name and then we will start the selection.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    best of luck to all thos who enter...id put my name in the hat but im on my restricted budget plan...which consists of using less electricity to save for the baby on the way and test driving cars that i will have to buy then that can fit two carseats in the backseat ;)

NOW GET UR NAMES IN TEH HAT!!...1700+ nice folding machine

fc
  • redoulentredoulent Michigan
    edited July 2003
    me me me me me me!!!! I want IC2...oh wait, my bad, flashbacks :crazy:
    edited July 2003
    redoulent said
    me me me me me me!!!! I want IC2...oh wait, my bad, flashbacks :crazy:
    Hehe

4 Members so far:

QCH2002
    TheSmJ
    gtghm
    mondi

Only a few more days.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    QCH2002
    TheSmJ
    gtghm
    mondi
    Damn, this is already going to be a hard one :werr:
    edited July 2003
    I see that many of the applicants are listing there ability to house the great and mighty SM18.... OK, I must add my list then.

1.5 MBs Cable modem to an Astaro (Linux) Firewall to an 8 Port Intel 10/100 Switch, of which 5 ports are open.

I have a 4 port KVM (D-Link) with all 4 open. I have a UPS Backup dedicated for all my PC's and one extra for SM18.

My computer area is in the basement on a self made rack system with a 35" TV in the center (gotta have other things to do while down working on PC's). I have a new home with no leaks in the basement and the house is air conditioned most of the time since my wife and daughter do not like heat and humidity.

In other words... SM18 would be folding 24/7; 365 days a year and unlimited (and secure due to firewall) access to upload and download Folding data.
    edited July 2003
    My router cost me $25 AR. It sends out bandwidth to whoever needs it. And the cable line will limit my bandwidth WAY before the router's bandwidth will limit me.

If you are worried about the time to set one up and not being able to work on other peoples machines...you must be losing lots of money spending time on the forums. Oh and all I did was plug it all in and mine worked, once at home and at my apartment. Plug it in, go to the bathroom, come back and it will work. Do you not have time to go pee?