aspire power supplies

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Anyone had hands on feedback on one of these or seen reviews of one?

Tex

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2004
    Ok I went and nabbed a 500 watt one. I'll let you know how it does voltage wise. I half bought it because its killer looking, has a clear cover, dual led fans etc.. green neon cable sleeving on all the ATX and molex cables etc... speed adjustable fans etc..

I needed a cool looking one for the clear acrylic blue case I havae that I was trying to finish gathering parts for so I could swap the amd64 3200+ chip and red msi neo MB into. It was cheaper then me getting a cheap 600 watt and adding clear covers, led fans, and sleaving to all the connectors even not factoring in the shipping.

Tex
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2004
    I wonder if the prettyness is trying to make up for a lack elsewhere.
    edited June 2004
    They are not cheap. The main differance from the specs is the amps on each of the lines. Their 12volt is much better then others with their wattage.

here is the page at svc.

http://www.svc.com/as50alsemops2.html

You must remember I have had way way more probs with my enermax and antec psu's then all the 20 buck 600 watt ebay ones I been buying.

both the dual opterons and the opteron single and amd64bit 3200+ run off 20 bucks psu's that hold perfect voltage.

BUT !!!! I regulate the power going into them with huge tripp-lite voltage regulaters which makes their job much easier.

Tex
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2004
    Aspire is considered a cheap/cost effective but fine solution here in Denmark.
    Much better than a generic PSU.
    The popularity has increased during the last couple of months.
    It doesn't beat a good Antec though.

Over here we have another manufacturer called Levicom.
    They make PSU that are 100% identical to Aspire, the price is one third higher though.
    I have a theory that Aspire is Levicom in the U.S.
    You do not have any Levicom over there at all, do you?
    Levicom is german BTW.

Here's a picture of the Levicom.
    You might notice the similarity. ;)
    levvp500bbl.jpg
    edited July 2004
    Yes I would say thats the same psu from the pics anyway. There may be subtle differances but even the interior painted surfaces are the same color.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    i have a 550 aspire one from performance-pcs.com and its great 3 fans and sleeved cables. he is expensive but i am kinda in with him ( i do some reviews ) and i got it at 1/2 price couldnt be happier
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    Tex...

Any word on the PSU... Ive been looking at the same unit. A 500w for 59.99 locally. I liked the high amps on the 12v rail. Id be interested on how it does..

Gobbles
    edited July 2004
    I haven't ever moved the last pieces in. I need to get off my ars and do it this morning. The case is all clear blue acrylic and I have been trying to get all the lights and fans sleeved andc the wires all soldered and stuff before I moved it. I have been painting fan covers and was actually gonna paint the bottom of the Aspire metallic blue also but for now I think I'll just move the scsi drives to its new home and get it going. I have a dvd-ram/dvd burner that matchs for now but its not the drive I want to end up in it.

The system will have two 15k scsi drives, two 120gb IDE's and a dvd drive plus all the fans and crap so I should be pushing it pretty good. The 15k scsi's jerk it pretty good when first powering up. I had been running them in an external unit with their own psu . 59 was what I paid at Fry's I think. Something around in that range. It was under 60 bucks anyway.

Tex
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Let us know how it goes :)

Just looking at that power supply, it doesn't look like it's a 500w unit, or anything even close, but maybe it is.
    edited July 2004
    I assume you mean by the amps on each line?

Tex
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Actually, I was referring to the size of the components (heatsinks, capacitors, etc.) inside the power supply. I've got a 550w Antec True Control, a 550w Enermax, a 400w Antec, a 350w Antec SL, and 2 300w Enermaxes, and that Aspire power supply's innards look more like the 400w and below power supplies than it does the 550s.
    edited July 2004
    You and I differ then on how to judge the wattage of a psu.

Tex
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    Here is a kicker for you...

We brought in a HP ML330 http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11614_na/11614_na.HTML

I packed it with:
    2x DE110 IDE hotswap trays from storcase
    2x Maxtor 250gb driveline 2 drives for the swap trays.
    2x Panasonic DVDRam SW9572c
    3ware 2 channel ide raid controller
    and filled the PCI slots with voice boards (specialty cards for recording calls from phone trunks)
    all this running on a liteon 300w PSU. Thats the PSU hp uses in that model. Ran perfect. We burned it in under full load for 200+ hours with out a single hiccup.

Gobbles
    edited July 2004
    Ok I finally put the sucker together. Its got two 120gb maxtors ide's, a pair of 15k scsi's that suck more juice, a dvd burner, its a 3200+ amd 64 on a neo motherboard. It also has four CCFL tubes and three 80mm fans with leds and the heatsink has a 92mm fan on it.

In the bios its showing the 5 volt line at 5.1 and the 12volt at 11.92.

The scsi drives are in fancy removable hot swap racks and they have an LCD screen on them and they monitor drive temps as well as the 12volt and 5 volt lines real time in their display and they are showing 12.1 volts on the 12volt and 5.1 on the 5 volt from those leads.

Tex
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Sweet. What I'm wondering though is why they didn't make either everything on the PSU green, or everything blue. The mix of colors seems like it wouldn't go well with most cases.
    edited July 2004
    The cover is clear and the base is black and really thats what shows most in my clear acrylic case. You really can't see much inside the PSU Without really peering inside. The sleeving is green though and some of the heatsinks inside sorta match that. My case is blue acrylic but I actually used several differant colors sleeving stuff inside.

My case is crammed with stuff and it was hard enough trying to make it look even halfway clean with all the cables, ccfl inverters and power and fans etc..